No ADB & No SD

Guest Pawnda

Guest Pawnda

Well... i tried running the RUU with the GoldCard inside...

But it gives me the same error... Error [170] or something... USB-CONNECTION ERROR

I'm not sure i made the goldcard the right way... are there some way to check it?

Guest Pawnda

Ah sorry. i know what the problem is... i got the CID using linux.. but i got the CID of another SD card inserted into the computer..

Is there a way to get the CID through a USB card reader?

Guest pulser
Ah sorry. i know what the problem is... i got the CID using linux.. but i got the CID of another SD card inserted into the computer..

Is there a way to get the CID through a USB card reader?

Try these instructions instead(step by step) with card in the phone UNTIL YOU DOWNLOAD GOLDCARD.IMG AND ARE READY TO FLASH IT TO THE CARD. PUT THE CARD IN THE READER AT THAT POINT! (sorry for caps, just to clarify when to switch the card)

Credit to theunlockr.com

1. Put the memory card you want to use for the GoldCard into your phone.

2. With the memory card in your phone, click on Settings, SD and Phone storage, then click Unmount SD card. Once it unmounts, click Format SD card. (Please keep in mind that some memory cards don’t work, and this will erase all data on your SD Card so back all the data up first to your computer)

3. On the Phone, goto Settings, Applications, Development and then make sure USB Debugging is checked.

4. *Make sure you have installed the SDK and Fastboot correctly from Section I!!!

Plug the phone into the computer and then open the Command Prompt (goto the start menu and type in cmd in the search box). Then type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line.

cd\

cd\AndroidSDK\tools\

adb devices

(wait for the it to show a serial number underneath, if it doesn’t then reinstall the drivers from section I). Then type:

adb shell

cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

5. A code will display, write the code down (MAKE SURE TO WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY!)

6. Now, on your computer, goto http://revskills.de/pages/download.html and download QMAT 4.36. Extract the file to your computer somewhere and double click on the qmat.exe to open the program (THIS IS A DEMO VERSION SO IT WILL ONLY STAY OPEN FOR 10 MINUTES, SO TRY AND NOT LINGER WHILE DOING THE NEXT STEPS).

7. Click on Cryptoanalysis Tools then Crypto Toolbox

8. Scroll down till you see a text box with a button titled, “Reverse String”, next to it. Put the CID you wrote down earlier into the text box (DOUBLE CHECK IT!) and then click the Reverse String button. It should reverse the CID you put in, write this down now (AND AGAIN DOUBLE CHECK IT!).

9. Now, on your computer, goto http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html and enter your email in the appropriate field and for CID enter the reversed CID you just copied down BUT REPLACE THE FIRST 2 DIGITS WITH 2 ZEROS! (i.e. 12345678910 becomes 00345678910). *Thanks to Viper for providing these Goldcards for FREE!

10. Click continue and then you will receive your goldcard.img via email. Once it arrives save it to your computer.

11. Now, goto http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/30...&tag=button to download the HxD Hex Editor. Save it and install it to your computer.

12. Take your SD card out of your phone and put it into the SD adapter it came with. Then put that into your computer so it shows up on your computer as Removable Disk.

13. Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if one Vista or Windows 7) and click on the Extra tab, then click on Open Disk. Under Physical Disk select Removable Disk (your SD card you just put into the computer). Make sure to UNcheck “Open as ReadOnly”. Click OK.

14. Goto the Extra tab again and click Open Disk Image. Open up the goldcard.img that you saved from your email. You should now have two tabs, one is the SD card (Removable Disk) and the other is the goldcard.img

Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512 (Hard Disks/Floppy Disks).

15. Click on the Goldcard.img tab and click on the Edit tab and click Select All. Then click on the Edit tab again and click Copy.

16. Click on the Removable Disk tab (Your SD Card) and select offset 00000000 to 00000170 then click on the Edit tab and click Paste Write.

17. Click on File then click Save.

18. Close the Hex Editor.

19. Test what we’ve done:

Take out the memory card from the computer, then put it back in.

Try to open the memory card on the computer (Removable Disk), if it lets you, you are all set. If it asks/tells you to reformat the card, then try steps 13 – 19 again. If it gives you the same error again, then try a different memory card (Erlern said it didn’t work for him until he finally went and bought a Kingston 2GB card, then it worked on that card only).

