22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest acooperfan

Thanks for the great advice - I bow to your expertise!

I too managed to install over the top - without a hitch - :D

Despite much reading I am unable to get apps2sd working - it's driving me nuts!

I have tried using paragon to partition the sd - partitioning as directed fat 32 - then ext2 - then a swap partition

when I put the card back in a2sd tells me the card needs formatting - can you tell me - where am I going wrong??

your help and advice is greatly appreciated

(apologies for being slightly off topic)

Guest Stevie B
Thanks for the great advice - I bow to your expertise!

I too managed to install over the top - without a hitch - :D

Despite much reading I am unable to get apps2sd working - it's driving me nuts!

I have tried using paragon to partition the sd - partitioning as directed fat 32 - then ext2 - then a swap partition

when I put the card back in a2sd tells me the card needs formatting - can you tell me - where am I going wrong??

your help and advice is greatly appreciated

(apologies for being slightly off topic)

From the little I know, you need to convert the ext2 partition to ext3 by #upgrade_fs

Hope that helps

Guest mavgink

hmm I tried to update the radio on my hero (NOT rooted)

but it gives me a sign error...

I just renamed the file to update.zip...

or do i need adp and flash the img..?

Guest scopes64
Just added radio 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31! :D

P

Thanks Paul.

Radio 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31 flashed no problems. I will report back on findings.

Edited by scopes64

Guest Stevie B

Thanks for the update Paul.

I really hope this helps with T-Mobiles poor signal around my area! I've installed it OK and so far so good! But then of course, the signal can go just like that...

I'll have a better idea tomorrow morning, so I'll post an update then

Thx again

Guest Stevie B
hmm the new radio also gives me a verification failed error...

can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? do i need cyan's recovery image?

To install an update your phone must be rooted and you will need the recovery image to boot into to install the update.zip

Guest Stevie B
Any change log (improvement or fixed) for this new radio.

Also feedback of finding from scope64 and stevie would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi khunjj - As i mentioned in my last post - all is good (better) at the moment, but night time the signal always seems to be a little better anyway. I will post on her tomorrow morning, as that is the time of the day that T-Mobile (in my area at least) signal is weakest. However, I will say I'm getting three bars on 2G (only had two at most before) and I've even had the 'H' symbol appear on 3G - so looking promising...

Guest cdmackay
Just added radio 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31! :D

Looks good to me, thanks Paul.

[tested: WLAN, GPRS, BT, GPS; all ok]

I note a slight change in the version reported by the phone, namely the addition of a 'B':

63.18.55.06U_6.35.05.15 # before

63.18.55.06BU_6.35.05.31 # after

anything to that?

Edited by cdmackay

Guest mavgink
To install an update your phone must be rooted and you will need the recovery image to boot into to install the update.zip

Aah I see, thought you didn't need root to install a radio update.

But I flashed the recovery image (cyan's) and all is working now.

I got a better reception here at work. Sometimes I lose my signal in the smoking area (to cloudy perhaps? :D)

But not anymore... so I definately see an improvement here.

thanks for your help.

Guest macdo03

I wan't to update to the HTC Generic 1.79.482.3 ROM from Orange UK, you mentioned that this is available without doing a wipe however all the supplied instructions has wipe as one of the steps. I also don't understand the radio bit. If I update the ROM will this not include the latest radio update if not how do I install the radio update after the rom update. I currently have Bassband version 63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25 and ROM version 1.76.61.3 on my device.

I also gather that by doing the nandroid backup, I can restore to the ROM (inc. settings/apps etc) if I change my mind.

Thanks in advance.

My Hero is radio (= Baseband version) is 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25

Can you tell me what the U means?

And can I safely install 63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31 ?

I have same as you and have done new radio updated.

Don't notice what improvement yet but new version should be better in general :D

New Baseband version is 63.18.55.06BU_6.35.05.31 (any1 know what BU mean?)

Guest cdmackay
I wan't to update to the HTC Generic 1.79.482.3 ROM from Orange UK, you mentioned that this is available without doing a wipe however all the supplied instructions has wipe as one of the steps. I also don't understand the radio bit. If I update the ROM will this not include the latest radio update if not how do I install the radio update after the rom update. I currently have Bassband version 63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25 and ROM version 1.76.61.3 on my device.

I also gather that by doing the nandroid backup, I can restore to the ROM (inc. settings/apps etc) if I change my mind.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure whether the Orange ROM would require a wipe. Easiest thing it just to try it without one, and see.

Updating the ROM does *not* also update the baseband/radio. You install the radio separately, and I would do that first, before updating the ROM. Just copy the radio zip file to the Hero and use the recovery image to apply. Exactly the same method as for applying the ROM update.

Nandroid backup will restore everything as it was, with the exception of the radio.

Guest fredzer

I have now upgraded my Hero to Generic 1.76.405.6 and latest radio. What I find odd, is that adb shell reboot bootloader doesn't work anymore. I get reboot: no such tool. Manually rebooting and then running fastboot from the DOS prompt works fine. Any reason why this could happen? I did a wipe before.

Guest macdo03

Ok, I've successfully done the update without doing a wipe. Everything is working fine and the Orange splash screen has gone. However in the HTC Mail app there is still an option to add Orange email, this does not bother me I am just wondering if the update has been applied correctly, it does say 1.79.482.3 as the build number under settings.

Thanks

Guest Igniztion
Added radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 as packaged with HTC Generic 2.73.405.5

P

Seems to work great here. I even got HDSPA which I usually never get in my apartment. Better reception perhaps. WLAN, GPS, BT, 3G and GSM Voice tested.

Guest RandyboY

Ive just bought my htc hero and im pretty new to all this. You are talking about update with and without radio, what does this mean? What is radio and why do you publish with and without? Ive installed(renamed to update.zip and put on my sd-card) the "update-hero-modacocustomrom-1.1-signed" and im very happy with the part that its rooted.

Please enlighten me?

Edited by RandyboY