[Testing] Getting an emulator up and running a full ROM with the Market etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks for this it's working great except I can't get the GPS emulator(geo fix command from telnet localhost 5554) working with it. Seems to only work if i disable GSM when creating the AVD file. Of course no GSM no internet access to play with google maps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pabs(Sco)

Thanks Paul!

Got this running last night, as was impressed. Since I have not got an android device its a great way to play about with it. Gotta try the hero one now :)

Guest unimaster

Im sorry if this is a very, VERY dumb question, but what do you mean when you say "3. Run a command prompt, and change to the 'tools' directory of the SDK (or add the tools directory to your path).

4. Type 'android list target'"?

because it dosent seem like my command prompt is doing stuff, it will say ''"E:\My Documents\Android SDK Hero ed\android-sdk-windows-1.6_r1\tools"' is not

recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file."

im rly un sure of what I need to do here, unless this step is skippable

EDIT: Fixed issue

Edited by unimaster

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kroosh@android

i tried it with system.img from my Hero nandroid backup... got this error message while starting the emulatore:

emulator: ERROR: system image file too large for device's hardware configuration (156 MB > 72 MB).

Aborting !

any clue?

• 6 months later...
Guest perevers

Tried this yesterday with a 2.1 Eclair rom.

Followed the guide, but created a 2.1 avd.

Made a NanDroid backup of my current 2.1 Rooted Rom and took the system.img file.

But for some reason the emulator will not load it.

Anyone know why it wont work?

Per

• 2 months later...
Guest bhups

How would one create a system.img without Nandroid but use the contents of the ROM system folder?

Its very inconvenient if I have to keep backing up and wiping my phone to get a clean image.

Many thanks in advance.

Guest bhups
Best way is probably to create a nandroid backup from your modified recovery image, then copy the system.img that it creates from your SD card?

P

I tried this, but it does not work.

Any other methods?

Guest marotoweb
Tried this yesterday with a 2.1 Eclair rom.

Followed the guide, but created a 2.1 avd.

Made a NanDroid backup of my current 2.1 Rooted Rom and took the system.img file.

But for some reason the emulator will not load it.

Anyone know why it wont work?

Per

I have tried to create a system.img extracted directly from a cooked ROM (*. zip) and some problems that prevent booting from the ROM emulator is wrong permissions of extracted files from *. zip package

You must grant execute permissions for binaries in /system/bin and /system/xbin, use chmod in you linux box

When the permissions are correct mkyaffs2image comes to package system.img

1st Extract the system folder from the rom_package_you_want.zip

2nd Set correct permissions

3rd Package the system folder with the mkyaffs2image

# ./mkyaffs2image system system.img

Then stay tuned to logcat to discover the next problem

• 1 month later...
I have tried to create a system.img extracted directly from a cooked ROM (*. zip) and some problems that prevent booting from the ROM emulator is wrong permissions of extracted files from *. zip package

You must grant execute permissions for binaries in /system/bin and /system/xbin, use chmod in you linux box

When the permissions are correct mkyaffs2image comes to package system.img

1st Extract the system folder from the rom_package_you_want.zip

2nd Set correct permissions

3rd Package the system folder with the mkyaffs2image

# ./mkyaffs2image system system.img

Then stay tuned to logcat to discover the next problem

Just thought I would post what I found on this subject. I'm also having problems getting a custom rom into my emulator. I recently compiled my own rom from ASOP. After reading what marotoweb wrote, I started thinking, hmm since I compiled Froyo from source maybe there is an system.img somewhere. After some searching, I found my system.img that was created when I compiled Froyo. It was located here in my source: /ASOP_Froyo_src/out/target/product/generic/system.img

When I check the info on the device I see my test-keys info under Build number.

Hope this helps someone. :huh:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello! i know this is a very old post, but I stumbled on it and would really love to learn how to turn custom rom zips into these system images. I anyone could help i would be very grateful! I've tried the images listed and they seem to work just fine. However, i've tried to create system.img's from nandroid and have had no sucess even when adding chmod u+x to the bin and xbin as suggested... thank you

• 3 weeks later...
Guest livlogikGRP

i need help... i found out how to make .img files but what do i put in it? should i put just the system folder in the system.img or the contents of the system folder in the system.img ...... or do i just take the whole rom folder and make it the system.img.

Please help!,

Thanks

Zach

• 2 months later...
Guest robert1968

Hi,

I not found recent cyanogenmod rom image for android emulator, but found an excellent description how to do:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Compile_CyanogenMod_for_Emulator ://http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.p...d_for_Emulator

I did it step by step and it is working!!

see attached cyan pic shot in emulator. :mellow:

(Beware compile takes at least 5 ours )

If someone needs ramdisk.img system.img and userdata.img I will put in rapidshare or megaupload...

Robert

post-867390-1303917690_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Falworth
Hi,

I not found recent cyanogenmod rom image for android emulator, but found an excellent description how to do:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Compile_CyanogenMod_for_Emulator ://http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.p...d_for_Emulator ://http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.p...d_for_Emulator

I did it step by step and it is working!!

see attached cyan pic shot in emulator. :mellow:

(Beware compile takes at least 5 ours )

If someone needs ramdisk.img system.img and userdata.img I will put in rapidshare or megaupload...

Robert

Hi Robert,

I was just looking for the same, but unfortunately I couldn't find a current cyanogenmod emulator image for testing.

So if you don't mind I would be very cool if you could upload the img files.

JackF

• 1 month later...
Guest MobileWon
Hi Robert,

I was just looking for the same, but unfortunately I couldn't find a current cyanogenmod emulator image for testing.

So if you don't mind I would be very cool if you could upload the img files.

JackF

Yes Robert, I would greatly appreciate the img file also.

Edited by MobileWon

• 4 years later...
Guest elbarto96

hello, I am new to this forum, and I am a beginner with custom rom.

I tried to change the stock Android ROM with kitchen, once finished, I received in the output rom.zip. now I want to test it with Android emulator, I thus entered the system folder present in 'archive of the Rom in a system.img files I tried to run with Android emulator, but once it starts remains on the black screen.

able to help me?
thank you
Simone