How I Transfered Windows Mobile SMS to Android

Guest patzek

Guest giankap
you can edit, delete or insert sms messages with my smsimporter. when you read in the xml file you can full edit all sms messages. Sorting is also possible by clicking on the columnheaders...

I've seen this feature, but my situation is that i've about 1000 sms, about 400 of these are duplicated. Using excel and access i've obtained a file excel without duplicates. My need is to copy the rows of this file in smsimporter, and this seem not to be possible because, as far as I can see, i can't make multiple selection and copy past in sms importer. Thus, the solution could be exporting the corret xls file in xml from excel, befor opening it qhit smsimporter, but I can't success in this task.

thank you

Guest SKORPiO1975
Normaly my SMSImporter also link SMS Messages together like Android does this. I check this by comparing the Phonenumber from Sender/Receiver with the existing ones and when i find the right one then the message get attached to the existinig thread. The only reason that i can think what happens on your side that all of your Messages get an own thread is that the Numbers in your Messages are looking other then the Numbers in the Messages of the other Person (Country Code maybe??? )

Messagetype = 1 = Received Message

Messagetype = 2 = Sended Message

It all worked out when I manually changed Message type on my messages to "2" in your program. Now all messages are in one thread :)

Thank you for all your work. regards, Bart.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some problem.

every thing seem to be ok in All messages but if click into detail it will display "Loading..." for long long time and nothing happen.

How can I fix this problem?

Some more informations would be helpfully (what you have done, Rom Version..., which telefone ...) but i saw this kind of problem on my hero when i use a old database file (1.76.xxx) on a new rom (2.73.xxx)

Guest RemoteSojourner

adb shell
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
ALTER TABLE sms ADD COLUMN index_on_sim INTEGER DEFAULT -1;
(Press Control-D)
exit[/codebox]

This should fix your db

use this commands:

adb shell

su

cd /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases

cat mmssms.db > /sdcard/mmssms.db

exit

exit

now you have the database on your sdcard and can be transfered with normal usb transfer

to write it back from the sdcard do:

adb shell

su

mv mmssms.db mmssms.db.old

cat /sdcard/mmssms.db > ./mmssms.db

chown radio.radio mmssms.db

chmod 660 mmssms.db

exit

exit

hope this helps

Hi trying to do this on my hero but whenever I type the command 'su' it says

/ # su

su

/sbin/sh: su: not found

/ #

This is on a hero with Modaco custom rom 2.2 and cyanogen v1.4 +JF

please help

Ok I did all the steps and it had no errors but after restarting the phone i got an error message which says

Sorry - The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectely. Please try again - Force close - (this happens every 10 secounds or so and stop the phone from receiving signal)

Also

Sorry - The application Messages (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectely. Please try again - Force close

and

Sorry - The process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectely. Please try again - Force close

no sms have been imported either :-(

any ideas?

Thanks

edit one error

# cd /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases

# mv mmssms.db mmssms.db.old

# cat /sdcard/mmssms.db > ./mmssms.db

# chown radio.radio mmssms.db

chown: unknown user/group radio:radio

# chmod 660 mmssms.db

chmod 660 mmssms.db

#

Edited by hinz

Ok I did all the steps and it had no errors but after restarting the phone i got an error message which says

Sorry - The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectely. Please try again - Force close - (this happens every 10 secounds or so and stop the phone from receiving signal)

Also

Sorry - The application Messages (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectely. Please try again - Force close

and

Sorry - The process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectely. Please try again - Force close

no sms have been imported either :-(

any ideas?

Thanks

edit one error

the error message says something radio:radio but on android it should be radio.radio

have you entered radio:radio or radio.radio?

alternative you can use 1001.1001 which is the user id and group id for radio

the error message says something radio:radio but on android it should be radio.radio

have you entered radio:radio or radio.radio?

alternative you can use 1001.1001 which is the user id and group id for radio

I noticed that too, I entered radio.radio.

Tried 1001.1001

and...

sucess

The sms's have been imported

However the text messages only show the what the other person has said and not the original message that I sent (i.e. a one sided conversation)

Is this normal? how can I import the messages that I sent so they show in the threaded view?

Ignore above - think I should have named Outbox as Sent Items

thanks again patzek awesome tool :-)

Edited by hinz

Hi patzek...

