And in other news... I rooted the Streak!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Brantyr

That's fantastic news, the only stumbling block to my purchase of one of these now is whether the bootloader will accept unsigned kernels or not...

Guest Paul
That's fantastic news, the only stumbling block to my purchase of one of these now is whether the bootloader will accept unsigned kernels or not...

It will!

P

Guest mohamady77

Dear Paul

i'm from Egypt and i let one of my friend in UK buy a streak for me only after i knew that you started rooting it

i'm now living on the hope that you or any one can unlock it ...

do you have any idea about when it could be possible ?

Guest Brantyr
It will!

P

:)

Had hoped this would be the case, after all do Dell lock down their PCs so you can't install linux on them? God knows why manufacturers like Motorola care what you do with their hardware after you've bought it.

Guest SgtDavePwnage
Rebel sim confirmed as working. Firmware 1.1

Have you seen this working yourself? This would be very good news if it allows us to use other networks sim cards :)

Guest Dunhamzzz
Rebel sim confirmed as working. Firmware 1.1

You've got it unlocked? Can you link to which one you purchased? That sites layout is truly awful.

Guest pmprichard
You've got it unlocked? Can you link to which one you purchased? That sites layout is truly awful.

I have the dell streak working with android 1.6, not rooted yet.

Rebel sim II which i bought for the iphone. Flashed the firmware to what i think is the htc firmware 1.1 (flashed the rebel sim that is) using the reader they supply and it just worked. Oh, I also had to add an APN.

Using an orange sim atm but havn't tested 3g as in an area of bad reception but i do not see why it wouldn't work

Have to say love the streak.

ps it was a bit of a bugger to get the rebel sim into the phone.

Guest griff_dai
I have the dell streak working with android 1.6, not rooted yet.

Rebel sim II which i bought for the iphone. Flashed the firmware to what i think is the htc firmware 1.1 (flashed the rebel sim that is) using the reader they supply and it just worked. Oh, I also had to add an APN.

Using an orange sim atm but havn't tested 3g as in an area of bad reception but i do not see why it wouldn't work

Have to say love the streak.

ps it was a bit of a bugger to get the rebel sim into the phone.

Can you do a bit of tutorial on how to go about this for us who are not to savy with this process. (where to get the firmware etc)

Also, can you do a few pics to confirm that it's working on Orange fella.

Cheers

Guest pmprichard
Can you do a bit of tutorial on how to go about this for us who are not to savy with this process. (where to get the firmware etc)

Also, can you do a few pics to confirm that it's working on Orange fella.

Cheers

I used rebel simcard II and put on the firmware that i think they ship with their htc package. They ship the rebel sim with different firmwares. Probably the HTC package would work. They also sell little readers to copy new firmware on so you can update them and version 1.1 works with no problems that i have noticed so far.

The rebel sim goes inbetween the sim and the phone and works its magic.

You just have to be careful as you have to slide in both the sim and the rebel sim and the rebel sims are very delicate.

I am sure there will be loads of people posting soon saying that this works.

Hope that is ok

Guest griff_dai

Dude what can I say!

I take it you have a pay as you go O2 UK Dell Streak?

Also, do you need to just buy the rebel 2 sim card, or do you need to also buy the sim cutter and something to flash the the card??

Can you confirm you have no problems with SMS, MMS 2G/3G etc??

Anyone know why the HTC 1.1 Flash would work?

Just been on the website and it's not officially listed, therefore could you point us in the direction to which pack we should buy?

Finally, would Dell be able to do anything software wise to stop a rebel sim card from working, or once it's used is that it? I know someone in work who is using one in a HTC Hero and he has a spare :-)

Dai

Edited by griff_dai

Guest pmprichard
Dude what can I say!

I take it you have a pay as you go O2 UK Dell Streak?

Also, do you need to just buy the rebel 2 sim card, or do you need to also buy the sim cutter and something to flash the the card??

Can you confirm you have no problems with SMS, MMS 2G/3G etc??

Anyone know why the HTC 1.1 Flash would work?

