Cannot update to 2.1!

Guest techdave

Guest techdave

I'm trying to update my GF's Hero via the OTA 2.1 update. It's an unlocked/unbranded device running a custom ROM and recovery image which I think is causing the update to fail. I get the following after it attempts to install the update after it's been downloaded:-

Verifying update package ..

E: No signature (218 files)

E: Verification failed

Installation Aborted.

Can someone advise what I need to do to get the recovery image or whatever back to stock to install the 2.1 update? TIA

Guest Unconn

Updating OTA while running a custom ROM is bad Juju.

If you still have a custom bootloader you should be able to save it. If you do not then it might be bricked. I am no expert though.

Guest techdave
Updating OTA while running a custom ROM is bad Juju.

If you still have a custom bootloader you should be able to save it. If you do not then it might be bricked. I am no expert though.

The phone reboots ok (thank god or the missus would kill me), am I likely to have more luck if I wait for the manual update from htc?

The phone reboots ok (thank god or the missus would kill me), am I likely to have more luck if I wait for the manual update from htc?

Or add some patience and wait for MCR 4.0 release? :-)

(I'm having a hard time doing exactly that.)

/TBX

I'm trying to update my GF's Hero via the OTA 2.1 update. It's an unlocked/unbranded device running a custom ROM and recovery image which I think is causing the update to fail. I get the following after it attempts to install the update after it's been downloaded:-

Verifying update package ..

E: No signature (218 files)

E: Verification failed

Installation Aborted.

Can someone advise what I need to do to get the recovery image or whatever back to stock to install the 2.1 update? TIA

Use the stock RUU for 1.5 to remove everything you have customised on the phone and it will be like when you bought it, then apply the OTA to it.

Guest techdave
Use the stock RUU for 1.5 to remove everything you have customised on the phone and it will be like when you bought it, then apply the OTA to it.

Ok' I'll give that a bash later when she's back from work. Don't suppose you've got a link for the stock 1.5 RUU? No worries if not :lol:

Guest Lordsmiff
Excellent, thanks :lol:

Does anyone know where I can find an original recovery image as well?

That's included in the HTC RUU - it will put everything back to stock...

Smiffy.

Guest LeonXYZ

I have the same problem here. I have an Orange Spain Hero which I have rooted so that I could use a custom ROM. The original ROM did not support my language which sucked. First, I couldnt flash the first part of the update (same verification error), then I tried the 1.5 RUU on different machines and always got "Connection Error 170". What could I do to get the update? And would I relock the device by applying the RUU or lose my language of choice?

Thanks!

Guest TeaSea

I may be wrong, but if you restore to 1.5 RUU and then apply the 2.1 update, won't that make you pretty much unable to flash custom roms?

I thought people were having an incredibly hard time rooting the 2.1 update once applied to a device?

Guest kendon
I may be wrong, but if you restore to 1.5 RUU and then apply the 2.1 update, won't that make you pretty much unable to flash custom roms?

I thought people were having an incredibly hard time rooting the 2.1 update once applied to a device?

i was just thinking the same. the op asks for help on installing a custom rom, you advise him to flash a ruu?

either it is me or you guys are really really mean, to say the least.

Guest TeaSea
i was just thinking the same. the op asks for help on installing a custom rom, you advise him to flash a ruu?

either it is me or you guys are really really mean, to say the least.

It's you man, he was asking how to get back to stock in order to flash the 2.1 RUU.

I just don't think he's aware of what that can mean... and neither is anyone else it seems...

Guest Unconn

I do not know if any of the guys with problems are still following this thread, but how to get back to stock was posted about, BUT if you are running a custom ROM and tried the OTA and the phone will not boot now but you want 2.1 rooted!, why don't we try this:

- You were already running a custom ROM so we can skip installing RA Recovery, right?

- Shut off your phone.

- Remove your mini SD memory card, put it into something else that can mount it (an SD adapter, or USB adapter)

- Copy one of the new rooted 2.1 images (may I suggest MCR 4?) on the root of the SD

- Pop it back in your phone and boot into recovery (again if you were running a custom 1.5 you know how to do this).

- Wipe everything (suggested)

- Flash your new ROM

That should get you booting into 2.1 and retain your root and custom recovery.

Did I miss something?