First, thank you very much for your application...

Works well but I have a little problem...

The date and hour in XML file are correct, but when I write the mmssms.db and copy to the phone all messages shows the same hour: 02:00

¿How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, if I put the hour with your application... it writes well to the android database...

The problem is that SMSImporter.exe don't read the hour, only the date...

Can you correct this in another version please?

Regards.

I downloaded the 0.1Alpha version and it reads the hour perfectly...

But that version have the problem of the "recipient_address"...

Hope you can solve this in a 0.5Alpha version...

Thanks.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rough1977
use this commands:

adb shell

su

cat mmssms.db > /sdcard/mmssms.db

exit

exit

now you have the database on your sdcard and can be transfered with normal usb transfer

to write it back from the sdcard do:

adb shell

su

chmod 660 mmssms.db

exit

exit

hope this helps

After typing SU, I get: SU: Permission Denied.

Any Idea?

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
Guest anderneo

Hmm.. I noticed the date / time problem as well.. And I think I shouldn't import the text messages from my girl, apparently 4300 messages makes the loading veeeeeeeery slow :D.

Arg, should have known that..

Guest RemoteSojourner

I have a little over 2000 SMSs and my phone doesnt slow down at all. Do you have the latest modaco rom or you are running on stock hero rom?

Guest RemoteSojourner

No I didnt mean that..but you can always mess with the sqlite database and create about 10 threads out of those 4300 messages :D That would work well.

Guest anderneo

Hmm.. I think I'm doing something wrong..

The order the text messages appear are completely wrong. The last date it shows is from my previous phone instead the date of text messages received on my Hero ^^.

Any idea?

<br />Hmm.. I think I'm doing something wrong.. <br />The order the text messages appear are completely wrong. The last date it shows is from my previous phone instead the date of text messages received on my Hero ^^.<br />Any idea?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

When you open up your exported Messages in the App SMSImporter, does it shows the right send and receive Dates?

Guest anderneo

Jep, better: it displays the correct date.

But when I import my text messages in Android, the last text message received in my old phone is on top of the list, like I never received a text message on my new phone...

<br />Jep, better: it displays the correct date.<br /><br />But when I import my text messages in Android, the last text message received in my old phone is on top of the list, like I never received a text message on my new phone...<br />

so you mean your threadlist is dissorted?

I have around 2000 or 3000 sms that I would like to import, and first I was disillusioned by thinking of inserting all those manually through the SQLite Browser program. I tried your app and I can confirm that there is a problem with the time in version 0.4. The epoch values are all converted to the nearest whole integers (00:00:00 in my case) and thus some messages are displayed on top of each other since the time values for each message are totally equal.

However I managed to manipulate with the epoch values in the date column in the database by using the database editor, so that the message order of sent and received was swapped correctly the next time I pushed the mmssms.db file to its proper location, called the chown and chmod commands and rebooted the phone afterwards. I would recommend you to fix it in another release, otherwise great app and thanks a lot for doing this and making us all avoid the hard work!

It's a bit of a shame though that you are required to have the .NET Framework installed before it is possible to execute the file. It gives me some problems as I don't want to 'mess up' this computer by installing it, but fortunately I have access to a public school pc that had it installed already by Windows Update.

I managed to export all my sms' from a UIQ2.1 phone (Motorola A1000) by using the SMS Diary application (an alternative freeware application called ReadSMS is available here). Then I used the regular expressions in Notepad++ to convert the date format to be suitable for your XML converter and finally inserted the messages into the XML structure. If you're continuing your work with this app, I would recommend you to look on how you could implement this platform also. The Symbian OS doesn't store its messages in a database like environment. Instead it contains one Index file in the C:\system\Mail root and alle the messages are stored one-on-one as binaries in hexadecimal folders and files, for instance C:\system\Mail \ 00001001_S\e106f8e (ignore space)

Here's a sample file of the HTML-results produced by the SMS Diary application:

<html>

<head>

<title>My SMS Diary</title>

<style type="text/css">H3 {color:white;background-color:#2255AA;align="center";} .A {color:white;background-color:#2255AA;font-size:12px;} .B {color:white;background-color:#2255CC;font-size:12px;} .C {color:white;background-color:#2255AA;font-size:12px;} .D {color:white;background-color:#E3EBF7;font-size:12px;} .E	{color:white;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;} BODY {font-family:Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:#E3EBF7;} B {font-family:Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:#E3EBF7;} P {font-family:Arial,sans-serif;background:#E3EBF7;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : blue;}HR {color : #525D76;}DIV {color:white;background-color:#2255AA;} </style>

