Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest snear
Regarding the A2SD partition. Even if ext3 support is present in the kernel (my Desire has it), the backup still fails because recovery tries to mount A2SD partition as EXT4. I made a quick hack to enable A2SD backup and it seems to be working on my Desire.

this works great thanks! please add to the rom manager? :)

Guest bbawden

OK, this is an odd bug.

When I connect my phone to the PC, it mounts the SD card. Now I've got "charge only" as the default, and in the notifications area it still says charge only. But the autoplay pops up on my PC, and the sdcard isn't available from the phone, so it's definitely mounting it.

To get it back, I have to select mount disk drive, then switch it back to charge only.

I'm pretty sure this has only happened since applying this update. Any ideas?

Guest samac92

The latest download has a different name to "update.zip"

Yet in the instructions in say it must remain named "update.zip", so do I have to rename it to "update.zip"

Guest Jannik Nielsen
The latest download has a different name to "update.zip"

Yet in the instructions in say it must remain named "update.zip", so do I have to rename it to "update.zip"

correct me if im wrong, if you use Rom Manager that is obsolete right?

Guest Jannik Nielsen
mine is exactly same.

i cant use ROM Managers backup or reboot to recovery either. i guess its still early beta for the desire and evo

Guest RoBy46

I Paul, I have this error:

20100610211012_IMG_2251.JPG

:) :)

I copy pasted the files in the root of sd card:

20100610211431_Nuovaimmagine.jpg

Why not work?

Sorry for my eng.

P:S i have rom r3.1 in my desire.

Guest ph0rce
i cant use ROM Managers backup or reboot to recovery either. i guess its still early beta for the desire and evo

Anyone who can't use ROM Manager to backup or reboot, try the following link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=699100

To make it work for the Desire you just need to replace mtdblock4 with mtdblock3, it worked perfectly for me.

Guest ph0rce
I Paul, I have this error:

:) :)

I copy pasted the files in the root of sd card:

Why not work?

Sorry for my eng.

P:S i have rom r3.1 in my desire.

You can either download ROM Manager from the Market & use that or you need to rename the file you've downloaded to 'update.zip' & try again.

Guest The Asgard
just turn off your phone, and press back+power select "recovery" and the magic will happen.....

Actually thats not right.

Its Power on plus volume down for recovery.

Works a treat, thanks.

Guest RoBy46
You can either download ROM Manager from the Market & use that or you need to rename the file you've downloaded to 'update.zip' & try again.

Wow I use Astro file manager for rename file and now work perfectly

Thank you very much :)

Ciao from Italy...

Guest Loccy

Can you please, please, please change the fstab for the sd-ext partition from ext4 to ext3 on ROM Manager?

Had a play to try and get ROM Manager to use the hacked version of the recovery, but ended up in a recovery loop. I couldn't get my own hacked version to sign properly. For me the recovery is pretty useless at the moment without ext support, and it's so frustrating that I know that it's ONE SINGLE FRELLING CHARACTER that stops it from working! :)

Guest zaphod0

Does this method still leave you open to "USB Bricking" issue? In other words can it still cause problems with "/data/flash_image" and "/data/mtd0.img"?

Super stuff BTW! Got it set up on my phone this afternoon. Nice to have a persistent custom recovery image again! :)

Guest Koush
Can you please, please, please change the fstab for the sd-ext partition from ext4 to ext3 on ROM Manager?

Had a play to try and get ROM Manager to use the hacked version of the recovery, but ended up in a recovery loop. I couldn't get my own hacked version to sign properly. For me the recovery is pretty useless at the moment without ext support, and it's so frustrating that I know that it's ONE SINGLE FRELLING CHARACTER that stops it from working! :)

Yep, fix coming!

Guest sucramco

Went to bed late after trying to push the reboot update, with epic fail.

Wow, woke up this morning and updated Rom Manager twice. ReBoot to recovery, works perfect. Also there is 2 x Ahmgskmod roms for download.

I am going to wait for a new rom that suits me, but this is fantastic. Who knows what will be capable by the end of the day.

Well done Koush, where ever you are.

Guest fridlack
Yep, fix coming!

Great! please, tell us when RM got the fixed update.zip that makes sd-ext backup to download it

Thanks all for your work!

Guest dancedreamfly
Are there any mirrors for the fake-flash download? The link is dead.

Guys, just download ROM Manager from the Market. You can install Fake Flash from the app itself.

Guest nekromantik

quick question.

Untill the ext fix is ready, do all backups fail?

I just done a backup and had to move away from fone and it had rebooted so not sure if the backup worked or not.