Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest zenkinz
They've kinda done that already, if you have a look around dbdata. There's other partitions that seem to be unmounted, gonna look into what they are for...

P

ok I saw that. but it's for db. maybe we can try with those core apps with huge cache/file in /data/data first, and i noticed its namely the com.android.providers/emails, imes and maybe the launcher.

now I am wondering, Galaxy S has 512MB RAM, 2G ROM and 16G internal storage.

I see that the 16G internal storage is mounted on /sdcard

and 2G ROM apparently has been partitition into multiple blocks and mounted as folders such as /system and /data ?

If so, what's rootfs (and the fs that mounts dbdata?) part of the 512MB RAM?

Edited by zenkinz

Guest Toreak

Check your /data/data first to see which apps are storing lots of data in the megabyte range. Here's how:

adb shell

su

cd /data/data

busybox du -h|busybox grep M

games like gameloft games do take a few Mbs and google earth took about 20Mb. Unless there are new workarounds, the easiest way right now is to uninstall those apps that u can do without that takes up megs of space in /data/data. Alternative is try to identify apps that cause the stall and create symbolic links for those apps' data to /dbdata

Guest KUNG_C

THANKS TO PAUL!

I've already done it, the phone is super fast now. But i also want to know, can the new apps install to /data/data again? instead of /dbdata/data

like to fuction App2SD

Edited by KUNG_C

Guest vitalijb
Check your /data/data first to see which apps are storing lots of data in the megabyte range. Here's how:

adb shell

su

cd /data/data

busybox du -h|busybox grep M

games like gameloft games do take a few Mbs and google earth took about 20Mb. Unless there are new workarounds, the easiest way right now is to uninstall those apps that u can do without that takes up megs of space in /data/data. Alternative is try to identify apps that cause the stall and create symbolic links for those apps' data to /dbdata

Actually there is workaround - I just did it :lol:

I just linked everything except biggest folders in /data/data to /dbdata/data, and biggest folders linked separately each one so they would be in /data/data.bak/.

full script is here:

su

cp -rp /data/data /data/data_to_copy/

cd /data/data_to_copy

rm -r com.navngo.igo.javaclient

rm -r com.google.earth

rm -r com.navigon.navigator

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter

rm -r com.google.android.youtube

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftHAWX.Hawx

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftNOHP

rm -r com.skyfire.browser

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftMCHP

rm -r com.sygic.drive

rm -r com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5

rm -r com.polarbit.rthunder2

cp -rp /data/data_to_copy /dbdata/data/

rm -r /data/data_to_copy

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.navngo.igo.javaclient /data/data/com.navngo.igo.javaclient

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.google.earth /data/data/com.google.earth

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.navigon.navigator /data/data/com.navigon.navigator

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftDUNQ.DungeonHunter

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.google.android.youtube /data/data/com.google.android.youtube

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftHAWX.Hawx /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftHAWX.Hawx

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftNOHP /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftNOHP

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.skyfire.browser /data/data/com.skyfire.browser

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftMCHP /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftMCHP

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.sygic.drive /data/data/com.sygic.drive

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5 /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.polarbit.rthunder2 /data/data/com.polarbit.rthunder2

reboot phone

Edited by vitalijb

Guest Ash_786

Weird goings on ..... being lightly using the phone for 1 hour and 50% battery gone ... something aint right. Not sure if any wiping was needed before reflashing, but Ive just flashed again !

Guest ragflan

Paul, you've had the Desire and now the Galaxy S, which device would you recommend for performance. I heard The Galaxy had better performance in terms both CPU usage and graphics in games. Besides the obvious advantage of a larger and better screen and ignoring touchwiz vs sense, which phone would yousay performs better? Thanks in advance Paul. I ask because I wanted to get Droid X but I heard that its for US only and I'm in Australia. So either desire or galaxy are the best options ...

Guest us1111

If you have a fast (>=class 6) sdcard, wouldn't it be an option to place the files there? I did not have time to root my phone, but you could use (i.e.) hdparm to check the speed of your external memory and then choose where to put the files..

Edited by us1111

Guest woutf
If you have a fast (>=class 6) sdcard, wouldn't it be an option to place the files there? I did not have time to root my phone, but you could use (i.e.) hdparm to check the speed of your external memory and then choose where to put the files..

Seems logical enough. Although accesstime is more important than speed in this case. Is there someone out there who could run some accestime tests on the internal sd versus s a class 6 card?

Guest Shibby_nl

I have read some different experiences from users, mysef included.

I can't notice any lags, it is my first android though. I don't have any experience to compare with.

Isn't it also possible that there are different types of internal sdmemory installed?

The fast one's were out of stock that batch?

So maybe a speedtest is needed with a standard program.

Does anyone know a suiteble app for this?

Guest ToetX2

The bad results are wondering me,

Samsung uses there own moviNAND chips for this phone, witch should be able to reatch a speed of 54MB/s

Foto of the NAND chip on the phone: http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/...assembly-14.jpg

Info from thad chip: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/sem...s_MoviNAND.html

Actualy those chips can be used for >=class6 SDcards....

Realy wired, but i hope it is a software problem....

Guest mbr01
The bad results are wondering me,

Samsung uses there own moviNAND chips for this phone, witch should be able to reatch a speed of 54MB/s

Foto of the NAND chip on the phone: http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/...assembly-14.jpg

Info from thad chip: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/sem...s_MoviNAND.html

Actualy those chips can be used for >=class6 SDcards....

Realy wired, but i hope it is a software problem....

