Turn our omnia into a WiFi/GPS/Music/Video Player

Guest eclsnowman

Guest eclsnowman

I just wanted to pose the question: "how stripped down can you make a rom".

The reason is simple I don't need it to be a phone anymore. I like many have moved on to the droid, but windows mobile had many nice features I don't want to die. The i910 only sells for $40-50 bucks online so it's not worth selling it.

I miss the nice camera, iGO Amigo GPS, Coreplayer for video, S2P for music. I figure the battery life should be able to last a long time if it's not trying to be a phone all the time. I could even use the google voice part of the phone over wifi if I wanted to call from it.

I think if someone could make a kick ass windows wifi browser/media rom many of our Omnia's could live on indefinitely. I mean windows mobile is basically windows CE anyway right?

So is it possible? Lioryte/Waremike/RobStorm I am thinking of you :)

Guest Rob Storm
I just wanted to pose the question: "how stripped down can you make a rom".

The reason is simple I don't need it to be a phone anymore. I like many have moved on to the droid, but windows mobile had many nice features I don't want to die. The i910 only sells for $40-50 bucks online so it's not worth selling it.

I miss the nice camera, iGO Amigo GPS, Coreplayer for video, S2P for music. I figure the battery life should be able to last a long time if it's not trying to be a phone all the time. I could even use the google voice part of the phone over wifi if I wanted to call from it.

I think if someone could make a kick ass windows wifi browser/media rom many of our Omnia's could live on indefinitely. I mean windows mobile is basically windows CE anyway right?

So is it possible? Lioryte/Waremike/RobStorm I am thinking of you :)

Very possible. I've seriously been thinking of making a "non phone based ROM". Removing all aspects of the phone. May give it a shot this weekend whilst drinking a few Yuenlings... ;)

Guest eclsnowman
Very possible. I've seriously been thinking of making a "non phone based ROM". Removing all aspects of the phone. May give it a shot this weekend whilst drinking a few Yuenlings... :)

I sent over a beer your way via donation, I am glad to help fuel creativity. I really do miss the Omnia forums. The android boys can be a little elitist (which is something I learned in the linux forums 7 years ago).

Keep fighting the good fight.

Guest Rob Storm
I sent over a beer your way via donation, I am glad to help fuel creativity. I really do miss the Omnia forums. The android boys can be a little elitist (which is something I learned in the linux forums 7 years ago).

Keep fighting the good fight.

Trying to find a way to turn Location On when there is no Phone Settings. Thanks for the beer... :)

Guest iandy1

Very interesting proposal.

That will keep the Omnia useful after an upgrade or change of carrier.

Thanks eclsnowman for another contribution to this forums, even after jumping ship, and to Rob Storm, sure he is the right man for the job.

Guest eclsnowman
Here is the first Omnia Non Phone ROM!

Please give as much feedback as you can. Version 0.90.

Non Phone 23549

Downloading it now to my house over remote desktop. That way it will be waiting for me when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

Guest nmayer79
Downloading it now to my house over remote desktop. That way it will be waiting for me when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

have not upgraded yet but this is still a very interesting proposal, downloading and saving for future use. thanks storm

Guest kdkinc

Rob: Hi..

You mentioned awhile back of getting a O2.

Are you still doing that or have you gone another way???

Ninja4hire has a nice rom for O2.

Thanks

Ken :) ;)

Guest eclsnowman

Sorry, I got sent out of town on work 2 hours after my last post. They didn't even give me time to go home and grab my laptop so I could flash my omnia. Anyway, I look forward to trying it out tonight.

The more I thought about it, the more I realize it will probably be a real pain to keep all the phone features from getting in the way of it's operation (like how many features won't work over wifi, just cell data). But I am still hopeful.

Guest Rob Storm
Sorry, I got sent out of town on work 2 hours after my last post. They didn't even give me time to go home and grab my laptop so I could flash my omnia. Anyway, I look forward to trying it out tonight.

