06/Jan - Installing the patched recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Marcony0
hi, im getting stuck at the fastboot command (im using a mac).

it says downloading boot.img failed.

so i tried recovery flash, which starts with a website on the textarea, i pressed backup, changed it to /sdcard/cmg-hero-recovery.img then it says failed.

help please

You sure you made it as a root user ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest troywhite
You sure you made it as a root user ?

I'm having exactly the same problem as the user you replied to, but I'm not sure what you mean by "made it as a root user"?

Could you please elaborate?

Guest toxic-hero
Question! I installed the cynagon recovery mod when I first got my Hero, so I could update to the modaco rom (then 2.0 I think, maybe sooner). I've been updating the Modaco rom ever since, great! Should I also update the recovery image, is there any benefit? And is it just a case of overwriting the old one by repeating the steps? Thanks.

i would also like to know this. anyone?

i would also like to know this. anyone?

Don't know excactly if it is useful, but that's what I did. from scratch. Now, I run the RA-1.3.2 image. You get the new menus and it's worth the try. :D

Guest toxic-hero
Don't know excactly if it is useful, but that's what I did. from scratch. Now, I run the RA-1.3.2 image. You get the new menus and it's worth the try. :D

and where do you get the latest? at the beginning of his thread or somewhere else?

also, did you have any kind of troubles after this? applying new modaco roms or anything?

Edited by toxic-hero

and where do you get the latest? at the beginning of his thread or somewhere else?

also, did you have any kind of troubles after this? applying new modaco roms or anything?

Look at this forum topic: Amon Ra recovery image 1.5.1 out

I installed it without any problems - the menu system looks a lot tidier than in v1.2.3 that is in the attachment at the beginning of this thread. Not really noticed any other differences yet, but I haven't really played with it yet!

Iain

Guest blueswadeshoes

This doesn't work for me. After I type:

fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.2.3.img

I get this error: FAILED (remote: not allow)

What can i do?!

Thx

I tried running this on my G2 and can't get it to load when pressing the home + power buttons. Instead I get an image like this (shown on a G1) http://bero.freqvibez.net/public/g1/7.jpg

The first time I ran the first line I got "adb server is out of date. killing... * daemon started sucessfully *". From there I ran the second line and it worked as expected. The recovery screen loaded, I ran Nandroid backup. I also managed to install the latest radio. It seems the only way I'm able to get to the patched recovery is running these commands while my Hero is connected via USB.

Any pointers as to how to get the home + power combination working? Thank you.

Edited by mr_tim

Guest toxic-hero
This doesn't work for me. After I type:

I get this error: FAILED (remote: not allow)

try this. it worked for me.

adb kill-server

sudo adb start-server
than retry

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest PPING_CHN

hi,paul

great work!

i am a chinese and i am using sprint CDMA hero200

there are a problem bothering me very much

when i send text messages in chinese letters ,the receiver would receive the wrong-code message that cannot be read.

Would u be so kind to take some measures that making sprint hero support PDU(Protocol Data Unit) just like Dream\Magic\Hero in China.These GSM cell phones can Send/receive chinese SMS and they all run on android 1.5.

Any chance to support chinese SMS in near future?

thanks anyway

I found this video on youtube from theunlockr on how to install the recovery on your phone with a terminal emulator...

I followed it and upgraded my hero with the new 1.5.2.. works like a charm

(if its not allowed to post links, I apologize)

I found this video on youtube from theunlockr on how to install the recovery on your phone with a terminal emulator...

Shame that 'better terminal' costs.

Newbie here on flashing...

Im running Win7 w/ HTC Sync, the adb lists devices fine and such and Im able to run commands. I tried running the windows shell and keep getting ./ invalid command, so I redid the commands to be line by line and that seems to go through ok, until I get to

SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.

#

Nothing seems to happen after that and I cant type anything in. If I run the adb shell /dala/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh manually I get the same message and cant type anything in the #.

I figured this process would take about 1-2 mins but nothing has happened after several mintes, so Im not sure if Im missing something when I redid the .bat file or because its not all on one line?

I have an HTC HERO from SPRINT in the US.

Just an FYI: Im assuming I need to do this to 1. run the nandroid backup and 2. when I put the update.zip on and goto flash I keep getting these 'verification failed' messages. I tried the modaco rom and the 2.1 1.7 rom from htc-developers forum.

thanks in advance!

No luck here with scripts completing on Win7 or Mac 10.5 - stopped at "enjoy the shell" right after it SUs the adb shell. Executed the script by hand instead; <3 TextEdit on one side, Terminal on the other.

I was trying the same thing after going through this but I get stuck at the shell mount -o remount command. I get an error that adb is not found, because its executing from the # prompt. I try it w/o the adb shell by just typing mount -o remount ... and that gives an error too. Running the commands manually yields the ability to type up to the command that calls the /system/bin/sh where you just sit at a shell prompt.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scar4ace

hi guys

quick qst for GSM HTC Hero.....Basically I didnt use any coding or typing in dos commands...i used flashrec.apk file and then a cyanogen img to flash the patched recovery on my device....booted into recovery mode...and then made a nandroid backup of my phone (which was on the official unrooted 2.73.405.5 ROM).....

after doing nandroid backup, I proceeded to root/load modaco custom ROM 2.8.......then I decided to revert back to original HTC hero rom due to some problems (my SMS messages started coming to the phone late...upto 4-5 hours after the SMS were sent to my phone....this didnt happpen on official 2.73.405.5 ROM)...anyone have this problem? anyway...so basically I done nandroid restore.....but now i have the flashed patched recovery image (cyanogen) that I put on using flashrec.apk..........how do i return the original recovery console so that if the phone goes back to HTC for warranty they cant tell i been flashing images/roms to the phone.

Thanks all in advance!

Followed to a T and now I can't boot into recovery, thankfully the Hero boots normally. Would it be worthwhile finding an previous version of the recovery image and just flashing again?

EDIT: Ignore that. Obviously had a corrupted .img file

Edited by scuj1