20. Put the GoldCard into your phone and reboot the phone with the GoldCard inside.

<h3 style="font-size: 1.17em;">III. Downgrade the Hero using the Goldcard</h3> 1.Download and install

HTC Sync

2. Plug in your phone via USB cable to your computer (make sure the GoldCard is in the phone).

3. Once HTC Sync is installed and your phone is plugged in, pull down the notification bar on the phone and select HTC Sync. Make sure it connects to HTC Sync on the computer.

4. Download the Original HTC Hero RUU (use the link I gave you earlier on in the process. I think you've got the exe already)

5. Double click the RUU you downloaded while the phone is plugged in with the GoldCard in it and follow the on screen procedure.

Try that and let me know how it goes. If you get the output from

adb shell

cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

and post it here, I will try reversing the string myself and making the Goldcard.img myself for you.

Edited by pulser

Guest Pawnda

Well... as i stated earlier in this topic... the phone can't see the SD, and i don't have ADB access... only fastboot...

*sadface*

Guess i need another phone to get the CID then...

Guest pulser
Well... as i stated earlier in this topic... the phone can't see the SD, and i don't have ADB access... only fastboot...

*sadface*

Guess i need another phone to get the CID then...

Oops! Forgot about that. Give me 2 seconds to get other instructions...

Hold on... you have ubuntu or another linux distro on your PC. I'm pretty sure that it should have been able to read the CID correctly. You mentioned

Is there any way you could remove that card reader and get your microSD in there?

Or, longshot. Do you have an old Windows Mobile device with microSD reader. QMat can supposedly read the CID using some forensics option?

Edited by pulser

Guest pulser
I've been looking for a way all morning xD

What i found was only possible with an internal card reader, not a usb reader...

Yup. Do you know anyone with a microSD to SD adaptor (they've probably got them coming out their ears, and I've actually ended up giving some away I had so many :).

Either that or Windows Mobile device. Or a friend's device. I think it is quite easy to do that way.

Or, another android device like a hero, g1 or other one. We can read it from there!

Guest Pawnda

I got a classmate with a HTC Magic. But hes skipping school today... and will propably do the same tomorrow...

Is it possible to do this from a symbian device?

Guest pulser
I got a classmate with a HTC Magic. But hes skipping school today... and will propably do the same tomorrow...

Is it possible to do this from a symbian device?

Apparently so!

You could give this a shot (will need to sign the .sis yourself. I presume you have your own certificate?

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=110621

It would probably depend on what device you have. And which version of symbian it runs. Let me know what you've got and I'll take a look.

Guest pulser
Apparently so!

You could give this a shot (will need to sign the .sis yourself. I presume you have your own certificate?

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=110621

It would probably depend on what device you have. And which version of symbian it runs. Let me know what you've got and I'll take a look.

I have had an idea. I'm off for lunch for a bit, but I think you can use HxD Windows hex editor to access these sectors of the card, being as it can write to them. Give me a few minutes, and I'll get back to you with details.

Guest pulser
thanks B)

ill wait impatiently :)

I'm back and downloading it...

Unfortunately, doesn't look promising ;)

Don't think I can access the CID through sector 0 of the card. ;)

Guest pulser
I tried to look at it too, i think you are right...

Well... i may be able to get ahold of another android device later today.

Yeah. Grab yourself another Android device and get the CID out it. Be sure to post the CID here (because after all this hassle, you wouldn't want to lose it :)) AFAIK there is nothing sensitive in the CID Number (it is the serial number of the SD card, and what use is that to anyone malicious???)

Alternatively, you could try (if you can get hold of a microSD ->SD adaptor from somewhere) to get the CID from the laptop/computer you used earlier (but ended up with the CID of the wrong card. That should work.

The CID should look like '1b534d3030303030771060c2c8009834', ie. 32 hex digits. That's my CID for my microSD card I've got in right now.

Guest Pawnda

Well... i went to the IT department at my moms work.

All of them had traded their HTC Magic phones for iPhones...

Gotta wait and see if my classmate with the magic will be there tomorrow xD

Guest pulser
Well... i went to the IT department at my moms work.

All of them had traded their HTC Magic phones for iPhones...

