Nexus one, Am I the only one feeling underwhelmed?

Guest squirreleater

Guest squirreleater

Sorry to be a party pooper, but i've watched the live blogs from Mountain View hoping for something different to come out other than the rumours only to be left feeling a bit flat.

Basically I was hoping for a unique selling point to pop up, but it didn't. Yes, this is probably the most powerful phone out there currently and for sure it will be a darn good phone, but I thought there would be something to really make people double take and make it a phone you couldn't help but give a second thought.

Be honest, much the same price as an iphone to buy ( ok, cheaper, but lets not split hairs) is there really enough to change the general publics thinking that the phone to aspire to is the iphone?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting an N1 very soon, but i really was expecting something WOW today......

Go ahead and burn me now!

Stu.

Guest josharmour
Sorry to be a party pooper, but i've watched the live blogs from Mountain View hoping for something different to come out other than the rumours only to be left feeling a bit flat.

Basically I was hoping for a unique selling point to pop up, but it didn't. Yes, this is probably the most powerful phone out there currently and for sure it will be a darn good phone, but I thought there would be something to really make people double take and make it a phone you couldn't help but give a second thought.

Be honest, much the same price as an iphone to buy ( ok, cheaper, but lets not split hairs) is there really enough to change the general publics thinking that the phone to aspire to is the iphone?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting an N1 very soon, but i really was expecting something WOW today......

Stu.

Your tune will change once you have the phone in your hands.

The story is the 'direct to consumer' today. Tomorrow when you have the phone its all about the phone.

Guest Nanu*1

I don't think Google have particularly brought anything major to market with the Nexus One, but the hardware has set down a lot of potential and the excitement for me lies in future updates to Android which will bring more 3D niceness, hopefully multi-touch and who knows what else! :)

Guest joners
I don't think Google have particularly brought anything major to market with the Nexus One, but the hardware has set down a lot of potential and the excitement for me lies in future updates to Android which will bring more 3D niceness, hopefully multi-touch and who knows what else! :)

Completely agree with you here, get the hardware up to spec and the software can follow suit.

This is the real advantage of devices like the Android handsets and the iPhone, and to some extent WinMo, you can upgrade the software to add new features.

I mean look at the G1 and how far that has come!

Guest giryan

Cheaper, lol, it's roughly half the price of a 3G S.

£430 delivered in the UK (inc VAT etc...) for a Nexus One

vs

£809.99 for a 16GB 3G S

(both sim free, unlocked, so a fair comparison)

Edited by giryan

Guest HaggleLad

You can actually buy a iPhone 16gb 3GS for £450 direct from Apple!

I assume you're looking on the Expansys website, no idea where they get their ridiculous prices from!

Guest giryan

I assume you're looking on the Expansys website, no idea where they get their ridiculous prices from!

None of the phones on the Apple store are simfree, unlocked though? So they will be subsidised by the networks.

I've not seen an unlocked price other than expansys' for the 3G S. (admittedly I've not looked far :) )

Guest Nanu*1

£745 for a sim free 16GB 3Gs on play.com I cannot find the £450 sim free unit on the Apple web store, do you have a link as I would be interested in buying a sim free model at that price

Guest joners
£745 for a sim free 16GB 3Gs on play.com I cannot find the £450 sim free unit on the Apple web store, do you have a link as I would be interested in buying a sim free model at that price

True they arent sim free.

You can buy an 02 one for £440, plus £15 credit.

02 will unlock it for you, they take away the free web and walk 12month bolt on but this is fine if you dont intend to use it on o2 prepay.

Just done it for my misses and its all good!

Guest Nanu*1
True they arent sim free.

You can buy an 02 one for £440, plus £15 credit.

02 will unlock it for you, they take away the free web and walk 12month bolt on but this is fine if you dont intend to use it on o2 prepay.

Just done it for my misses and its all good!

That's not too bad at all and quite good for anyone intent on using it on O2! :-)

Guest HaggleLad

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, you've can't buy an "unlocked" iPhone from Apple, but you can buy one locked to O2 or T-Mobile (maybe Orange can't remember) PAYG. Pretty easy to unlock it though, why would anyone in their right mind pay and extra 300-400 quid for it to be unlocked when you can do it yourself for probably less than £15.

Guest Nanu*1
Yeah, sorry for the confusion, you've can't buy an "unlocked" iPhone from Apple, but you can buy one locked to O2 or T-Mobile (maybe Orange can't remember) PAYG. Pretty easy to unlock it though, why would anyone in their right mind pay and extra 300-400 quid for it to be unlocked when you can do it yourself for probably less than £15.

I think it is just more for comparison sake, you can't really compare the true sim free value of the Nexus One $529 against a sim locked phone.

It will be fairer to compare if and when the N1 is available on PAYG to compare that price with the price of the iPhone PAYG.