(He, Toetx en WoutF van tweakers.net :lol:)

Did some tests, with rather weird results. Used the program from android market called J BenchMark 1.0. I compared the internal NAND flash to the sd-card that I put in (just a plane old regular 1GB card). Maybe some one can test on a different device. I'm not sure which part of the NAND it's testing as there are just options for internal or external sd. I tested 4 times each, differs about 10%.

Internal NAND

10MB, 2kb

write = 0.11 MB/s

read = 3.11 MB/s

10MB, 4kb

write = 0.22

read = 4.93

10MB, 8kb

write = 0.41

read = 7.34

SD-card

10MB, 2kb

write = 3.23 MB/s

read = 4.56 MB/s

10MB, 4kb

write = 7.81

read = 10.35

10MB, 8kb

write = 13.51

read = 20.0

Edited by mbr01

Guest Shibby_nl
(He, Toetx en WoutF van tweakers.net :lol:)

Did some tests, with rather weird results. Used the program from android market called J BenchMark 1.0. I compared the internal NAND flash to the sd-card that I put in (just a plane old regular 1GB card). Maybe some one can test on a different device. I'm not sure which part of the NAND it's testing as there are just options for internal or external sd. I tested 4 times each, differs about 10%.

Internal NAND

10MB, 2kb

write = 0.11 MB/s

read = 3.11 MB/s

10MB, 4kb

write = 0.22

read = 4.93

10MB, 8kb

write = 0.41

read = 7.34

SD-card

10MB, 2kb

write = 3.23 MB/s

read = 4.56 MB/s

10MB, 4kb

write = 7.81

read = 10.35

10MB, 8kb

write = 13.51

read = 20.0

The tests I did where not in tst mode so no cache clearing, only did them once for each buffersize

I have about the same results with a class 6 8gb sd-card, little bit slower actualy.

Internal Nand:

10MB, 2kb

write = 0.1 MB/s

read = 4 MB/s

10MB, 4kb

write = 0.18

read = 7.04

10MB, 8kb

write = 0.28

read = 13.51

Guest krotwijk
I'm not sure which part of the NAND it's testing as there are just options for internal or external sd

Looks like it's benchmarking the internal dram instead of nand.

PS Another tweakers.net user from Holland

Edited by krotwijk

Guest VarunRai

Hi! So I've rooted my SGS and got folder sizes of folders in /data/data.

Here's what it looks like :

1.5M /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps/files

1.5M /data/data/com.google.android.apps.maps

9.5M /data/data/com.sec.android.app.sns/files/ReceivedFiles

9.5M /data/data/com.sec.android.app.sns/files

9.5M /data/data/com.sec.android.app.sns

4.3M /data/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps/cache

4.3M /data/data/com.sec.android.app.samsungapps

1.9M /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/swypedata/Tutorial

2.9M /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/swypedata

3.0M /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod

0 /data/data/com.android.MtpApplication/lib

0 /data/data/com.android.MtpApplication

2.5M /data/data/com.sec.android.widgetapp.feedsandupdate/cache

2.5M /data/data/com.sec.android.widgetapp.feedsandupdate

6.3M /data/data/com.android.vending/cache

6.3M /data/data/com.android.vending

1.1M /data/data/com.google.android.youtube/cache

1.1M /data/data/com.google.android.youtube

1.8M /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5/lib

2.3M /data/data/com.gameloft.android.GAND.GloftAsphalt5.asphalt5

1.9M /data/data/com.glu.android.skob2_free/lib

82.8M /data/data/com.glu.android.skob2_free/app_save

85.8M /data/data/com.glu.android.skob2_free

121.6M /data/data

Could someone please explain what sns is and why it's taking so much space. Or maybe suggest something I could do to reduce the space. I understand that I haven't yet reached the 130 mb mark, but if I did make the mod as suggested in the first post, would'nt having a smaller size of /data/data be better?? Or does it not make any difference once I've made the move?

And Paul, thank you so much! This was a much needed mod!

EDIT : Just removed a silly game which had loaded resource files on my phone memory. Down to 39 MB now. Will update on phone speed after using it tomorrow. :lol: Also, it's time I got an SD card.

EDIT 2 : Paul, small question. If we continue adding apps, what happens to the data that they store? Does it get saved in phone memory or NAND?

Edited by VarunRai

Guest jUsT2eXy

hey guys.. i followed this method but I get a 'low on space - database storage is getting low- warning" ...nks

what do I do now?

I guess the reason this happened is because I don't know how to find out how much space data or dbdata uses... how do I find out?

thanks

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest jhansen
Try at your own risk... if things go wrong you'll need to wipe your device. I have done this and it seems to have eradicated the 'stalling' i've seen on the device...

Nice discovery! this made a world of difference, now the device is usable :lol:

Samsung must have messed something up badly.

Guest Arnon
hey guys.. i followed this method but I get a 'low on space - database storage is getting low- warning" ...nks

what do I do now?

I guess the reason this happened is because I don't know how to find out how much space data or dbdata uses... how do I find out?

thanks

You need to either reverse the operation (reuse the /data/data.bak)

or do a selective linking to some of the bigger files to the sdcard

both methods have been discussed in this thread

Arnon

Guest jUsT2eXy

I uninstalled Asphalt and Google Earth... so that saved 70MB... but I want those two apps back... but I also want to stop the 'black' screen issue....

what is my best option in order to keep both?

Guest Kilack

Hi,

I have just got one of these and probably wouldn't have if I had read about the lag issues etc before hand.

Is it looking like it is a hardware issue and they just used poor internal storage?

in which case there isn't much that can be done apart from little workarounds to try and ease it a little...

Or is it a firmware issue?

Some are suggesting its a memory leak in touchwiz....

Has anyone heard if Samsung have said anything about these issues?