How to unlock the bootloader on your Nexus One

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm still having the issue where cmd is hanging at 'waiting for device'. I've uninstalled old adb drivers and reinstalled the latest ones that have support for the Nexus One, but still hasn't fixed it :/

EDIT: Never mind - fixed it by entering fastboot menu.

Edited by huey-t

I'm still having the issue where cmd is hanging at 'waiting for device'. I've uninstalled old adb drivers and reinstalled the latest ones that have support for the Nexus One, but still hasn't fixed it :/

EDIT: Never mind - fixed it by entering fastboot menu.

Hi everyone, I run this on linux and I just get stuck at 'waiting for device' - has anyone else experienced/fixed this? I have USB debugging on, i've tried rebooting while connected amongst other things also and mounting as USB

mrfoo@osiris:~/src/fastboot$ sudo ./fastboot-linux oem unlock

< waiting for device >

(waits forever)

EDIT:

I've tried this on windows 7, adb drivers installed and sdk for 2.1 - 'adb devices' lists my device, 'fastboot devices' doesn't, fastboot oem unlock and fastboot-windows oem unlock stick at 'waiting for devices' - anyone able to lend any assistance?

DOUBLE EDIT:

I asked in #android on Freenode and was told to hold the trackball, then press the power button - BAM bootloader mode, then the fastboot imaged over the top - seems to be a fairly vital missing instruction!

Edited by mrfoo

got it, thanks

To all those that had the error Waiting for Device, how did you fix it? I can't figure it out. I am using the latest drivers as far as I know. i've tried it on windows 7 and xp and still no go.

sussed it out. just need to put phone in bootloader first.

Edited by AMoosa

Guest minimonk
I just figured it out. :)

yeah for us newbs don't forget to mention the part about starting the phone in bootloader mode (turn off the phone then press power while holding the home/trackball button)

Yeah, Paul made this sound so easy :) Well, I had the prob of Waiting for device - I had to turn off, and reboot by pressing trackball then POWER - next I discovered that once in THAT menu I need to press the power button once more to get into HBOOT - then the process worked.

Also on my previous attempts I thought I'd done it successfully but hadn't, so I had all sorts of probs with next stages.... When it is done correctly - 1. the phones Data will of course be wiped (Shoulda realised from this as on my first fail go it wasn't!!) 2 - you get an unlock icon at bottom of first splash if its worked. 3 - in fastboot etc from then on you get a pink bit at the top saying UNLOCKED :)

Dayzee - stating the obvious probably, but it might help :) :)

Guest fishywang
I just figured it out. :)

Hey buddy, how did you figure it out? I'm using Mac and I can't get it working under Mac. Any information is appreciated.

Edited by fishywang

Guest badguy0

not working for me - also when I put phone in fastboot/hboot/whatever.

still stuck on the 'waiting for device'.

any idea?

any other way to unlock the bootloader etc?

Hi,

thank you for this tutorial. Is it possible to re-lock the phone ?

Does the unlocking modify the operating system or the operating system remains untouched ?

Thanks you!

Alvise

Guest AndyCr15

In Device Manager, I can see 'HTC Bootloader' under 'ADB Interface'

When go to a command prompt and say 'adb devices' it does show any devices listed.

When I check the driver date on HTC Bootloader it says 29/10/09, is this an old driver?

If I try and unlock it just shows '... ' and seems to hang there.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
Help...

Can I do the locked bootloader my Nexus One? Howto?

PLEASE

not sure what you mean...

unlock the bootloader? look at post #1 here, its all there.

lock the bootloader again? not possible right now.

Guest Huddo12
Yeah, Paul made this sound so easy :lol: Well, I had the prob of Waiting for device - I had to turn off, and reboot by pressing trackball then POWER - next I discovered that once in THAT menu I need to press the power button once more to get into HBOOT - then the process worked.

Also on my previous attempts I thought I'd done it successfully but hadn't, so I had all sorts of probs with next stages.... When it is done correctly - 1. the phones Data will of course be wiped (Shoulda realised from this as on my first fail go it wasn't!!) 2 - you get an unlock icon at bottom of first splash if its worked. 3 - in fastboot etc from then on you get a pink bit at the top saying UNLOCKED :D

Dayzee - stating the obvious probably, but it might help :D :lol:

I'm having the same problem; "< waiting for device >" :D

Massive kudos to Paul for his great work, but the the instructions in this OP do seem a bit sparse, from the point of view of a newb.

I've read all the posts in this thread, but nothing has helped yet.

I'm sure there's just one small piece of information that I am missing...

I plug the phone into my computer, turn the phone off, start the phone with the trackball held down which gets me to the "Fastboot USB" screen, then I run "./fastboot-linux oem unlock" in terminal on my computer, and get stuck there on "waiting for device"

I can press the power button to go to the "HBoot" screen, and again to return to the "Fastboot USB" screen, I have the Android SDK installed and fully updated, still nothing.

I'm running Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.

Help, please....

Edited by Huddo12

I'm having the same problem; "< waiting for device >" :D

Massive kudos to Paul for his great work, but the the instructions in this OP do seem a bit sparse, from the point of view of a newb.

I've read all the posts in this thread, but nothing has helped yet.

I'm sure there's just one small piece of information that I am missing...

