New to Touch...

Guest college_pilot

Guest college_pilot

First of all Im new to this whole adding and modding stuff on my phones. Ive had different HTC phones over the past few year simply because I Just used it for texting. Now thanks to my friend who just got a Omnia and joined this site he got me wanting to do more with my Touch that I recieved last week thanks to a manufacturers warranty. Im kinda hesitant on modifying anything drastic but Im tired of my home screen being bland and not having some other features Id like.

First Id love to change my home screen. I hated the Touchflo 3d so i disabled it and just added the bland buttons but I really would like to change that. Any way of getting a new home screen thats more user friendly that i can edit what i want on it?

Second I love the version of opera mobile that comes with the phone but it doesnt seem to load java correctly. I try to view my gmail account and it just loads a blank white screen (yes java is enabled) and Opera doesnt offer support unless you pay for it. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Third Id love to learn how to use the GPS in this phone to do Geocacheing but I dont know anyhting about using GPS's on phones. Does it cost extra with ATT or is a free built in feature? if so how do I go about using it?

Finally Id love to set my own music tones to play when I recieve txts. HTC says this isnt something windows mobile allows yet my friend with the Omnia (who also runs WinMobile) can do it.... any idea how to get past this on the Touch?

THanks

Guest estechco
apparently this fourm isnt as used as the omnia's.... tisk tisk diamond users

On the basis of what...slow response to this question...or a generally quieter forum?

If the latter, then is that not because the diamond has been out longer, so most early adopters have figured out everything they need?

Guest estechco
Any way of getting a new home screen thats more user friendly that i can edit what i want on it?

Through settings->today you should have a grand variety of changes you can make. Either choose an existing theme or there are theme editors around that you can create your own from scratch. There are also many today add in components that can change the look and feel of the home screen.

Second I love the version of opera mobile that comes with the phone but it doesnt seem to load java correctly. I try to view my gmail account and it just loads a blank white screen (yes java is enabled) and Opera doesnt offer support unless you pay for it. Any ideas on how to fix it?

You could try SkyFire for any tasks that Opera doesn't quite get right (of which there aren't too many)

Third Id love to learn how to use the GPS in this phone to do Geocacheing but I dont know anyhting about using GPS's on phones. Does it cost extra with ATT or is a free built in feature? if so how do I go about using it?

The GPS itself shouldn't cost you anything to use. There is for instance an HTCGPStool which gives you raw long/lat type information for basic map reading. Search xda-developers.com for more info. If you want to use Google maps with your GPS then you will likely be charged by your network for the downloading of maps as and when required. I can't speak for ATT (being UK based), but many networks these days give you unlimited data downloads as part of your bundle, so this (for me anyway) isn't an issue. If you use satnav s/w such as TomTom then you would obvioulsy have to pay initially for the software and maps but there should be no onging charge thereafter.

Finally Id love to set my own music tones to play when I recieve txts. HTC says this isnt something windows mobile allows yet my friend with the Omnia (who also runs WinMobile) can do it.... any idea how to get past this on the Touch?

Again, seems to work fine for me under settings->sounds & notifications. The "phone: incoming call" has a slightly different set of choices, but txt messaging allows for custom sounds as well. You may have to place them in the windows directory for them to be seen.

Guest college_pilot
Through settings->today you should have a grand variety of changes you can make. Either choose an existing theme or there are theme editors around that you can create your own from scratch. There are also many today add in components that can change the look and feel of the home screen.

You could try SkyFire for any tasks that Opera doesn't quite get right (of which there aren't too many)

The GPS itself shouldn't cost you anything to use. There is for instance an HTCGPStool which gives you raw long/lat type information for basic map reading. Search xda-developers.com for more info. If you want to use Google maps with your GPS then you will likely be charged by your network for the downloading of maps as and when required. I can't speak for ATT (being UK based), but many networks these days give you unlimited data downloads as part of your bundle, so this (for me anyway) isn't an issue. If you use satnav s/w such as TomTom then you would obvioulsy have to pay initially for the software and maps but there should be no onging charge thereafter.

Again, seems to work fine for me under settings->sounds & notifications. The "phone: incoming call" has a slightly different set of choices, but txt messaging allows for custom sounds as well. You may have to place them in the windows directory for them to be seen.

On my Today options it doesnt give me many options to change. either I have to use the touchflo 3d or generic buttons that are small and bland. I know there's editorial programs out there but I dont know what they are, how to use them, or where to get them.

