HTC Desire root update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Fruchtzwerg
Where did you get this O2 phone, as O2-UK haven't released the Desire yet?

I would imagine that the root method wouldn't be going through any official bootloader methods?

I would be very interested to see if the root works on your phone?

It is from O² Germany.

Guest The-Nazgul

Hmm I got an O2 Germany Desire as well, but had no time to put an official rom on it via goldcard.

Are you sure about the bootloader? I believe its the same HTC rom/bootloader. O2 just added a shortcut and that stupid navigation program.

Guest QahtaniMan
Please indulge a newbee...

1. Can someone point me to the procedure for the root AND,

2. Do you know if it's possible to do a ROM upgrade to HTC Desire so it will work on the AT&T 3G network in the US? I have the phone, with AT&T SIM card. Technical support in HTC told me it’s possible but they are not sure if HTC engineering is working on that ROM.

Guidance please.

1. From Twitter @PaulOBrien Right, all being well, root coming for all Desire owners tomorrow! :-) (must eat now!)

2. AFAIK that's a hardware limitation. eg. phones that can connect to 3G networks in Canada won't be able to connect to 3G networks in Europe or the Middle East.

Guest trashjunkie

Hi all,

I've been signed up to this site since the very early days in 2003. Paul created this site around the same time I started my smarterphone.co.uk site, around the the time the SPV Smartphone was released. I was working for Orange at the time and knew Smartphones were going to be HUGE! My site started well enough, with downloadable custom themes and the like but it eventually crashed and burned. I have always kept an eye out here but never got round to posting before. Maybe its because I'm so jealous of all the good stuff he's done here lol. Well this is my first ever post and its to finally say to Paul

Weldone Mate!!!!

Cracking the desire is a job well done

Ps... Im even from the same sodding City! Maybe I should have suggested collaboration back in the day haha

pps... Norwich City FC Champions 2009 / 2010!

Guest Honestly77

Hey Paul, you think this method is going to work on the HTC Incredible as well? Or is the hardware to different?

Edited by Honestly77

Guest fubuman_05

@paul...

do you thing the bootloader is signed... like the milestone? or you think it is easier the crack...

root permisions is great but for custom roms we need a free boorloader... or I am wrong?

Guest maati

Hey Paul!

Just for clarification (I hope I didn't miss something, sorry if I did): Do you have full file system write acess or root permissions only?

Guest nekromantik
Hey Paul!

Just for clarification (I hope I didn't miss something, sorry if I did): Do you have full file system write acess or root permissions only?

I think that screen shot means that he has full access :huh:

Guest nemanracing
It might do... I'll liaise with someone with an incredible tomorrow to try.

P

Keep up the great work Paul!!!! Subscribed. Will keep an eye on this as I'll get my HTC Incredible on 4/29...

Guest sterallures

I've just joined this forum a few days ago because I just bought my HTC Desire but this is just fantastic! I can almost immediately get root access!

Congrats on your accomplishment Paul and I hope I can follow your instructions and get root access myself!

Keep up this fantastic work!