14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest EddyOS

step 2 running this time, once done whats the last bit? select wipe and then flash the zip off the card or is it auto?

edit:dont worry, doing it now...

Edited by EddyOS

Guest 42turkeys
step 2 running this time, once done whats the last bit? select wipe and then flash the zip off the card or is it auto?

Wipe then flash .zip . If you want to use modaco Rom then move it to root of SD card and flash that.

Guest StuMcBill
Using Windows 32 bits...

(Thanks for the prompt reply)

What errors are you getting. Using the procedure I followed (on page 79), I got an HBOOT 90 error at the end of the first step, but continued an everything went ok?

I didn't have any luck with the TinyCoreLinux method (was taking over 20 minutes to complete step 2), but maybe you could try it and you might be better?

Hope this is some help.

Stewart

Guest matmbl

I had a bit of a nightmare doing this last night, mainly as I'm a complete android noob (but I've been flashing WinMo for years). But finally did it it so maybe useful to add some "debug" information to the guide. I rooted using Windows 7 (32bit): suggestions are

- While in bootloader first time around windows should have "Android 1.0" driver operational in device manager, only then you can run step1.

- To get this driver, install the Android SDK, plug phone in (while in bootloader) and install driver from the usb_driver directory in the SDK

- After step1 is complete, select the "recovery" option and the device will change to a black screen with a picture of phone (with an ! mark next to it).

- At this stage windows should recognise the device as an "Android Composite ADB device". Mine had a "ADB!" device unrecognised, I had to update driver via the select from list / have disk method and force the "Android Composite ADB device" option.

- Once you have a working ADB device, you can run step2

Finally

- to wipe device, flash update (green menu) you need to use the optical mouse. Interestingly as I only got my desire hours before I rooted it I didn't actually know the optical mouse was also a button (press the button to select the menu option)

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Matt

Guest dju

windows seven 64b

sdk working

orange fr desire

build 1.15.73.12

hdboot 0.75.000

microp : 0.14

radio 4.05.00.11

>The guide

>Follow through these steps, one by one and at the end of it you'll have a rooted Desire with the latest ROM.

>Note: This process will wipe your device and there is currently no option to backup your device ROM before you start.

>[*]Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

>[*]Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.

>[*]Turn off your HTC Desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

>[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

error

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (Too many links))

black screen with HTC LOGO

unplug desire

white screen with green RUU

plug desire

black screen with HTC LOGO

use fastboot (in my path) from sdk

fastboot flash zip testimage.zip

succes :P

fastboot reboot-bootloader

wait from boot

build 1.15.405.3

>[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

Error :

D:\tmp\r4-desire-root>step2-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

failed to copy 'files/etc/mtab' to '/etc/mtab': Read-only file system

busybox: not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

but

from terminal

D:\tmp\r4-desire-root>adb shell

# su

su

# id

id

uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

strange, i 'll make some tests

Edited by dju

Guest bibib

Been getting the same error as a few people (Windows 7 Pro 64bit)

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Rebooting to bootloader...

< waiting for device >

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

It also dosent let me select recovery when I go to bootloader after step 1. It hangs then it starts trying to load some SD file or something.

Gonna try redoing it all with TinyCoreLinux tomorrow.

Edited by bibib

Guest carbo20

Hello ,

a. can someone please post the link to - r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip

i can't find it anyway.

b. after i root the desire with the r4 version (plus r3 linux) should i copy the r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip to the sd card root directory ?

c. after copying the file to the sd what should i do then?

thanks.

Guest Original_Illium

Hi Paul,

I managed to root my Telstra Desire today, though I'm not exactly sure how?! The issue is though:

I loaded this ROM:

RUU_Bravo_H3G_UK_1.20.771.3_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.0 6.00.02_2_release_124822.exe

All good however I then found some apps were missing from the Android App Store, particulalrly ones I had already purchased, they were now gonsky!

So I tried loading:

RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.19.707.6_Radio_32.36.00.2 8U_4.06.00.02_2_rel_124362.exe

But I keep getting "ERROR [140]: BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR, no matter what I try, no getting round this error!

