User Experiences

Guest tudorw

Guest tudorw

Great comment from steve642 @ zdnet which agree's with what I have experienced over a couple of days too, battery life is great, a full day of reasonably obsessive use and its at least still alive to take calls at the end of the day.

I did manage to kill mine on day 1, I tried installing a bunch of apps that were supposed to hook into the browser to play mp3 files, none of them worked and in the end the device was actually dead, battery and sim and sd out, reboot, nothing but a flashing cursor, I did a factory reset, data on sd card was preserved and obviously contacts/email/etc resynced so not too painfull. I have not had any issues since so I am putting it down to a bad app, I wish I could single out which one but I must have peeked at about 120 app/hour at some point...

He's on an unlocked streak, steve642 @ http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer...htc-evo-4g/3357

"

I have been using the Streak over the weekend. It does fit in my trouser pocket and in my shirt pocket and in my wife's little purse. Thanks to it being incredibly thin, it doesn't feel that big in the trouser pocket - though it makes the shirt pocket sag a little. In Houston, I swapped in a T-Mobile SIM card - it quickly jumped onto the T-Mobile network. I see the H instead of the 3G and download speeds were about 1Mbps. I guess this is T-Mobile's new 3.5G HSPA network. Google maps and google navigate were a pleasure on the large screen. You need two average sized hands to dial a phone number. Not easy while driving a car (yeah, I know my mom told me not to do that....). Voice recognition was decent for an Android 1.6 device. In online reviews, people complain that it is akin to holding a waffle to your ear, etc. but my office desk phone receiver is bigger. Thanks to the size the microphone is located right where your mouth is and I expect my voice to carry over louder drowning the background noise. Don't see a second noise canceling microphone. The device came with corded 3.5 mm ear phones and it rapidly synched with my car bluetooth hands free. Speaker phone quality is also good. Battery life has been decent....lasts me over a day with about an hour of browsing and a couple of hours of speaking on the phone. Battery life can be significantly extended by using 2 great free android Aps: Advanced Task Killer and Apndroid. Apndroid allows a one touch switch (widget on the home screen) to turn on or off the internet. And it does it within a reasonable couple of seconds. This way I use the blazingly fast internet and fantastic screen only when I need it. Advanced task killer kills battery draining aps that I don't need all the time. On the whole I am glad I got this phone/mini tablet. Unfortunately Documents to Go ap does not work in edit mode on this yet. I hope they support it in the near future. Dell installed the k9 email as the default email. It does pull up attachments. Quickoffice comes with this device for Word/Excel/pdf reading but no editing.

"

Guest lpaddikt

You were able to get T-Mobile 3G with it?

Update: Sorry, I just saw that it was someone else comment.

Edited by lpaddikt

Guest tudorw

it's a good point, it's not clear to me whether the carphone warehouse model's are locked to o2 or not, I have seen conflicting reports, I tried an Orange SIM in mine and it asked for an unlock key, no surprise there though as I have it on contract...

Guest snpg

Well I've had mine for a few days now and I do like it. It does sometimes feel quite big, although it is nice and slim. I keep mine the the CPW Folio Case to keep it pristine.

I charged mine overnight on Friday and have not used the phone a great deal and I didn't need to charge it again till last night. However, when I made phone call a few minutes ago the battery dropped to 48% which is a lot in such a short time.

I am also experiencing 'No Service' issues. The phone will be fine and then suddently lose service. I am in a strong O2 area and I have not experienced this issue before. I thought it may be down to Advanced Task Killer but that is set to Autokill every 30 minutes and it can do it a few times. The service will come back and then go again. I am worried it is a problem with the phone. Anyone got any ideas of what it could be. I have checked the sim and it is clean and fitted tightly in the sim slot. Could it be another app interfering?