Blackberry Connect for Nexus One?

Guest cezent

Guest cezent

A bit of a long stretch, but does anyone know if there is blackberry connect for N1? (or any other android for that matter)

HTC has the blackberry connect for their winMO phones, but they didnt reply my email about blackberry connect for Android.

Guest Ruttus

im waitin on this also but i dont think rim allows bbc on android, well not yet, we jus all have to wait till they do or some developer ports bbc or a app to use the service. ;)

Guest kaotix

How does it actually work though, surely it would just be a matter of creating an app that mimics bbc and sort of tricks them into thinking you're using a blackberry? much like a browser spoofs a user-agent to make a website think it's a different device/os.

i for one have never used bbc but i know a lot of people that do (or did since switching to android) and they swear by it.

Guest cezent
How does it actually work though, surely it would just be a matter of creating an app that mimics bbc and sort of tricks them into thinking you're using a blackberry? much like a browser spoofs a user-agent to make a website think it's a different device/os.

i for one have never used bbc but i know a lot of people that do (or did since switching to android) and they swear by it.

Blackberry emails are pushed through Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), which is a different platform compare to Exchange. a lot firms that have blackberry connections use that as the only means of email push service for security reasons. BES has an entirely closed circuit security protocol altogether. My understanding is that blackberry connect is an app that enable other platforms to establish connection to BES. Unless there is an app developed and authorized by RIM, there is no other means of connecting to BES.

In short, other mobile platforms (iOS, Android, WebOS, WinMo and etc) cannot get emails from BES unless RIM do something.

This is my finding so far, and I havent heard of any similar apps for android yet, that's why I m wondering if anyone else knows something out there.

I hate my blackberry, would get rid of it as soon as I find any solution.

Edited by cezent

Guest wastebag

Do you guys know why many Companies that use BES also have support for Exchange? Because I know somebody who works for a company that uses BES and all employees that want mobile e-mail access must use a Blackberry through the company. However they are also able to log in to their e-mail through a PC using an internet browser connecting to an Exchange Server. I have managed to setup Exchange for this person on their iPad. If companies want to use BES and all employees to use Blackberries for security reasons than why would they allow you to use exchange(since this basically allows you to use most smartphones, and PCs to check your e-mail)??

Guest browngeek

It would be great if RIM decided to licence out Blackberry Connect more, however I guess they want to keep it all "in house" and tied to the RIM phones.

I have to carry a Blackberry for work, but we also have webmail access through Outlook at work. On my Nexus I just put the webmail address as the Exchange server and my username and password, and I am able to get work email on my Nexus. I obviously miss out on BB Messenger though.

Guest cezent
Do you guys know why many Companies that use BES also have support for Exchange? Because I know somebody who works for a company that uses BES and all employees that want mobile e-mail access must use a Blackberry through the company. However they are also able to log in to their e-mail through a PC using an internet browser connecting to an Exchange Server. I have managed to setup Exchange for this person on their iPad. If companies want to use BES and all employees to use Blackberries for security reasons than why would they allow you to use exchange(since this basically allows you to use most smartphones, and PCs to check your e-mail)??

not sure why or if that's the case. Most companies I know(primarily financial services) have BES as the one and only mobile email solution, which is a big pain in the ass since blackberry are SOOOO dull, most people end up carrying two phones.

Edited by cezent

Guest agriff

BES is not a stand alone PIM or email system. It has to be connected to Exchange, Lotus Domino or Group Wise for you to do anything with it.

BES is just a system to encrypt what the phones receive from Exchange, etc. and manage users and data with policies. http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/full/ You need BES Plus one of the three.

As a former BB user I can tell you that if you use BES or BB Connect, first you MUST get the BES data plan from your carrier. Almost always an extra $15/month over the unlimited data rates, in the US. BES is $45/month on AT&T. It is impossible to receive BES data from BB without this plan.

Then, if you or your company don't have your own Exchange server, then, you need to pay an extra $5-$12/month to a Hosted Exchange service or run your own server.

All of which adds up to why I've been an extremely happy Android user for about 9 months now. Especially, when I was able to use the $15/month ATT unlimited data for dumbphones plan. They caught on to my N1 eventually, though.

Guest b0unce
BES is not a stand alone PIM or email system. It has to be connected to Exchange, Lotus Domino or Group Wise for you to do anything with it.

BES is just a system to encrypt what the phones receive from Exchange, etc. and manage users and data with policies. http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/full/ You need BES Plus one of the three.

As a former BB user I can tell you that if you use BES or BB Connect, first you MUST get the BES data plan from your carrier. Almost always an extra $15/month over the unlimited data rates, in the US. BES is $45/month on AT&T. It is impossible to receive BES data from BB without this plan.

Then, if you or your company don't have your own Exchange server, then, you need to pay an extra $5-$12/month to a Hosted Exchange service or run your own server.

All of which adds up to why I've been an extremely happy Android user for about 9 months now. Especially, when I was able to use the $15/month ATT unlimited data for dumbphones plan. They caught on to my N1 eventually, though.

100% what I was about to say ;) The BES needs to connect to another messaging system..

Guest Nanu*1

BES (BlackBerry Enterprise server) is what large corporations use and does cost a lot of money to set up and run.....

BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) on the other hand is what a single user would use, such as myself, I pay £7.90($11.76)/month for unlimited BIS, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited WiFi and 350 any time any network minutes

It actually costs me more to run the Nexus One and more still to run the iPhone, BlackBerry smart phones rock! :-)