T-Mobile supplying UK customers with iPhones

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_06-Aug-2009_25-Jul-2008_iphone3g_home.gif
T-Mobile supplying UK customers with iPhones

While we know that iPhone is only available to O2 as part of their exclusive agreement with Apple, T-Mobile has been buying unlocked iPhone 3G devices, and offering them to select customers as an incentive to extend their T-Mobile contracts.

How cool is that?!

Sources close to the network operator have confirmed that the company has been buying unlocked iPhone 3G devices, and offering them to select customers as an incentive to extend their T-Mobile contracts.

Although T-Mobile has declined to comment officially on the matter, the Telegraph understands that some long-standing, high-spending customers who are considering switching to O2, the official carrier partner for Apple's iPhone devices in the UK, are being offered an iPhone 3G if they pledge to stay with T-
Mobile.

The offer appears to apply to only those T-Mobile customers spending at least £70 per month, and is made at the discretion of customer service advisers dealing with the account. A very limited number of handsets are available.

However this is only available to customers who spend at least £70 a month with T-Mobile. Which is much more than the average monthly fee. But still, this is cool!

Do you spend more than £70 a month? If so, are you going to try this?

[Via: Telegraph Technology]

Guest Mysterious Stranger
While we know that iPhone is only available to O2 as part of their exclusive agreement with Apple, T-Mobile has been buying unlocked iPhone 3G devices, and offering them to select customers as an incentive to extend their T-Mobile contracts.

And what are they doing with regards setting up / supporting the special features such as visual voicemail?....

Some apple unlocked (allegedly) devices have been appearing at eXpensive's website.

M.S

Guest tsutton

Very good question - I would assume it's being set up via some sort of deployent methods or in-house software to set it up before sending it to customers.

Other sources is saying it's limited to 150 iPhones per week.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Very good question - I would assume it's being set up via some sort of deployent methods or in-house software to set it up before sending it to customers.

Other sources is saying it's limited to 150 iPhones per week.

Or perhaps they're uisng t-mobile germany stock? IIRC they supply the jesus phone officially - and if it's anything like the US Android G1 it'll have settings for all t-mob networks settings in it.

M.S

Guest paholman
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Slightly off topic here, so apologies in advance, but it's rumoured O2's exclusivity with the iPhone ends 9th October. Normally with network locked phones, the network charge a small fee to unlock the device if you want to leave and use your phone (which you've now paid for) with another network. Wishful thinking I know, but anyone reckon O2 will do this, or be forced to? Some of us on a contract ending soon may wish to move to another network, especially being as the 3G coverage with O2 is utter sh**e. We want to unlock it permanently as opposed to relying on TurboSIMs or a Dev Team software hack each time a firmware update is out.

I think it's locked on the baseband chip itself, so unlock codes are out of the question, unless Apple plan to end all network exclusives in the future, and via a firmware update, offer the ability to network unlock devices via a pin code, just like every other device out there.

I just want to use the device to it's full potential, i.e have 3G coverage at least where I live, and I think there's more dodgy hardware unlock solutions than there are genuine ones so difficult to find a place that would do it properly.

Edited by paholman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.