HD2 vs Nexus One - who has jumped ship ?

Guest jwhipple

Guest jwhipple

I come from a WinMo background and when I came to T-Mobile I decided to give Android a shot.

Sure, it's a great OS, but my roots are from the WinMo world. I like WinMo , and I like Android. I've learned a lot about Android, but I know way more about WinMo than I'll probably ever know about Android.

With that having been said, now I am looking at the HD2 ... That HUGE screen combined with the Snapdragon CPU , I am DROOLING.

So are there any others who have jumped the Nexus One ship over to the HD2? If so, what were YOUR reasons?

I'm seriously considering picking up an HD2 then putting my Nexus One up on Ebay along with the desktop dock - I'd like to get some feedback from others first though!

Thanks in advance!

Guest Just_Testing
I come from a WinMo background and when I came to T-Mobile I decided to give Android a shot.

Sure, it's a great OS, but my roots are from the WinMo world. I like WinMo , and I like Android. I've learned a lot about Android, but I know way more about WinMo than I'll probably ever know about Android.

With that having been said, now I am looking at the HD2 ... That HUGE screen combined with the Snapdragon CPU , I am DROOLING.

So are there any others who have jumped the Nexus One ship over to the HD2? If so, what were YOUR reasons?

I'm seriously considering picking up an HD2 then putting my Nexus One up on Ebay along with the desktop dock - I'd like to get some feedback from others first though!

Thanks in advance!

Just Did, not regretting one bit the HD2 is an amazing phone, I just flash Energy's rom US version and is blazing fast, if I could mention one single thing that I dislike going back to winmobile after Android taste is Handcent sms app from android was simply amazing, winmobile is simple without a lot of customization but other than that the HD2 is AWESOME, definitely a keeper...

Guest Chicago1

I had to return Nexus One... It's half a$$ designed phone. Had a lot of grief with a little support from Google.

Love my new HD2. Although, have it since 10 AM of March 24th done some minor changes and looking for more.

Guest jwhipple

I've tracked down a few at a couple of different local shops, so, I'm going to head here in an hour and pick one up.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the N1's radio issues. Side by side with my work issued BB 8320 on Tmobile as well the N1 was dropping calls right and left, but absolutely no issues with the Blackberry. Data connections were dropping constantly as well, again, no trouble on the blackberry.

I'll let you know if I think it was worth it - I'll hold onto the Nexus until I know for sure :-)

Until then, any additional comments are welcome and appreciated!

Edited by jwhipple

Guest jwhipple
I've tracked down a few at a couple of different local shops, so, I'm going to head here in an hour and pick one up.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the N1's radio issues. Side by side with my work issued BB 8320 on Tmobile as well the N1 was dropping calls right and left, but absolutely no issues with the Blackberry. Data connections were dropping constantly as well, again, no trouble on the blackberry.

I'll let you know if I think it was worth it - I'll hold onto the Nexus until I know for sure :-)

Until then, any additional comments are welcome and appreciated!

Oh it was SOOOO worth it to switch over - my Nexus One and Dock are going on Ebay tonight!!!!

Signal strength is nearly DOUBLE of that which the N1 was getting. 3G is CONSTANT between my home, my office and everywhere in between, as where the N1 dropped into EDGE at least 75% of the time.

NO dropped calls - with the N1 I was dropping calls right and left, literally 1 out of 3 calls. With the HD2 I've had ZERO.

Guest PuMAcAtDrOId

Thanks in advance!

So this is my take on the Nexus and the HD2. I have had the Nexus since a few days after it was released. I came from the mytouch 3G and the G1 before that. Which after about a day of using the Nexus became absolutely impossible to tolerate due to the speed and overall usability difference. I absolutely lov(ed) the Nexus and and Android is incredible. However, I must say that although the nexus was semingly the most amazing phone ever created, it should have been created differently. Two weeks ago my memory card slot under the battery broke and so I was no longer able to :click in" my memory card. So when I would take my battery out and put it back in I would have to do so a certain way to make sure it locked the sd card in place and didnt smash it or jam it up or something. Another issue that started a couple days ago was lack of proper performance from the trackball. It would actually not move the needed items on screen either up or down for almost an hour. Then suddenly it started working fine. I think that the truly only reason the Nexus is, was or is considered such an amazing phone is because its the first one in the series of Android releases to have the speed from the snapdragon, the 2.1 and livewallpapers, and such a beautiful display. In the next 9 months I guarantee we will see phone after phone take the place of the nexus one as such an amazing superphone. So to end my short... Wait.. Way to long story.. I accidentaly left my nexus on top of my car today and drove off, not realizing I had done so until it was too late. An hour later after finding out Tmobile insurance will only send me the money I spent on the phone and not the phone itself, and even that will take 4 to 6 weeks, I ended up at the store looking at the HTC HD2 which sold out in the first 45 min at my store. How much did I like the HD2? I am driving an hour and a half away tomorrow to pick one up. I just hope it doesnt take too long to port the Android to the HD2. :P

Guest bartveld

I already have a HD2 and decided to look into Android, since I have severe doubts about the way Microsoft is going with WM7. It takes some getting used to, Android, but soon enough you can make things work. The only thing is, once you get below the surface you find out that open source isn't all that open. Why do you need to "root" (another word you quickly learn) your phone to do things which are quite basic in WM? Why are there files I can't touch? It's MY phone, I will decide to brick it or not!