I even tried running through the R4 guide which strangely worked exactly as it says it would (earlier today it wouldn't complete all the way). Following the guide all the way through hasn't changed the HBOOT version or allowed me to burn any other ROMs!

I noticed my HBOOT version has changed form 0.75.0000 to 0.80.0000 (after I loaded: RUU_Bravo_H3G_UK_1.20.771.3_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.0 6.00.02_2_release_124822.exe).

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Edited by Original_Illium

Guest Vincent Veenbrink

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed: Invalid argument

2426 KB/s (126444599 bytes in 50.880s)

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

I have a problem... and this is the only error message I get...

when going to wipe, I cannot see any update from SD card option!

So anybody know what I am doing wrong???

Please Help

Vincent

Guest xTc is loVe

Hey there =) thanks for your Hboot 0.80 Root =) Everything went fine....

Just one Problem...

I cant mount my SDCard? I tested a Kitchen Version of your Rom with AP2SD and one without in both versions i cant mount my Sdcard by pulling down the notificaion bar..... But i can mount it with Dual Mount SD Widget ......

And i just cant get again into recovery menu.... my desire is rootet! But i get this message:post-643847-1273493505_thumb.jpg

Any solution?

Sry for my bad English

Edited by xTc is loVe

Guest lambrospower

@matmbl

when i try to update the driver it says windows could not find a driver for the device. i tried right clicking and installing it manually but it says it cannot be installed this way!!!!!

please help me to install the drivers

Guest bibib
@matmbl

when i try to update the driver it says windows could not find a driver for the device. i tried right clicking and installing it manually but it says it cannot be installed this way!!!!!

please help me to install the drivers

Try turning your phone on in fastboot (on and on, then hold back)

Then connect the phone to your computer, then update your driver to the sdk ones.

Guest afiorillo
Hey there =) thanks for your Hboot 0.80 Root =) Everything went fine....

Just one Problem...

I cant mount my SDCard? I tested a Kitchen Version of your Rom with AP2SD and one without in both versions i cant mount my Sdcard by pulling down the notificaion bar..... But i can mount it with Dual Mount SD Widget ......

And i just cant get again into recovery menu.... my desire is rootet! But i get this message:post-643847-1273493505_thumb.jpg

Any solution?

Sry for my bad English

It seems like you've not property extracted the ZIPfile, check that the enclosed directories was re-created. :P

Guest DLDarklink

Just rooted my device with Ubuntu :P

installed Apps2SD Fresh and Radio Update.

no probs :D

with Win7 (32-bit) I had a lot of errors... Linux did it without problems.

Guest Jesper Korsager
This sounds good.

But I have one question. I have a Danish Desire so if I flash this will it be english or what?

Nope it will still be danish. Danish user myself

Guest ai69
[*]Turn off your HTC Desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

[*]Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! :P

I'm sitting in front of my PC, staring at the screen, and hesitant to make the next step. Can you guys please bear with me, and explain, in detail, what goes on here?

OK, here's what I have done:

1. I have made a goldcard. I now have a microSD which I made into a goldcard according to the instructions provided in the link in this guide. I presume this is an empty microSD with some properties changes so that it's "gold"

2. I have downloaded r4-desire-root.zip and unzipped it into a directory; I then navigated in command line and have "step1-windows.bat" in front of me, ready to hit ENTER.

3. I have my phone rebooted with the "Back" button held, so I have the "FASTBOOT USB" menu, and the phone IS connected to the PC.

4. REMOVE THE GOLDCARD - what does this mean??? Does it mean my goldcard should be INSERTED into the phone BEFORE I connect it to the PC in the "FASTBOOT" mode???

...and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD
- does this mean I should REMOVE the goldcard from the phone AND replace it with a normal microSD (i.e. there has to be a microSD card inserter into the phone at all time)???

Really appreciate some guidance here, please. My main reason for rooting is, I really don't like the Sense too much and want a stock Google ROM, and also running low on memory is really killing me. This is my first-ever Android, and bricking it would be the last thing I would want now. Thanks!o