I plug the phone into my computer, turn the phone off, start the phone with the trackball held down which gets me to the "Fastboot USB" screen, then I run "./fastboot-linux oem unlock" in terminal on my computer, and get stuck there on "waiting for device"

I can press the power button to go to the "HBoot" screen, and again to return to the "Fastboot USB" screen, I have the Android SDK installed and fully updated, still nothing.

I'm running Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.

Help, please....

did you add the udev-rule?

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

(actually you just need one of these lines, can use 'lsusb -vv | less' and '/Google' , check for idVendor to find out which, but it probably won't hurt to just add both)

paste this:

SUBSYSTEM==usb, SYSFS{idVendor}==0bb4, MODE=0666

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"

and

sudo service udev restart

replug the phone and it should be fine.

Edited by xkonni

Guest Huddo12

(actually you just need one of these lines, can use 'lsusb -vv | less' and '/Google' , check for idVendor to find out which, but it probably won't hurt to just add both)

paste this:

and

Thanks xkonni, that's the info I needed, but even trying all combos of the line format and vendor id I still couldn't get the phone to show up :D

Not sure what the problem is...

I did finally get it to work on a windows box.

Here's some more detailed instructions (XP) for any newbs trying to do this:

- You'll need some files from the Android SDK, so install it on your computer first >>>>> http://developer.android.com/sdk/download....r04-windows.zip

- This step may not be necessary, but: I installed and updated every package in the SDK

- Turn the phone off.

- Hold the trackball down, and turn it back on. The phone will boot into the white bootloader screen with Androids on skateboards.

- Plug the phone into the computer

- The title of the menu on the phone will be FASTBOOT USB. Select the first item on the menu: BOOTLOADER

- The title of the menu will now be HBOOT. Select FASTBOOT

- Wait until you see a little bit of green text starting with "SD Checking" scroll down the screen and disappear. XP should now bring up the New Hardware Wizard.

- Install the USB drivers from the SDK "USB_Drivers" directory through the wizard.

- Restart your computer (Note: after I restarted, my computer no longer recognised the phone! ...but continue anyway.)

- Put AbdWinApi.dll and AbdWinUsbApi.dll from the SDK "tools" directory and fastboot-windows.exe from this zip file in a directory together >>>>> fastboot.zip

- Open a cmd window and cd to the directory where the three files are

- Enter "fastboot-windows.exe oem unlock". You should see "< waiting for device >".

- Select BOOTLOADER and FASTBOOT to switch back and forth between the two menus a couple of times, until the phone connects to the computer.

- The phone will now ask if you want to unlock the bootloader, select yes.

- The bootloader is now unlocked, the bootloader screen will have a pink UNLOCKED at the top, and an open lock is displayed in the phone startup graphics.

Edited by Paul

Thanks xkonni, that's the info I needed, but even trying all combos of the line format and vendor id I still couldn't get the phone to show up :D

Not sure what the problem is...

could have done the quotes same in both lines... just copied mine and the other line from xda :D

but thats not the problem, did you do 'sudo service udev restart' too (or reboot)?

did the id match the one from lsusb?

what does dmesg say about the phone when plugging in?

Guest Huddo12
could have done the quotes same in both lines... just copied mine and the other line from xda :D

but thats not the problem, did you do 'sudo service udev restart' too (or reboot)?

did the id match the one from lsusb?

what does dmesg say about the phone when plugging in?

Yes, I did "sudo service udev restart" each time, the id from lsub was 18d1, and I used that, and I checked with "./fastboot-linux devices" but nothing ever showed up....

Yes, I did "sudo service udev restart" each time, the id from lsub was 18d1, and I used that, and I checked with "./fastboot-linux devices" but nothing ever showed up....

and you did replug the phone after restarting udev, right?

dmesg output when i connect the phone in bootloader mode to my computer (ubuntu 9.10)

Feb 15 15:45:42 distance kernel: [19363.950106] usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11

Feb 15 15:45:42 distance kernel: [19364.105227] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

nothing fancy...

you can try with sudo once, if it works then, its related to udev (typo maybe).

if not, its a different problem

Edited by xkonni

Guest AgentZ619

I need help please, I am using Windows 7. I have ALL the following files in my Fastboot folder;

adb.exe

AdbWinApi.dll

ddms.bat

fastboot-windows.exe

I am in fastboot mode and when I type all the instructions in Command Prompt I get < Waiting for device >

I got into into HBOOT and it quickly scans and says 'No image ready' while on Command Prompt it says < Waiting for device >

Please help me kindly.

Many thanks

Guest Huddo12
and you did replug the phone after restarting udev, right?

Yep, so I don't know why it isn't working.

I need help please, I am using Windows 7. I have ALL the following files in my Fastboot folder;

adb.exe

AdbWinApi.dll

ddms.bat

fastboot-windows.exe

I am in fastboot mode and when I type all the instructions in Command Prompt I get < Waiting for device >

I got into into HBOOT and it quickly scans and says 'No image ready' while on Command Prompt it says < Waiting for device >

Please help me kindly.

Many thanks

I just posted instructions for windows a few posts back! (although it wasn't w7)

Don't know why you have adb.exe or ddms.bat. You need AdbWinUsbApi.dll.

Edited by Huddo12

Guest Huddo12

paste this:

and

Finally got it :D

Just needed BOTH lines in the file:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"