Can't get "Superuser permissions" to work [SOLVED]

Guest vman81

Guest vman81

Hey, after taking the plunge from my vanilla (2.73) Hero rom, everything looks good, and I was most exited about root privs.

However when I start "superuser permissions", I just get a black screen with the title on top. I tried enabling USB debugging as some have suggested, but it didn't change anything. The program does not hang, it just sits there with a black screen. :D

Isn't my hero supposed to be "rooted" as soon as i flash the MoDaCo rom? I tried 2.3, and had the same problems (and some extra lag), so i downgraded to 2.2 that runs perfectly, but still the same problem with superuser priv. If i try to run some commands (such as sudo or iwconfig I just get permission denied, as i did with the vanilla rom).

What am i doing wrong?

edit: I just misunderstood how this worked :) , see posts below

Edited by vman81

Guest kendon

same problem here. just a black screen.

i tried several ideas to solve the problem, but i can't find any sqlite file in my data dir, and i am unable to uninstall or replace the superuser app.

Guest clarkEEE1

I Dont think you can do a right lot with the superuser icon in the menu I might be wrong it just comes up blank anyway, certain apps need root to run which you need to allow when you run them. Superuser gives you access to all areas of the phone like the data and system folders and adb access through cmd prompt.

Guest simon211175

I think the blank screen is correct - it means nothing has requested super user access. If you plug your phone in to your PC and open a command prompt (cmd), then from the androidsdk/tools folder type adb shell you'll get a $ sign - then type su and you'll get a line in green on the superuser screen - tap it and give yourself access.

Guest kendon

lol, i think you are right. i just activated the tethering, and during that superuser permissions popped up and asked if i wanted to grant su rights for the tethering. i said always allow, and now when i fire up su permissions there is the entry for the tethering. AWESOME!

thx for the heads up!

edit: @vman8: be so kind and flag the topic with a leading [sOLVED] or something, could be useful to others!

Edited by kendon

• 3 months later...
Guest Sandorr
lol, i think you are right. i just activated the tethering, and during that superuser permissions popped up and asked if i wanted to grant su rights for the tethering. i said always allow, and now when i fire up su permissions there is the entry for the tethering. AWESOME!

thx for the heads up!

edit: @vman8: be so kind and flag the topic with a leading [sOLVED] or something, could be useful to others!

I installed the insecure boot image on my Nexus One. Adb works fine in root mode, but when I enter su in a terminal app, it says permission denied even after touching "Always" in the Superuser app. If I check the app it lists the app granted su access, but with the terminal it does not work. What could be wrong?

(I pushed su with "adb push su /system/bin" and changed the permissions of the app as 755, also installed Superuser.apk with "adb install Superuser.apk".)

Perhaps incompatible version?

Regards

Sandor

Guest Sandorr
I installed the insecure boot image on my Nexus One. Adb works fine in root mode, but when I enter su in a terminal app, it says permission denied even after touching "Always" in the Superuser app. If I check the app it lists the app granted su access, but with the terminal it does not work. What could be wrong?

(I pushed su with "adb push su /system/bin" and changed the permissions of the app as 755, also installed Superuser.apk with "adb install Superuser.apk".)

Perhaps incompatible version?

Regards

Sandor

Okay, I solved this problem. I had to chmod 6755 instead of just 755, and now it is perfect.

I also found a greater size su which didn't ask for granting permission, but I am not sure it is secure to use.

Okay, I solved this problem. I had to chmod 6755 instead of just 755, and now it is perfect.

I also found a greater size su which didn't ask for granting permission, but I am not sure it is secure to use.

The larger one isn't as secure to use, as any malicious app could use root without consent. Stick with the one that prompts you, and set up your allows accordingly.

• 4 months later...
Guest adyuaic

so how can i add superuser access for an app like a file manager, and after that to delete the apps that i don't need them anymore, like google maps?

Hi,

I think I have a similar problem, but still the posts did not help me out. When I launch a program that needs superuser permission, It does launch the su app with the black screen, and it does nothing. If I switch back to the application (tested with wifi tethering and Titanium backup), the application still needs su permission and can't be used.

Does someone have an Idea on how to solve my problem? Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

usb debugging enabled?

That was that. Make me feel like :rolleyes: Does anyone know why it should be enabled?

Anyway, Thanks, kendon!

Best regards,

• 2 months later...
Guest Marvin-Ior
I think the blank screen is correct - it means nothing has requested super user access. If you plug your phone in to your PC and open a command prompt (cmd), then from the androidsdk/tools folder type adb shell you'll get a $ sign - then type su and you'll get a line in green on the superuser screen - tap it and give yourself access.

is there a way to get it done just by using the phone?? and how (if possible)?

• 7 months later...
Guest froanas

Where did you find it, could you provide a link? This is exactly what i have been looking for, and yes I realize the security issues.

Thanks,

Joe

• 2 years later...
Guest lincruste

Hi,

Sorry but I had to register in order to thank you. I had the very same issue with my Xperia Play and your advice did the trick. Many thanks.

BTW, I also had to wipe all traces of Superuser.apk before by following these instructions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13534935/adb-uninstall-is-failed

(powder366's post os the one I talk about)

Regards.

Edited by lincruste