For now it's best to compare the £408 est. for the N1 against the £745 iPhone

Guest joners
I think it is just more for comparison sake, you can't really compare the true sim free value of the Nexus One $529 against a sim locked phone.

It will be fairer to compare if and when the N1 is available on PAYG to compare that price with the price of the iPhone PAYG.

For now it's best to compare the £408 est. for the N1 against the £745 iPhone

Quite right you are, just thought id mention it as O2 previously stated that you had to keep the iPhone for 12months before it could be unlocked now you can do it straight after activation and two phone calls.

Sim free vs Sim free or PAYG vs PAYG is always the best comparison

Guest HaggleLad

Wouldn't personally agree really. You can buy a iPhone on O2 PAYG for £450 make two phone calls, then unlock and ditch sim card and what you have is a handset that is exactly the same as if you'd bought it pre-unlocked. I'm not a fan of the iPhone in the slightest but sounds like you're trying to justify to yourselves that you can't get an unlocked iPhone for the same price as an unlocked Nexus One when really you can.

Guest Nanu*1
Wouldn't personally agree really. You can buy a iPhone on O2 PAYG for £450 make two phone calls, then unlock and ditch sim card and what you have is a handset that is exactly the same as if you'd bought it pre-unlocked. I'm not a fan of the iPhone in the slightest but sounds like you're trying to justify to yourselves that you can't get an unlocked iPhone for the same price as an unlocked Nexus One when really you can.

Not really, you just can't compare the two like for like, what's to say Vodafone wont release the Nexus One on PAYG for £250? then you can compare, until then it is sim free against sim free......

you are confusing sim-free with an unlocked model for some it doesn't make a difference and for others it makes all the difference!

Edited by Nanu*1

Guest squirreleater
calm down guys, its 7Jan2010 and iphone 3GS is last decade's phone :)

Oh I don't know,come June Apple will have some huge launch for the iphone 3gsi (?) that can multitask and will come with two buttons, cure cancer and world hunger* and the Nexus one and it brethren will be made out to be about as relivant as a steam engine!

*- Ok, i made up a couple of those, but you'd think so the fuss they made about copy and paste last year!

Guest Nitro Fan

Stu.

Hi Stu,

No one should be burning you for what you said, I am fairly new to Android having used it properly for the first time over Christmas and loved it I am now a complete convert.

Currently a Nokia 5800 user and I have owned every Symbian device Sony Ericsson have ever made. The thing that struck me most about the N1 is as follows.

The iPhone seems to be the bench mark by which all new phones are judged (I don't agree myself but that seems to be the common thinking.

Yet the N1 is very stylish, has a very well known name behind it, and some very good style imaging going on around it (It needs a good TV campaign to exploit this) a huge apps store (Although I am not sure Google or the Android community have made enough noise about it) and it performs equally as well as the iPhone.

In addition it offers a number of big advantages over the iPhone such as exchangeable battery's, expandable Storage, sensible pricing (at least in the USA) and the opportunity to be free of restrictive contracts.

I really have to say I think perhaps its USP or WOW is the fact it is a realistic alternative for who people who want a stylish, convenient & efficient smart phone but do not want an iPhone.

IMHO It takes the smart or superphone market in a different direction, Blackberry have had the corporate market to themselves for a while, but a lot of big company's have moved to Googe Apps! so a Google phone makes great sense and they get iPhone type style thrown in.

I know a number of people who dont want an iPhone but admire how well they work and at least all of them have said "now thats what I am looking for" yet they had previously ignored Android! I think we shall all look back at the N1 as the device that sold Android to the mass market I love it and i cant wait to get my sticky mitts on one

Edited by Nitro Fan

Guest jdxx76

Well, when the new iphone comes out this summer...I'm predicting that it's gonna look the same...a Flat screen filled with Icons. Plus...the only reason people are a bit underwhelmed about the N1, was because of all the press/people saying that it was going to be an 'iphone killer'. Really, how do you kill the iphone? I mean, I see on the internet people comparing the phones, but never explaining what needed to be in the N1 to 'kill' the iphone. There ain't gonna be anything that's gonna 'kill' either the iphone nor the N1...unless it starts having conversations with you...LOL.

Waiting for my N1 to be delivered (overnight...over the weekend...what the heck is that sh*t???...that ain't overnight!!!!). Can't wait to get it...can't wait for Google to send out updates.

Oh, if you see video reviews showing how smooth the iphone is when scrolling a web page...and how the N1 is not as smooth...Duh! The N1's got a SNAPdragon processor!! LOL...too fast for it to be smooth!!!!

Guest kam187

Yeah 'iphone killer' doesnt exist. It'll always be around.

The only way iphone or nexus/android will die is if they stop supporting/updating them. Which isnt going to happen!