Newbie questions - possible to get GPS on i910? My computer is a MAC...

Guest tikidoc

Guest tikidoc

I have a Verizon i910 and pretty much currently just use basic stuff - phone, contacts, internet, email, occasional music and games. I had one of the shell programs (SPB?) installed for a while but did a hard reboot recently and am happy with the factory stuff (except the calendar, which sucks). I have read a little about getting the GPS to work but the thread here dedicated to that is 67 pages long, so a bit overwhelming to someone who does not know the detailed ins and outs of messing with this phone. To make matters more complicated, my computer is a MacBook Pro. I would prefer to have all the "stuff" for my electronic devices on one computer, but I could certainly use my husband's laptop to install something to the phone if need be. I would prefer not to have to phone tied to his computer for the long term though.

I'd love to install something that would allow me to use GPS on my phone but I don't want to do it unless:

1. It's easy to set up. I am good at following directions and am relatively computer proficient, but less Omnia-proficient. I'm new to the Mac (I have a 2010 MBP with Snow Leopard), and am fairly comfortable with Windows. My husband's laptop runs Vista.

2. There is not a significant risk of doing permanent damage to my phone.

So can someone point me in a direction that will help me out? I tried to look through the first several and last couple pages of the very, very long thread and felt pretty lost. I also found nothing about doing any of this on a Mac.

Guest peperonikiller
I have a Verizon i910 and pretty much currently just use basic stuff - phone, contacts, internet, email, occasional music and games. I had one of the shell programs (SPB?) installed for a while but did a hard reboot recently and am happy with the factory stuff (except the calendar, which sucks). I have read a little about getting the GPS to work but the thread here dedicated to that is 67 pages long, so a bit overwhelming to someone who does not know the detailed ins and outs of messing with this phone. To make matters more complicated, my computer is a MacBook Pro. I would prefer to have all the "stuff" for my electronic devices on one computer, but I could certainly use my husband's laptop to install something to the phone if need be. I would prefer not to have to phone tied to his computer for the long term though.

I'd love to install something that would allow me to use GPS on my phone but I don't want to do it unless:

1. It's easy to set up. I am good at following directions and am relatively computer proficient, but less Omnia-proficient. I'm new to the Mac (I have a 2010 MBP with Snow Leopard), and am fairly comfortable with Windows. My husband's laptop runs Vista.

2. There is not a significant risk of doing permanent damage to my phone.

So can someone point me in a direction that will help me out? I tried to look through the first several and last couple pages of the very, very long thread and felt pretty lost. I also found nothing about doing any of this on a Mac.

Hello! So im guessing you are running the original firmware that your phone came with! Simple solution to your problem: Update your rom to the last update which came out last month!

"""

Method 1: Verizon's update software

* Download the VZW update software here: http://sharebee.com/bd345218 (just choose a link and download)

* DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE YET!

* Run the .exe and follow it step by step, it's pretty fool proof and self-explantatory.

* Only plug in your phone when prompted to in the update process!

"""

NOTE: You will need to use a WINDOWS machine for this, so i do suggest using that Vista laptop you spoke of, it should only take about 10 minutes to complete the process. This is also just the CF03 update, it enables GPS so you dont have to go to the DC22 update if you dont want to.

Make sure you backup your data as well because the update will hard reset your phone.

After you have updated your phone all you have to do is go to

Settings -> Phone Settings -> GPS -> and enable "Location ON"... do a soft reset and it should work.

The omnia's do take a while to get a first lock so make sure your outside or somewhere that you can get good satellite signal.

If you need more help just let me know what part your stuck on or anything else. If your up for updated further to the DC22 update which has a few fixes just let me know and i can post the instructions for that as well