27/May r2 - Desire Camera application on Nexus One (MCR/CM/Enomther)

Guest PaulOBrien

As many of you will know, i've been doing lots of work lately on porting the Desire ROM to the Nexus One which has, er, been interesting. :P One of the implications of this is that i've been messing around with the Camera application to get it to work properly on non-Desire kernels. I now have it 100% working on my Desire ROM, so I thought i'd have a quick look to see if it was feasible to port it to regular Nexus One builds (such as my MCR 2.1 ROM) build.

To cut a long story short, it works! :)

I have added an option to the MCR 2.1 kitchen and the CM 5.0.6 kitchen to include the Desire Camera application. Update zips are also available below for MCR r15, CM 5.0.7.1 and Enomther 1.8.1. Do NOT use these on any ROM other than the ones they are designed for!

AFAIK all the features are working as desired (sic), and i'm continuing to work on a couple of requested features such as saving to the standard /DCIM/Camera directory. The Desire Camera app REPLACES the standard one.

If you wish to do so, you can express your appreciation by signing up to a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus Account using PayPal or Google Checkout, as detailed in this post on MoDaCo. As well as donating to support the work that goes into all the various MoDaCo activites, you get cool stuff like free software (there's some great Android stuff coming too!), and ad free MoDaCo site and of course access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchen. All signups are very much appreciated.

Enjoy! ;)

P

Downloads

Update zip for MCR r15 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 66f42d10b55ba81fe1e48e79ebc66291

Update zip for CM 5.0.7.1 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 104f2b29e865c061a0912948f12cce5e

Update zip for Enomther 1.8.1 (OC/UV) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) MD5: 7eab085693cc11fd64836e304c16e778

Upgrade instructions

If upgrading from a previous Desire Camera release, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND reinstalling your chosen base ROM again, as some previously altered files (e.g. the Gallery APK) are no longer modified.

Changelog

r2
No longer requires a patched framework.jar (ROM chefs, include com.htc.framework.jar in your bootclasspath BEFORE framework.jar)
No longer requires a patched Gallery3D
Now using Enomther's slimmed HTC resources apk (thanks!)
Camcorder icon is now removed (now showing Camera icon only, until I fix the Camcorder link)
r1
Initial Release

Guest fabiocampos
Gallery button click FC resolved, just the share button to do now. :)

P

Wow, good news @Paul. I´m waiting for next release.

Have a nice work ;)

Guest pasael

.... and what about the HTC widgets ??? ... i use the Sense interface only for a couple of widgets like friendstream and time and weather.

Could it be possible ?? .... Thx Paul.

Guest Daswolven
Going to jump on in here and try this out on CM 5.0.5.3. Nandroid backup running now....

...and I jumped the gun there. Restoring now. (drums fingers frantically)

Guest The Hero
CM 5.0.5.3 download added. Enjoy everyone! :)

P

PS It's a TEST version. ;)

Test seems to be working all good on CM 5.0.5.3! A helluva lot faster with the picture taking, too!

Uploads/Sharing working just fine. Sweet.

Guest notfive

Sweet. Flashing it now, will let you know how it works :)

Now all we need is a port of those wonderful zoomable Sense UI homescreens ;)

Seriously though, thanks so much Paul!

Sweet. Flashing it now, will let you know how it works :)

Now all we need is a port of those wonderful zoomable Sense UI homescreens :P

Seriously though, thanks so much Paul!

I think this is not gonna happen. That would mean that the whole Sense framework would have to be ripped and imported to normal roms, and I guess that's too big job and maybe even impossible.

Just use Desire rom if you need the Sense candy ;)

Guest The Hero

This is gonna sound weird, but installing this camera update has killed my Wi-Fi. Gonna try a re-flash of CM 5.0.5.3 and see if that helps.

EDIT: Nope. All I get now is "unable to start WiFi."

EDIT 2: Wipe + CM 5.0.5.3 + Desire Camera = NO WiFi :-(

Edited by The Hero

Guest notfive
I think this is not gonna happen. That would mean that the whole Sense framework would have to be ripped and imported to normal roms, and I guess that's too big job and maybe even impossible.

Just use Desire rom if you need the Sense candy :)

I'm actually using HelixLauncher2 at the moment, and it's working nicely. Zoomable homescreens would be awesome, but I'm happy enough without them.

Back on topic:

POSSIBLE CAMERA BUG: new pictures seem to show up in the gallery under the 100MEDIA folder, instead of in the original Camera group. Flashed the update.zip over MCR 2.1

Installed on 5.0.5.3 and seems to be working great!

Much better than the stock Nexus camera!!!! :)

Fantastic work, cheers Paul ;)

I'd love you long time if you manage to get the FM radio working :P

Guest AndrewTan
I'm actually using HelixLauncher2 at the moment, and it's working nicely. Zoomable homescreens would be awesome, but I'm happy enough without them.

Back on topic:

POSSIBLE CAMERA BUG: new pictures seem to show up in the gallery under the 100MEDIA folder, instead of in the original Camera group. Flashed the update.zip over MCR 2.1

I dont think this is a bug, in desire ROM, it also store in 100MEDIA folder instead the original Nexus One folder.