Gotta wait and see if my classmate with the magic will be there tomorrow xD

Cool... Pity about them downgrading to the iPhone though. :)

Once we get a goldcard sorted, there is still the issue of how to get the RUU to run. I hope we can force it in through fastboot, although there are no guarantees unfortunately.

Guest pulser
Cool... Pity about them downgrading to the iPhone though. :)

Once we get a goldcard sorted, there is still the issue of how to get the RUU to run. I hope we can force it in through fastboot, although there are no guarantees unfortunately.

I have been looking around the web for this problem, and it seems to be the same as experienced here.

What might be worth a shot, BEFORE any RUU attempts, is to try this fastboot command:

fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspend=1 console=null" boot NAMEOFYOURRECOVERYIMAGE.img

That might let you use the recovery image, with the SD and USB working, but I don't know. If you can get the hero to fastboot using that command, then try adb devices, and see if the phone shows up. Otherwise, I'll need to think a bit more...

I have been looking around the web for this problem, and it seems to be the same as experienced here.

What might be worth a shot, BEFORE any RUU attempts, is to try this fastboot command:

fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspend=1 console=null" boot NAMEOFYOURRECOVERYIMAGE.img

That might let you use the recovery image, with the SD and USB working, but I don't know. If you can get the hero to fastboot using that command, then try adb devices, and see if the phone shows up. Otherwise, I'll need to think a bit more...

hi guys, i have EXACTLY the same problem! I am frustrated because i dont know what i did wrong.

ihave i know i have flashed the new (1.52) recovery. after that sd and usb does not work. i get in Device Manager a "Unkniwn device" under the USB devices, i cant chage the driver of this to the driver of htc.

When i am in fastboot the driver will be installed and i can do fastboot devices.

i will try above command now. hope it works. from there i think i can manage it.

*UPDATE* the command seems to work but i still have no USB and no SD access (mass storage)... on the OTHER hand.... i now have succesfully partitioned my 2 SD cards,

1 of 1 gb :

32mb swap, 512mb ext, 480mb FAT

1 of 8 gb:

32 mb swap, 1536 ext, 6000 FAT

will now reboot to android to see if SD works now in the phone.

*UPDATE2*

rebooted in android with 8gb sd card... but still SD Removed (in dutch: SD kaart is verwijderd)

currently trying 1gb card but i dont think it will work either... :)

what about flashing everything to stock using fastboot... without any ADB command.. is that possible?

and a goldcard, is it worth a shot? i dont know what the goldcard has to do with usb and sd connection.

Edited by Lugia

Guest Pawnda

So... i made the goldcard.. put it in the phone.. rebooted into fastboot... tried the suggested commands, and the RUU...

But im still getting the "remote: not allowed" message :)

Guest Pawnda

So... i ran the RUU and copied the rom.zip to the SD and renamed to HEROIMG.zip.

Rebooted with colume down key, it flashed the image, but it still wont read the sd card, or connect with adb through usb :)

Guest pulser
So... i ran the RUU and copied the rom.zip to the SD and renamed to HEROIMG.zip.

Rebooted with colume down key, it flashed the image, but it still wont read the sd card, or connect with adb through usb :)

Could you try the long fastboot command a few posts back, and see if you get anywhere? Also, you should now have the ability to fastboot boot images (if you didn't before)

Let me know how it goes.

Edit just to clarify. I know you've tried this before flashing heroimg.zip, but give it a try now the fastboot should allow the command.

Edited by pulser

Guest Pawnda
C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot.exe -c "board_hero.disa

ble_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspe

nd=1 console=null" boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Guest pulser
C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot.exe -c "board_hero.disa

ble_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspe

nd=1 console=null" boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

C:\Users\Adam\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>

:)

OK. There's two ways we can go from here. One is that since the phone is back to stock, you check it's running the same software as out the box, then take it in for repair as 'the SD stopped working one day'. You could also mention that you can't connect it by USB to view the SD or sync your Outlook calendar, but DON'T mention anything like adb, fastboot or flashing. Just take it back as though you know nothing, but it ain't working.

Alternatively, (if the warranty's run out or if you bought it 2nd hand) we can keep trying. I'll have a look and see what I can find. Let me know either way, but I'll start looking at some more complex methods just now.

EDIT: An obvious one, but I take it you have USB Debugging enabled under Settings | Applications | Development... Probably won't fix it, but worth a check

Edited by pulser