</head>

<body><div align="center">

<br/>

<h2 align="center">SMS Diary</h2>

<p>

</p>

</div><table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" align="center"><tr>

<td align="left">From</td>

<td align="right">To</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td align="left">10-11-2006</td>

<td align="right">08-10-2009</td></tr>

</table>

</div><p align="right">

To:<b> Recipient Name 1</b><br/>

Number: <a href="tel:+1460198839">+1460198839</a><br>

Sent: 10-11-2006   20:45<br/>

Jeg kan spille Monkey Island på min nye mobil. :) Det er en Motorola A1000. Bruger en emulator ved navn EScumm.<br/>

</p>

<p align="right">

To:<b> Recipient Name 2</b><br/>

Number: <a href="tel:+4614694521">+4614694521</a><br>

Sent: 19-11-2006   19:21<br/>

Hehe ja H'eren tog ulidelig lang tid. 16 stop/35 minutter fra Hovedbanegården. Havde jeg stadig boet her kunne jeg have været hjemme for 20 minutter siden, så forskellen er ikke så stor igen.<br/>

</p>

<p align="right">

To:<b> Recipient Name 3</b><br/>

Number: <a href="tel:+38219690701">+38219690701</a><br>

Sent: 19-11-2006   19:28<br/>

Jeg elsker regnvejr når jeg sveder, men nogle gange er det rart at have en hætte at kunne tage over. Det havde jeg dog ikke i dag.<br/>

</p>

<hr/><p align="center"> SMS diary created with SMS Diary for Symbian phones<br/><a href="http://www.olamelen.com">www.olamelen.com</a></p></p>

<p>

</p>

</body>

</html>
The only difference between the example of sent messages above and received messages is that To: is replaced with From: and the align="right" is made left. In this document the output is chronological and ascending with separators as every passes by month.
<a name=YYYYM(M)></a><div align="center">

<br/>

<h2 align="center">Month YYYY</h2>

<p>

</p>

</div>
Y = year M = month minus 1 - e.g. January equals 0, December equals 1 It is also possible to view a document sorted by separators between each different contact name, chronologically ascending. The code is as follows:
<a name=4249134287></a><div align="center">

<br/>

<h2 align="center">Name Middlename Surname 1</h2>

<p>

</p>

</div>

<p>

Number: <a href="tel:+2325676348">+2325676348</a><br>

Received: 07-09-2009 21:22<br/>

Hey nye som aldrende folk. Så er der møde i morgen klokken 18.30. Jeg holder oplæg om falske løsninger på klimaproblemerne og vi skal også snakke om aktion og ny kontaktperson. Skriv lige en sms tilbage om du kommer eller ej, så vi kan få overblik over om vi kan være i kælderen.<br/>Ps. hvis du vil have et punkt på dagsordenen, så skriv også tilbage til mig.<br/>

</p>

<a name=1054334400></a><div align="center">

<br/>

<h2 align="center">Name Surname 2</h2>

<p>

</p>

</div>

<p>

Number: <a href="tel:+673684246">+673684246</a><br>

Received: 07-04-2009 14:15<br/>

Hejssa! Hva så? hvordan sker den?<br/><br/>

</p>

<p>

Received: 18-04-2009 21:45<br/>

Så er det tid igen. Der er gået endnu en måned  uden et fristed. Vi går derfor på gaden imorgen søndag fra banegården. Kom mange!Send videre!<br/>

</p>

<p>

Received: 06-07-2009 22:18<br/>

Så skete det! Vi vil gerne takke jer for støtten gennem årene og har stablet en kæmpe støttefest på benene! Det foregår fredag og lørdag. 12 bands, dj's, folkekøkken osv. Bustur til København fredag og retur søndag. 300kr for en returbillet og forfriskninger undervejs. Lad os vælte KBH samlet! Program : se hjemmesiden<br/>

</p>

<a name=1091664672></a><div align="center">

<br/>

<h2 align="center">Name Surname 3</h2>

<p>

</p>

</div>

<p>

...and so on.

Edited by Karmus