Vanilla vs Branded rom

Guest David Horvath

Guest David Horvath

I'm curious what is the difference between the vanilla and the branded rom for Pulse.

Pro's and Con's.

If somebody has experience, please share.

Thanks,

David

Guest le_lutin
I'm curious what is the difference between the vanilla and the branded rom for Pulse.

Pro's and Con's.

Thanks,

David

I "upgraded" mine a few days ago. Vanilla ROM is much faster - I found that the T-Mobile ROM was a bit laggy at times. I also find typing on the keyboard to be faster.

As far as downsides, I can't really see any. You're down to 3 homescreens though, but I don't really consider that a disadvantage. MP3 player is slightly different as well. You also lose the contacts carosel thing which I never used anyway (thought the implementation of the idea was awful).

Guest petermgates

Vanilla is way better IMO.

Only con I can think of is the reduction in home screens.

Pros are the improved Touchpal layout and implementation (no more dictionary corruptions), better contacts app (better scrolling, call log and dialler), general responsiveness is up, loss of the T-Mobile contacts carousel (which had a bug preventing proper syncing with gmail contacts) and the black bar on the home screen has also been replaced by the standard Android pull up apps list meaning you can see more of your home screen wallpaper.

I was getting used to my slightly quirky Pulse before but now I have a phone that I love!

Edited by petermgates

Guest flip360

Hello there,

I also upgraded my pulse also with pauls`s custom vanilla ROM and all is working well, it is quite faster than the stock ROM and generally more responsive :)

Hope for 2.0/2.1 upgrade in the near future,

cheers

Guest niko1986

I had alot of small problems with the vanilla rom, made me go back to the tmobile branded custom rom.

Just give it a go is my advice and see which you prefer.

Pro's and Con's.

Thanks,

David

I have just moved from the T Mob to Vanilla and also find it much quicker - however I didnt do a wipe and get force closures on the left hand home screen. I know there is an instruction about this but I havent got a clue how/where to do it ! If I can fix this I will deffo stay with the vanilla version. In fact in the worst case I will just ignore the left homescreen.

Guest petermgates

Make sure to copy the contents of your sd card somewhere before you wipe. Also back up your call log and SMS history if you don't want to lose them.

you go to recovery, wipe, than flash with the vannila ROM :)

Aha, many thanks - now sorted. I'm sure the instructions detailed some command line stuff (which put me off B) )