Just been on the website and it's not officially listed, therefore could you point us in the direction to which pack we should buy?

Finally, would Dell be able to do anything software wise to stop a rebel sim card from working, or once it's used is that it? I know someone in work who is using one in a HTC Hero and he has a spare :-)

Dai

yes i have a dell a pay as you go streak.

you can easily cut the rebel sim with a pair of hole punchers for a4 paper.

3g works and seems to get selected as soon as i went into an area with 3g. MMS not sure.

The htc flash is on the rebel sim just to be sure. You are not flashing your phone.

I think you should buy the htc pack from the official rebel sim site found by googling rebel sim.

Good for you if your mate has an htc one already.

Worse case scenario you buy a programmer and put firmware 1.1 on the rebel sim.

It defo works. I am surprised at how easy it was

Not sure if they will block it in the future but i will unlock as soon as someone more knowledgable has had a crack at a proper unlock

Paul

Guest pmprichard
Could u please share with us where u buy the rebel sim with the reader for flashing firmware? Thanks a lot

I don't think you need to flash the firmware. Cannot promise anything but i think the HTC version found on

http_ ://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/

will work.

I flashed mine but it was an old one with old firmware and needed updating.

Good luck

Guest griff_dai
I don't think you need to flash the firmware. Cannot promise anything but i think the HTC version found on

http_ ://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/

will work.

I flashed mine but it was an old one with old firmware and needed updating.

Good luck

I had an email back from the Rebel sim team today that says:

Hi

Dave

yes we will after we test or get a video

if you can make the video and test and send back to us w can refund your order

the one to use is the htc sim for now

thanks

Solutions Point Limited

Evans Business Centre

Unit 11, Dane St

Rochdale

Lancashire

OL12 6XB

United Kingdom.

I think this is the way to go for me to stay with Orange unless my contact get's me that code ;-)

dai

Guest griff_dai
I had an email back from the Rebel sim team today that says:

Hi

Dave

yes we will after we test or get a video

if you can make the video and test and send back to us w can refund your order

the one to use is the htc sim for now

thanks

Solutions Point Limited

Evans Business Centre

Unit 11, Dane St

Rochdale

Lancashire

OL12 6XB

United Kingdom.

I think this is the way to go for me to stay with Orange unless my contact get's me that code ;-)

Further to this, I asked them what pack we should buy and the have replied with this (link included):

http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=172&Itemid=1

any sim in this section

Solutions Point Limited

Evans Business Centre

Unit 11, Dane St

Rochdale

Lancashire

OL12 6XB

United Kingdom.

Tel 0844 484 4331

Tel Int 00 44 170 650 8124

email [email protected]

Web www.solutions-point.co.uk

email [email protected]

Web www.rebelsimcard.com

dai

Guest fantasytozi

Just want to make sure, if we cut our sim to use with rebel sim, is the sim can be use in unlocked phones/our old phones again? Or is it useless when being cut?

Guest rovex
Just want to make sure, if we cut our sim to use with rebel sim, is the sim can be use in unlocked phones/our old phones again? Or is it useless when being cut?

Its fine in other devices afterwards. The cutter make a small round hole, like a paper hole punch, in the end of the SIM. Its harmless enough.

Guest griff_dai
Its fine in other devices afterwards. The cutter make a small round hole, like a paper hole punch, in the end of the SIM. Its harmless enough.

Has anyone else used the rebel sim card route?

Dai

Guest SgtDavePwnage
Has anyone else used the rebel sim card route?

Dai

Yes I got a rebel sim and it works brilliantly

They have now put a video up of me showing it working

Guest pmprichard
Yes I got a rebel sim and it works brilliantly

They have now put a video up of me showing it working

I was the initial post on this forum saying it worked on orange. Unfortunately i have to keep inserted the sim into an unlocked phone and then back in my dell streak.

I think it is something to do with orange changing some key every so oftern or something.

Does anybody else using the rebel sim have this problem. Has anybody tried other firmware or different networks.