Google Sync: Now with push Gmail support

Guest vinaymanro

Guest vinaymanro
22-Sep-2009_sync-comic.png
Great news. Google just turned on push Gmail support!

You can now get your Gmail messages pushed directly to your phone. Having an over-the-air, always-on connection means that your inbox is up to date, no matter where you are or what you're doing. Sync works with your phone's native email application so there's no additional software needed. Only interested in syncing your Gmail, but not your Calendar? Google Sync allows you to sync just your Contacts, Calendar, or Gmail, or any combination of the three.

To try Google Sync, visit m.google.com/sync from your computer.

Here is how to setup your account on your windows mobile handset.

Windows Mobile users have been waiting for this from Google for sometime. Well done Google for listening!

Important! Google Sync uses the Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® protocol. When setting up a new Exchange ActiveSync account on your Windows Mobile device, existing data may be removed from your phone. Please make sure to back up before you set up Google Sync.

Now all we need is the ability to sync multiple exchange accounts...!

More information can be found at http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/

Guest vinaymanro
awesome news! :)

update: working fine for me, on hosted gmail too :D now i can finally ditch seven and get mail previews in tf3d, cheers vinay :P

Yes it works for google apps accounts aswell.

Just go into your dashboard > service settings, and enable mobile mail.

Mine took a while to sync, I guess googles servers were overloaded with the initial rush. But its syncing perfectly now.

Yes it works for google apps accounts aswell.

Just go into your dashboard > service settings, and enable mobile mail.

Mine took a while to sync, I guess googles servers were overloaded with the initial rush. But its syncing perfectly now.

Can you set up exchange in Outlook on a PC now as well? Can't see anywhere on google that tells you the settings to configure this in Outlook.

Guest vinaymanro
Can you set up exchange in Outlook on a PC now as well? Can't see anywhere on google that tells you the settings to configure this in Outlook.

No google has only setup EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) so mobile only.

No google has only setup EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) so mobile only.

So still no way to synchronise my desktop Outlook with my gmail account and phone then? I assume if I use the Google Calendar sync application I can keep this up to date and this will propagate through, and by using imap can at least pull email to Outlook and have that sync through but no contact sync unless I want to become a Google business customer (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync) without using unreliable third party apps?

Guest UncleBeer`

I've tried this twice in the last 24 hours. Each time, emails took almost 10 minutes to show up. Maybe it's just slow servers, but I'm sticking with my 3rd party IDLE solution for now.

I am getting my gmails pushed to my diamond but can someone confirm whether this is a two way communication? With an IMAP connection when I delete items from my inbox they are deleted straight away from the server. This does not be to be the case here, after deleting from my device the email was still sitting on the sever. I dont want to then manually sync just to see the changes on the server, or am i expecting too much?

Hello all @ MoDaCo!!

It's been a while since I posted (over a year I think), and in the meantime I've got married, had another child, new job etc etc...I still check in from time to time to keep up with what's going on though, and still stay loyal to all things WinMo and haven't been tempted by al the pretenders :D

Anyway back on track........Gmail with proper Exchange! Awesome!

Actually not quite for me, all my mails have their attachments removed, I have tried toggling the settings, have the phone set to download the complete message, have removed and re-created the partnership, all to no avail. Every mail I receive has it's attachment removed, what am I missing??

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them

Many Thanks from a frustrated (and once very frequently posting) user :)

Phone is Touch Diamond BTW, in compact IV form with T-Mo 1.93 ROM

Guest Sterneman

Greetings all. I've been a lurker and user for quite a while, but haven't posted much. I had a Samsung Blackjack II that I got configured to sync to Google this way just fine. Unfortunately, it died, but I got a Samsung Omnia II (i8000) to replace it.

Here's my problem: I can't get my Omnia II to sync to Google. I've set it up using all the correct specifications, but it errors out. The support code it gives is 0x80070057. I've searched the internet for it, but haven't found anything relevant that helps me out. Has anyone else had issues with this? Thanks.

Gus

Samsung i8000 Omnia II, AT&T

I8000XXIG6

• 11 months later...
Guest dleeming

Hi,

Does any one know how to change the folder where Google Sync saves to.

Mine saved all to the Program Storage and not to the My Storage or Storage Card.

Any help would be greatly accepted

Greetings all. I've been a lurker and user for quite a while, but haven't posted much. I had a Samsung Blackjack II that I got configured to sync to Google this way just fine. Unfortunately, it died, but I got a Samsung Omnia II (i8000) to replace it.

Here's my problem: I can't get my Omnia II to sync to Google. I've set it up using all the correct specifications, but it errors out. The support code it gives is 0x80070057. I've searched the internet for it, but haven't found anything relevant that helps me out. Has anyone else had issues with this? Thanks.

Gus

Samsung i8000 Omnia II, AT&T

I8000XXIG6

Hello Sterneman, have you solved your problem ?

(I get the support code 0x80004005.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.