December 2009: T-Mobile Pulse software update

Guest apavli

Guest blaze23
prob a dumb question but how does the phone know if it's held or not!!?

it does indeed now work flat on a desk

ibelieve the back of the phone was condctiveand bytouching it you effectivly grounded the phone and unlocked the screen. just a theory though

anyway thanks for the conformation, im updating to mcr1.5 now, ill post backwhen im done!

EDIT: ive just finished updating. the phone screen does seem to be a little more responsive when layed down flat now, however, it still isnt as responsive as when held in the hand [orif the usb cable is plugged in]very odd...

Edited by blaze23

EDIT: ive just finished updating. the phone screen does seem to be a little more responsive when layed down flat now, however, it still isnt as responsive as when held in the hand [orif the usb cable is plugged in]very odd...

What is up with this phone, man this is crazy!!

I feel like having one end of of the usb cable in the phone to make it more responsive.

Hmmmm there has got to be a way in software or firmware to make the touch screen more responsive ? Right like a setting you can change :)

Edited by phucte

Guest starfire
Hi, first post so be gentle!

Does this update go some way to fixing the Gmail push problems? Currently, email isn't being pushed to the phone at all.

Cheers

It has fixed Gmail push for me :)

Guest h3dshot

hey i bought my phone when t mobile had the £100 offer on, i recieved it a week later, does that mean i would still have to apply this update?

i have no idea of how im going to back up my settings etc and so hope i dont have to apply this update lol

thanks

Guest Dan Mullen

My brother reckons that since installing the December update, he's down to 3 home screens! I'll be having a look today and flashing MCR 1.6 for him, but I don't understand how he can be down to 3 screens since this is just an update to the official software. He reckons that he can drag icons off the screen to a new one, but can't then scroll onto those other screens vertically. Anyone else had this problem?

Guest blaze23
My brother reckons that since installing the December update, he's down to 3 home screens! I'll be having a look today and flashing MCR 1.6 for him, but I don't understand how he can be down to 3 screens since this is just an update to the official software. He reckons that he can drag icons off the screen to a new one, but can't then scroll onto those other screens vertically. Anyone else had this problem?

no, it definitley doesnt delete your home screens, im running with 6 right now

Guest Sengadog

Mine still has all of the screens following the Dec update

Guest Dan Mullen
Mine still has all of the screens following the Dec update

I found out what the problem was... the Dec update reset all his widgets, etc. Instead of having the clock at the top of the top-middle screen, it was in the very centre of the entire desktop! When he was trying to scroll up and down, it was showing him the half-screens above and below but wouldn't switch. He removed all the default widgets and started from scratch - that fixed it.

That said, he has now switched to the vanilla Huawei ROM :)

Is anyone still having camera problems after this update?

The barcode scanner/shop savvy apps starting showing a display now, and those 3d square barcodes work, but no matter what I try I cannot scan a normal barcode. It looks like the camera fails to focus close up and cannot correctly see the gaps.

Guest Shuflie

The barcode scanner/shop savvy apps starting showing a display now, and those 3d square barcodes work, but no matter what I try I cannot scan a normal barcode. It looks like the camera fails to focus close up and cannot correctly see the gaps.

Its not a very good camera.

Guest Sengadog

Check the clear plastic circle in the battery cover. Mine originally had a bit of rogue plastic ( hard to see) covering the hole which prevented the camera from focusing properly.

Would appreciate some advice please - I am about to install this update on my Pulse and have rooted and run a nandroid backup as advised. Am I right in expecting the backup restore my data (Contacts, SMS and Apps etc ) ?

Thanks and apologies if this seems stoopid !

Pezz

Guest Dan Mullen
Would appreciate some advice please - I am about to install this update on my Pulse and have rooted and run a nandroid backup as advised. Am I right in expecting the backup restore my data (Contacts, SMS and Apps etc ) ?

Thanks and apologies if this seems stoopid !

Pezz

The nandroid backup will restore the phone to its existing state - that doesn't just mean your data, it means the ROM itself. You can't run a nandroid backup, updrade the ROM then restore the backup whilst keeping your new ROM.

The nandroid backup will restore the phone to its existing state - that doesn't just mean your data, it means the ROM itself. You can't run a nandroid backup, updrade the ROM then restore the backup whilst keeping your new ROM.

Thanks got impatient and installed the December update and then tried to backup ... :) . So i guess I'm stuffed - out of interest how are you meant to backup your apps/contacts/sms etc ?

Guest Dan Mullen
Thanks got impatient and installed the December update and then tried to backup ... :) . So i guess I'm stuffed - out of interest how are you meant to backup your apps/contacts/sms etc ?

There are a number of apps in the Market for this. Personally, I use Google Contacts so they are synced/backed up automatically, and I occasionally run a nandroid+ext backup - the ext.tar file contains all of your apps' .apk files. I know there is an app to backup your SMS to your Gmail account.

I just upgraded my in-law's Pulse to the December update then MCR 1.6 from old stock with no data loss.

My process...

- Flash and launch (using fastboot boot) the recovery image

- Do a Nandroid backup

- Pull the userdata.img of the backup to the PC

- Copy the December update to the SD and apply

- Copy the 1.6 MCR ROM to the SD and apply

- Put the device in bootloader

- Run 'fastboot flash userdata data.img' to flash back the userdata

- Boot

All done! It restarted once or twice and took a while to do the first boot, but it worked! :)

P

I just upgraded my in-law's Pulse to the December update then MCR 1.6 from old stock with no data loss.

My process...

- Do a Nandroid backup

- Boot

All done! It restarted once or twice and took a while to do the first boot, but it worked! :)

P

Where on the SD card does the update need to be? I'm struggling making the Pulse see it.

Cheers

There are a number of apps in the Market for this. Personally, I use Google Contacts so they are synced/backed up automatically, and I occasionally run a nandroid+ext backup - the ext.tar file contains all of your apps' .apk files. I know there is an app to backup your SMS to your Gmail account.

Aha Google ........ I have just noticed that my G'mail account had sync'd my contacts (I have never used this!) from the phone and after settling down has now auto sync'd them back to the phone. :)

I will have a dig around the market for the others - thanks for your help

My process...

- Do a Nandroid backup

- Boot

P

That's great Paul, I've often thought about doing partial restores, but never been confident enough to give it a go.

I've mostly thought of it as a way to recover from the halting on boot problem.

Aha Google ........ I have just noticed that my G'mail account had sync'd my contacts (I have never used this!) from the phone and after settling down has now auto sync'd them back to the phone. :)

I will have a dig around the market for the others - thanks for your help

The one I use is called simply SMS backup it works really well.