Also, I find the quality of 3rd party apps dismal. There is a lot, yes, and a lot is free, yes, but most of it is worthless. I've posted at an Android forum, asking for good replacements of certain WM apps, like Pocket Informant, SPB Wallet, Coreplayer, Nitrogen, Mobipocket and such. So far, no one came up with an answer.

Apart from the fact that the HD2 is a beautiful phone with a terrific screen, I say go for WM 6.5 (and reserve judgment for WM7S).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zole2112

I had a N1 for about 2 months but I sold it when the ATT version was released intending to buy that (I'm on ATT) to get the 3G capability. In the meantime the HD2 for TMobile came out and I was intrigued so I bought the HD2 to try it out in comparison to the N1 and I love the HD2! It has taken me a while getting it set up the way I want it and I have not flashed a custom rom yet but I am thinking I'll stay with the HD2.

As far as the N1, I love Handcent as someone else noted and Android is easy to use but WinMo 6.5 is so powerful, it's better for people who like to customize. The HD2 hardware is so sweet I'm sold, even though no 3G for me.

Guest barrybryce

My heart has sat with Win Mo since 2002, although I was getting a bit fed up with it being left behind in terms of technology and poor selection of phones. I was thinking about switching to something Android, as I was months overdue my upgrade because there was nothing to upgrade to and as there didn't seem to be any prospect of anything coming in the near future.

The HD2 has allayed my fears about staying with Windows because

- It's interface is nearly as good as iPhone and the screen is nicer

- The hardware is excellent - great camera etc

- HTC's add on to WinMo isn't, as I thought it would be and as operator additions to previous windows phones have been, something I needed to get rid of as quickly as possible. It's actually really good and fills in all the missing holes in Windows really well

- It's still Windows, and even if it's not necessarily the best, it takes the lead by bagging all the familiarity points ;)

Edited by barrybryce

Guest shingers5

well well i must add my 2 cents here. i got nexus one from when released and got rid yesterday for HD2. i have had 3 HD2s since released but got rid due to just being me(long story) for me the nexus one was supposed to be my ultimate phone ............not the case as it turned out i am afraid. my htc hero performs better than my nexus one! dont laugh its true. i am fed up of the lack of multimedia prowress on android seriously! nothing to play avi, divx etc out the box. nexus one could not even play mp4s with h264 codec! come one even ma hero did that. i also kept my nexus one as stock so that for me was unacceptable. i am aware that skyfire is in alpha stage for android and corecodec coreplayer is nearing alpha as well but come on!!!!!!!!!! nexus one cost me 475 quid and i regretted it from day one. now i am back with HD2 and have now decided thats it till wp7 devices and roms start rolling out. we have skyfire, coreplayer etc to name a few and so much support its amazing. htcpedia are currently working on alpha of wp7 for HD2 as seen on videos from youtube so this device is truly one to own. i am sticking with the HD2 and it wont be long till we have a stable android build working on it. with hd2 the possibilities are currently endless but android will eventually eclipse winmo. dont support MS stance on wp7 and if not changed many will defect i am afraid. anyway just my 2 cents..............HOLLA

Guest Ducter

I traded my Nexus for the HD2 and so wish I could go back, I simply prefer Android over Windows. The HD2 is a great device but just not for me.

• 3 months later...
Guest chris-do-algarve
I have a HTC Google Nexus One rootedand running CyanogenMod.  My plan is to get a Leo, HSPLit, and dual boot Windows and Android.  Not jumping ship but rather sailing on two.

Guest zagzag99
I traded my Nexus for the HD2 and so wish I could go back, I simply prefer Android over Windows. The HD2 is a great device but just not for me.

I have a HTC Google Nexus One rootedand running CyanogenMod.  My plan is to get a Leo, HSPLit, and dual boot Windows and Android.  Not jumping ship but rather sailing on two.

Exactly... I sail both.

I bought myself an HD2 and a NexusOne for my girlfriend, so I have them both.

I must admit that after 3 days with WM on HD2 I made the first try with Android... and I have never turned back to WM.

WM 6.5 is lame on the HD2, it doesn't appreciate the hardware on which it runs.

Even MS dumped the idea of making a WM 7 that would support it - Idiots !

HD2 is big... it requires some time to get used to the size, but the ported Android ROM simply makes it shine.