Internet Data Usage

Guest LessThanSte

Guest LessThanSte

Hello everyone

Simple question. I think im about to get myself a HD2, and for the first time am going down the data plan route (not having had one for the Diamond).

Looking at Orange, they either provide 500MB data usage (on Dolphin contracts) or Unlimited, but in reality 750MB data usage (fair usage) on Panther contracts. I have no idea how much data i go through a month though.

Can you lot post roughly how much data you use a month and what kind of usage that entails. Using a mapping software, every day of the month for an hour at a time would use how much, for example. Also audio streaming (listening to the radio or something) uses roughly how much? Do iPhones have fair usage data issues and if so what is there general usage?

What i dont want to do is get the 500MB package and find myself regularly getting close/over the limit and costing myself a fortune, and similarly i dont want to be only using 200MB if im on the Unlimited plan.

Thanks

Steve

P.S. Does the HD2 have any way of keeping an eye on data usage?

Guest barrybryce

Hello

I can't answer the biggest bit of your question as I reduce data use by having Co-Pilot (which is really cheap) for sat nav and NaviComputer (free) with data from Open Street Map for places that I know I'm likely to get lost in (check OSM coverage first on their website - places like university towns tend to be great, but in some towns it's useless) downloaded to the phone.

What I can say is that while the HD2 doesn't have a way of monitoring data usage, the Orange website does.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest woaloo
Hello

I can't answer the biggest bit of your question as I reduce data use by having Co-Pilot (which is really cheap) for sat nav and NaviComputer (free) with data from Open Street Map for places that I know I'm likely to get lost in (check OSM coverage first on their website - places like university towns tend to be great, but in some towns it's useless) downloaded to the phone.

What I can say is that while the HD2 doesn't have a way of monitoring data usage, the Orange website does.

You can give a try to phone alarm for monitoring data usage.