10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

have you tried deleting rosie.odex, just leaving your modified rosie.apk?

look for smali/baksmali, afaik that are the tools for messing with odex i tried pushing edited rosie.apk and deleting rosie.odex and restarting phone. phone rebooted in vanilla launcher mode and no option for rosie. then i checked with root file manager and found out that rosie.odex wasnt created. so rosie wont work.

Guest cosy6ay

just to check is there any way to extract apk from a unrooted hero ?

going to root it later and wish to extract a application that is customize and installed by telco.

Get the stock rom, extract the maps.apk from /system/data it and push it over ;-)

Guest windz80

my contact picture in messages is missing.

is this due to me moving dalvik cache to SD with RA 1.5.2?

If it is, how do i undo it?

Using MCR 3.1 RC2 now.

Edited by windz80

Guest windz80

Using MCR 3.1 RC2 now.

Guest masterpfa

Using MCR 3.1 RC2 now.

Have you tried syncing your Google account. Do you use HTC Sync?

Guest thecastlefordkid

Right then chaps, an update on Roaming whilst using this ROM.

Much better than previous. When I've been out of the country before, turning off the Mobile Network setting did pretty much nothing, basically didn't seem to work so I resorted to usingToggle Data or APNDroid from the Market Place to cut off the data connection.

However, with MCR 3.1 RC2, no more need for the 3rd party apps. Turn off Mobile Network, ALL data connections stop (whereas the earlier ROMs, data for some apps turned off, most didn't). So, for me this gets a massive thumbs up.

Didn't have any problems with picking up a roaming network and it's happily switched from one to the other whilst I've moved around Dubai during the day. Another big thumbs up.

The Hero software has always been pants when roaming. Without realising, you could be running up a massive data bill without really do anything with your phone other than having it in your pocket. Whether this improvement is Paul's work or whether it's the .66 release that is based on, I'm not sure but I don't mind either way. It's a big improvement for me (someone who travels out of the contry every other week).

Edited by thecastlefordkid

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi Dan,

Here is the apk for googlemap v3.1.2,

Enjoy it B)

Cheers mate, although it wasn't me that was missing Google Maps - I just replied to someone else's post :)

I'm sure they'll find it helpful though! ;)

Guest windz80
Have you tried syncing your Google account. Do you use HTC Sync?

Yup my contacts are sync with Gmail.

I did use the HTC Sync.

The pictures are there initially.

Until I moved the dalvik cache to SD card taht's why i suspect thats the culprit.

Guest Laurentbon

Good afternoon all,

I am new to the forum and have just followed the instructions to root my HTC Hero (Orange UK) and I have installed the custom 'Core' update rom linked in from the first post

All went smoothly, thanks for the great help on the site but I notice that Android version is down to 1.5 compare to the stock version of 1.6 I had before.

Two questions if I may:

1/ What is the latest version ROM to install, or the greatest, I guess

2/ I am a bit confused about the "radio" roms from the radio post (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/291942/gsm-24-11-hero-roms-radios-in-update-zip-format/). Are they bo be installed instead of the custom rom or on the top of them? What version is the latest again?

Btw Paul, thank you for the great work!

L

Yup my contacts are sync with Gmail.

I did use the HTC Sync.

The pictures are there initially.

Until I moved the dalvik cache to SD card taht's why i suspect thats the culprit.

Move along now :)

Guest thecastlefordkid

Anyone having any issues when using the 'Back' key to exit out of an app?

HTC Mail plus a few others seem to have a problem for me at the moment (only seems to have started doing it very recently). The screen dims and hangs.

Only way to get things moving again is by pressing the Home key