Beta now available: PocketGPS Speed Cameras for AppToDate

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
beta.png
The Beta release is ready! Visit this post for details!

New features added to the Beta! Visit this post for details!

- Are you a subscriber to the PocketGPS Speed Camera database?
- Do you use the database with TomTom (or perhaps another navigation solution)?
- Are you frustrated by manually downloading / decompressing / copying updates every time a new database comes online?
- Would an AppToDate script for deploying said updates be the answer to all your prayers?

If so, then please reply below to help me Beta test such a wonderous thing.

Hurrah! :)

P

beta.png
- Are you a subscriber to the PocketGPS Speed Camera database?

- Are you frustrated by manually downloading / decompressing / copying updates every time a new database comes online?

- Would an AppToDate script for deploying said updates be the answer to all your prayers?

If so, then please reply below to help me Beta test such a wonderous thing.

Hurrah! :D

P

Go on then... Only if you let me help out with the code too :)

>Do you use the database with TomTom (or perhaps another navigation solution)?

Yes.

>Are you frustrated by manually downloading / decompressing / copying updates every time a new database comes online?

Grrr, yes.

>Would an AppToDate script for deploying said updates be the answer to all your prayers?

Yay, yes yes yes.

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, more questions for prospective testers...

- Where do you copy the files to on your device? (i.e. the path)

- Which version of the databse do you download, the 'all in one' one or specific parts?

P

>Where do you copy the files to on your device? (i.e. the path)

'Storage Card\Western_Europe'

>Which version of the databse do you download, the 'all in one' one or specific parts?

'UK - Speed Zoned Complete' and 'EUR - Single file with all cameras'.

Guest 1straven

Yes.

Heck Yes

Ohhhhhhhh Yes

OK, more questions for prospective testers...

- Where do you copy the files to on your device? (i.e. the path)

- Which version of the databse do you download, the 'all in one' one or specific parts?

P

Touch Diamond so Internal Storage/Western_europe_1Gb

I use the zoned database. Not sure which is better but I do like having alerts that tell me the speed limit on the road.

Guest Paul (MVP)

'Storage Card\Western_Europe'

>Which version of the databse do you download, the 'all in one' one or specific parts?

'UK - Speed Zoned Complete' and 'EUR - Single file with all cameras'.

Why speed zoned complete rather than UK single file? Does that give you different alerts or something?

P

Why speed zoned complete rather than UK single file? Does that give you different alerts or something?

Yep - individual warnings for each speed limit and type of camera e.g. gatso 30, gatso 40, specs etc.

Single File: Contains all the speed cameras in a single file irrespective of type. This category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories:

pocketgps_uk_sc

Consolidated by Type: Contains one file for each type of speed camera. This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits:

pocketgps_uk_gatso

pocketgps_uk_mobile

pocketgps_uk_redlight

pocketgps_uk_specs

Speed Zoned: Contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras:

About 20 files....

Guest jchamier

I use the UK speed zoned one too. Although at the moment this is going on my Go 500, I'd like to switch to the Kaiser with TomTom.

Is it possible to actually buy TomTom Navigator anymore ? :-(

anyone know if the software is effectively "free" but the maps are charged for, as I've found a download, but not sure if I should use it, as it will "phone home" if I link it up to my PC with TomTom Home installed.

Guest Fizz_daz

yes yes yes!!!!

'My Storage\Western_Europe'

Uk Consolidated by type & Europe consolodated by type

I also use IGO8.. what about doing those??

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, I've figured out how to do it and not limit it to just TomTom I think.

I'm going to code the bulk of it today, and will be in touch with testers early next week I think...

Incidentally, this will be a 'quidapp', therefore you'll need to pay a £1 one off payment to buy it... fair?

P

Guest zarquon

Hi Paul

This would be good. :) but I fear I may be a problem.

I have co-pilot 7 on a TyTN II and I use the UK- consolidated File. Once the file is unzipped I copy the csv files ed to \Storage Card\copilot\EU\Save. You also have to delete ao*.* from that folder when co-pilot is off and the csv files are imported the next time you start the app.

Regards

Richard

Guest Paul (MVP)

It would be possible to delete those files perhaps in a post-xml file in the CAB. Not trivial, but possible... do they have consistent filenames (not sure you can do wildcard delete)

P

Guest zarquon
It would be possible to delete those files perhaps in a post-xml file in the CAB. Not trivial, but possible... do they have consistent filenames (not sure you can do wildcard delete)

P

The files are called:

aocattyp.dat

aopoi.dat

aopoi.fts

aopoi.gdx

aopoi.gnf

aopoi.gnx

aopoi.nms

aopoi.tdx

aopoi.tst

aotyp.dat

Looking around the co-pilot files, in the places folder, there are exactly the sames files without the "ao" on the front. These files are larger and are presumably the main places of interest for the application. There is one additional file called poi.imp which has zero size and I do not recollect ever seeing a aopoi.imp.

You wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up the csv files as they disappear after the import is done on the next start of co-pilot.

regards

Richard

Guest Paul (MVP)

I hope to be able to release something to testers tonight or tomorrow.

What are everyone's thoughts on paying £1 for the application? Bear in mind this covers development, future development and hosting of the server side portion...?

P

Guest jonajuna

add me to the beta ist if still recruiting please

info you asked for:

speed zoned database (for the reasons others explained)

\Storage Card\United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland (pretty sure this can be renamed to something else for ease though)

pay you a quid? its less than a pint which i'll buy anyone that saves me a bit of work :)

Edited by jonajuna

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm pleased to announce that the beta test is ready! :)

At this point use of 'PocketGPS Speed Cameras for AppToDate' is free, however when I am satisfied the Beta is functioning as desired, i'll 'flick the switch' on the authentication component meaning only users that have paid their £1 can use the service.

Installation

The first step is to decide which databases you want to install on your device. Each database type has a unique numerical index on PocketGPS, and you need to note down the indexes that you would like.

To find your indexes...

- Visit the Speed Cameras page here and select your desired database type (e.g. TomTom)

- You will now be presented with the different download options. In turn, select the ones you want to download. When you reach the download page, you will note that the URL ends with a number (e.g. TomTom EV2 Speed Zoned Complete UK is 'http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=DownloadPackage&idPackage=1', i.e. index '1'). Note this number down (and the indexes of any other databases you want to download)

- Now you have your indexes, you are ready to set up your device - visit http://www.apptodate.org/pocketgps/start.html either from your PC (and copy the CAB) or directly from your device.

- From this Start page, download AppToDate if you do not already have it installed

- Enter all the fields on the Start page, double and triple checking everything, particularly your PocketGPS credentials! When prompted for your indexs, enter them comma delimited, i.e. 1,29,57

- Hit the button to retrieve your initial CAB, which sets up AppToDate (but does not install any camera databases at this time)

- Then your initial CAB is installed, run AppToDate on your device to get the current database. You're seeing the system in action!

That's it, you're done, you can now just run AppToDate periodically to check you have the latest database.

Please post feedback here, thanks! :D

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.