I dont want to use a different program then opera I just want to fix the version I have.

I know how to put in my own ringtones for incomeing calls but it is not the same location for txt messageing. I know how to edit the sounds for txt mesg using the sounds already on the phone but not how to use my own.

Im sorry but the only thing useful in your reply was the GPS stuff.

Guest Rooster Misfit
I dont want to use a different program then opera I just want to fix the version I have.

try downloadin opera again on your phone also you might need to update the java and flash.... you just got the phone so there might be updates for it... so check the support section of your carrier

I know how to put in my own ringtones for incomeing calls but it is not the same location for txt messageing. I know how to edit the sounds for txt mesg using the sounds already on the phone but not how to use my own.

he said put them in the "windows" directory of your phone... plug your phone in to your computer and open up "my computer" then click on the phone in there. find your "windows" folder and then drag and drop any songs or ringtones in there... only takes .wav and .mp3 i think.... with my phone i have to go in one of the storage devices and create a my documents and throw them in there

Guest estechco
he said put them in the "windows" directory of your phone... plug your phone in to your computer and open up "my computer" then click on the phone in there. find your "windows" folder and then drag and drop any songs or ringtones in there... only takes .wav and .mp3 i think.... with my phone i have to go in one of the storage devices and create a my documents and throw them in there

Sorry I perhaps didn't make that clear enough. I meant the windows folder on the phone. Mine also has a "Rings" sub-folder beneath that which seems to pick up other wav/mp3 files. Try it for youself, it seems to work just fine?

As for, Opera, if it doesn't do everything you want then, make sure you have the latest update and if not...seek an alternative?

For Theme Editing try Theme Maker or possibly Theme Generator. I think these typically generate a .tsk file which again needs to be put into the windows directory of the phone and should then show up through settings->today

Guest Rooster Misfit
For Theme Editing try Theme Maker or possibly Theme Generator. I think these typically generate a .tsk file which again needs to be put into the windows directory of the phone and should then show up through settings->today

i think he was meaning something more visually stimulating but customizeable... the flo3d or what ever looks nice but it has way to much crap on it.... he is looking for something that he can put what he wants on the main screen but still look nice and avoid that tasteless windows default look

Guest bramtai
also does anyone know if the ZAGG company that makes those scratch films for your phones is legit?

Yes it is legit and the screensavers are great. I use on all my screens, one at least 4 years old and they offer a lifetime guarantee replacement.

Guest Mr Alom

Yeap, they're legit, I've used their product for my last two devices/phones.

also does anyone know if the ZAGG company that makes those scratch films for your phones is legit?

Guest estechco
i think he was meaning something more visually stimulating but customizeable... the flo3d or what ever looks nice but it has way to much crap on it.... he is looking for something that he can put what he wants on the main screen but still look nice and avoid that tasteless windows default look

Ok, perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought he said he'd already disabled TF3D.

If you are persisting with it, then try TF3DConfig and/or some of the themes for TF3D

Guest college_pilot

Yea a friend of mine showed me how to use TF3D config after i posted this and Ive looked over on xda for themes but didnt find much. Your link you posted for themes didnt work but thanks for trying. I guess Ill just have to get ballsy and try installing a ROM on my phone to get any changes to work that i like. thanks again

Guest andybarker
Yea a friend of mine showed me how to use TF3D config after i posted this and Ive looked over on xda for themes but didnt find much. Your link you posted for themes didnt work but thanks for trying. I guess Ill just have to get ballsy and try installing a ROM on my phone to get any changes to work that i like. thanks again

The link didn't work for me last night either, but works fine now - guess they had a glitch.

Guest moo_ski_doo

You can actually get TomTom itself for free here and you should get one map (of a single area / city) for free too. Nice to try out GPS and get to understand it, but to make it useful you will have to pay.

Also on that subject, if you want to geotag photos you'll need to edit an registry entry for some reason... It's probably easiest to use DiamondTweak or similar to do this.

Guest estechco
You can actually get TomTom itself for free here and you should get one map (of a single area / city) for free too. Nice to try out GPS and get to understand it, but to make it useful you will have to pay.

Also on that subject, if you want to geotag photos you'll need to edit an registry entry for some reason... It's probably easiest to use DiamondTweak or similar to do this.

If my experiences are anything to go by, TomTom treat these installations as very much illegal. You may get away with a quick trial with your free map, but phone them for any support or further maps and they'll immediately rumble you shouldn't have the s/w.