Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest eckengucker1

Informations:

Kernel: 2.6.32

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest BigBearMDC
I meet non of the requirements above but I guess its as good as any time to try and learn.

Everyone starts as a noob :rolleyes:

Guest robertopero

Okay I am not a kernel hacker, I only use Linux about 3-4 years ago. But I would like to help. :rolleyes:

What is the first thing we need to do?

Guest BigBearMDC
Okay I am not a kernel hacker, I only use Linux about 3-4 years ago. But I would like to help. :D

We start with the easier part first:

Patch the 2.6.32 kernel and get it booting :rolleyes:

Guest _melchett

While not being a dev, i can offer to bring some Barry White music to the Lurve party. I can also offer Lionel Richie music.

Guest eckengucker1
Okay I am not a kernel hacker, I only use Linux about 3-4 years ago. But I would like to help. :rolleyes:

First of all we should upload all files to bitbucket. But the storage is limited to 1 GB so we start with the kernel. The next step is the to create a vendor/makefile => http://pdk.android.com/online-pdk/guide/bu...new_device.html

Guest Stevos

I'm also not experienced with this stuff, but will be doing some research to learn what I can.

My GF would like me to point out that I will be unavailable for any "lurve party", but she has an iPhone, so her judgement on this issue is suspect.

Guest flip360
I meet non of the requirements above but I guess its as good as any time to try and learn.

+1 and moral support :rolleyes:

Guest -Wii-
I know nothing about these things, but I'll help out by giving moral support!

Great going everybody, keep up the good work! :rolleyes:

My Knowledge of coding goes as far as an A-level in ICT but I have just finished my first year of University I have 4 months to provide assistance so If someone can point me in the right direction then I am ready to start learning.

Guest rhen
Yap.

It runs with the .29 kernel in the emulator too.

"Kernel Memory Management Boost: Improved memory reclaim by up to 20x, which results in faster app switching and smoother performance on memory-constrained devices." /developer.android.com/

So if we use .29 kernel, we lost the new memory management, which is important for a device with small amount of RAM (such as Pulse).

Maybe we should try to get .32 kernel work first, and if we can't get it work, port 2.2 to .29 kernel.

The new kernel should support Pulse's platform:

"support for new SoCs (msm7k, msm8k, etc) and boards/devices (G1, myTouch, NexusOne, Droid, etc) - they live under arch/arm/mach-*/... and don't have many special dependencies other than wakelocks (which can be conditionalized)" /lvn.net/

Guest giryan

There was a link to a "how to set up the build environment" page that someone posted a while ago. I can't find it though, could someone link it again?

Or explain? :rolleyes:

I've got Linux (FC12 and Ubuntu) machines I can do stuff on, and I'm interested in trying to help.

Guest eckengucker1

The sense of these tread is to build a proper 2.2 version and not to explain everyone how to do these. Just use google and learn.

You'll find all informations you need using google or bing or just go to your local library :rolleyes: We'll set up the kernel and everyone who wants to can download the kernel and develop. If everybody builds his own kernel we'll never reach our goal!