The more I thought about it, the more I realize it will probably be a real pain to keep all the phone features from getting in the way of it's operation (like how many features won't work over wifi, just cell data). But I am still hopeful.

I removed the phone part of the ROM abd added in the PDA packages.

Edited by Rob Storm

Guest smashedpumpkins

Great to hear! I'll be upgrading and I'd hate to waste this phone. It's basically a mini laptop. It won't be until January though :\

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mackrox
Could anyone post some pic of the new NonPhone Rom... thanks in advance..

This would be a great idea, post up some screenshots. Once my omnia is retired, it's going to be a personal MP3 player! I would love to boot it up to a MP3-only interface.. with some apps.

Guest Thee Antic

Bump, I like the idea, have yet to install the rom on my phone but am willing to buy someone a beer if they can make a fully functioning mp4 player out of my omnia!

Guest paxtonland
Bump, I like the idea, have yet to install the rom on my phone but am willing to buy someone a beer if they can make a fully functioning mp4 player out of my omnia!

Same here (bump)

Guest cerberez
Same here (bump)

Yes! I've loved my omnia throughout all 2 years of my service contract and I'd love to keep it useful!

I would love for this to be a continuing project!

P.S. how would you turn it into a media remote control like MechAniX suggests? I thought it didn't have infrared... I want to learn more!

Guest cerberez

i accidentally posted twice. I guess that means I have double enthusiasm for this project!

Dang, it would be so awesome to have a super-light version, without any of the phone stuff!

Edited by cerberez

Guest Bouvrie

You could alternatively also add some applications like AEBPlus to take care of the (lack of) buttons on the Omnia. With AEBPlus you can attach multiple functions to the buttons, depending on whether you press them once, twice, thrice or keep the button pressed.

Would be handy, being able to fast forward/reverse, volume up/down, navigate, toggle audio/subtitle streams, playlist, etc. Not to mention toggle wifi/bluetooth/screen and the likes. ;)

Guest cerberez

This project also shows tremendous promise for people looking for an awesome ipod-touch-like device... you could pick up an old omnia for 60 bucks on ebay, flash ron storm's awesome rom, and have an mp3 player/wifi/gps/camera device for a great price.

Me, I'm seriously starting to think I can't afford 30 bucks a month. As much as it pains me, I might go back to carrying 2 devices - a tricked-out omnia for taking pictures and doing calendar stuff (will wired Activesync or wireless through wifi work on your ROM?) and a dumbphone.

Guest Maver

well isn't there apps you can use to turn off your data part of the phone? (or disable it by breaking one of the files it needs for cdma data?) could always flash back to fix it. that way you only have to carry around 1 device. (i have the extended battery on my omnia so it's huge and the thought of carrying around another phone kills me)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nmayer79
well isn't there apps you can use to turn off your data part of the phone? (or disable it by breaking one of the files it needs for cdma data?) could always flash back to fix it. that way you only have to carry around 1 device. (i have the extended battery on my omnia so it's huge and the thought of carrying around another phone kills me)

Am loving the idea of this project. Has anyone used this rom yet? Thoughts? Comments?

Gonna try to keep giving this thread a bump......

Guest WhoTheHellAmI

i'm getting ready to download it now...will post a review as soon as i try it out. (School network sucks so im downloading it through my new Omnia2, still wishing the ANDROMNiA project was a little further along, by the time they get something figured out, nobody will have an omnia left on verizon's network.)

edit1: download is about a third of the way done. the suspense is building xD

edit2: download complete. preparing to flash

edit3: it hangs at the screen with the (WinPhone7 logo and Welcome) it also shows the data connection icon (arrows left and right) with an x showing no connection, as well as the cellular icon...i guess i'll try reflashing, then try ANDROMNiA if that doesn't work. i have no need for the phone functions anyway

Edited by WhoTheHellAmI