Serious HD2 wifi issue

Guest XNUK

I have been using my HD2 since purchase two weeks ago without any major issues, although I have had to hard reset when a rom update became available.

Last night, without warning, the device stopped sending/receiving data via wifi.

Furthermore, when I try to connect to my home network, it knocks every other device off the router for the duration of it being connected. Even devices using a wired Ethernet connection to my router are prevented from connecting to the router until I disconnect the phone by turning off the wifi.

This is a pain as I am a mature student in a shared household of 6. Whenever I connect to the wifi network with my phone, every other person using the net is knocked off, as if the router has been switched off at the wall.

The phone does connect to the router, but just doesnt send or recieve any data. Web browsers, facebook etc all get a connection time out.

What on earth could this be? I have not changed any settings, and hard resetting would be a last resort for obvious reasons.

Any ideas?

This phone is becoming a real pain in my ass.

I will also add that when I connect the HD2 to my PC using the activesync cable, and if the wifi on the device is active, my PC will then be knocked offline within moments of activesync connecting.

What on earth could be causing this?

I am thinking an IP conflict perhapps?

I dont seem to be able to find an option on the HD2 to change the default ip address of 192.168.0.1

Also worth noting is that while the HD2 claims that it is connected to my router, looking at the attached devices in the router's software shows that it is not connected.

Any help at all?

Guest benrickards

Just wanted to say we have Exactly the same symptoms. Started Tuesday evening. It looks like the device is using the router's IP address on the LAN. My desktop PC which is wired via ethernet loses it's internet connectivity. Strangely though, my macbook continues to get through to the internet via wi-fi!

Lastly, the device won't sync to outlook anymore. he desktop PC doesn't recognise the device either.

Any ideas Paul??

PS. How are you!

yep, sounds like we both have the same problem.

If you go into the WiLan settings you can see that the IP assigned is 192.168.1.1 This shouldnt be, as my router's available IP range is 192.168.1.2 and upwards.

Why should it do this?

I havnt tried it on other networks as yet, but I would hate to knock off the whole uni if my device does the same as it does to my home network.

Shouldnt there be an option to check to confirm the phone to use server assigned ip settings?

Guest benrickards

I haven't found any way of controlling the wi-fi connection. If I press the 'Reset IP' button nothing happens The 'contract internet' (3G mobile) connection allows server assignment but I don't know how the device controls switching between cellular network and wi-fi.

BTW my router is a DLink G604T.

Guest benrickards

I haven't found any way of controlling the wi-fi connection. If I press the 'Reset IP' button nothing happens The 'contract internet' (3G mobile) connection allows server assignment but I don't know how the device controls switching between cellular network and wi-fi.

BTW my router is a DLink G604T.

Guest benrickards

Maybe but I'm not going there! It's my wife's pride and joy so I'n not risking messing with the registry.

My question is how come it worked for both of us until today and now doesn't? I'm not aware we did anything to cause the problem.

Guest benrickards

Maybe but I'm not going there! It's my wife's pride and joy so I'n not risking messing with the registry.

My question is how come it worked for both of us until today and now doesn't? I'm not aware we did anything to cause the problem.

Edited by benrickards

Ok, after going into the registry I have made a backup, and then navigated to local machine > comm > BTPAN1 > TCPIP and changed the ip address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.9

The 09 is because i had a spare slot on the router, but I suspect that anything above 192.168.02 would suffice.

I saved that, exited reg editor, restarted the phone, logged back in, and vola. Wifi is working again.

It remains to be seen if it will work on outside networks, but i cant see any reason why not.

My best guess would be that "something" changed the ip address range to include an invalid IP address (198.168.0.1).

The odd thing is that the BTPAN1 seems to be bluetooth driver, not anything to do with wifi, but perhaps something was conflicting with the bluetooth and wifi?

Edited by XNUK

Guest benrickards
Do you know how to use a registry editor?

I've used regedit on a desktop PC but I can't find my way to functions like that on the HD2. If you could point me in the right direction that would be a help. Oh and the best way of backing up the registry before editing.

As an update on the problem, we got the latest ROM from HTC and that appears to have solved the problem - for now! Probably worth doing if you haven't already. The HD2 now gets allocated to an IP address within the declared DHCP range on the router every time. I still don't understand how it was managing to substitute itself for the router on 192.168.1.1 though. Too weird.

In your /windows folder you will find a programme called REGEDIT.exe.

That is your registry editor.

Works the same as the PC version.

Make a backup using the tools menu before you start to change settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know i also have exactly the same problem on HD2

I get 192.168.1.1. on my home WLAN and at Work...

And if you think disconnecting your home computer is a problem, what about me, i've unintentionaly managed to kill web access of 40 computers at work for half an hour?!

Now my HD2 is powered off :D:D

My ROM build is the latest for EE: 1.48... something... Not 1.66...

Update: Next step trying to resolve this issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=11

Edited by nymare