22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rayman121985

If I download a custom rom from here will it get rid of my touch wiz ui? I am on the at&t captivate vesion of the Galaxy S...I just want to get rid of all this bloatware! THANKS!

Guest Andrew Luecke
If I download a custom rom from here will it get rid of my touch wiz ui? I am on the at&t captivate vesion of the Galaxy S...I just want to get rid of all this bloatware! THANKS!

Firstly, some people with US branded Galaxy S's have reported issues using custom firmware designed for the international phones, so you might want to do some research first.

Secondly, no rom replaces touchwiz yet, although, you already can, by installing launcher pro or something similar.

Finally, if you have branded crap on your desktop you can't remove (custom apps by AT&T), yes, roms don't include that rubbish.

Guest rayman121985

Thanks Andrew...

I wanted to install a custom ROM to get rid of that bloatware but didn't want to lose my touch wiz just yet.

Guest DistortedLoop
Finally, if you have branded crap on your desktop you can't remove (custom apps by AT&T), yes, roms don't include that rubbish.

Thanks Andrew...

I wanted to install a custom ROM to get rid of that bloatware but didn't want to lose my touch wiz just yet.

If you root the phone, you can use Root Explorer, or even adb shell to just go in and delete/nuke or uninstall the apps. There's another thread on here where we talked about it. I would rename or copy files for safekeeping until you're sure deleting them from the command line doesn't cause other issues with the phone. Most of the bloatware, it shouldn't be an issue.

Guest Andrew Luecke
Most of the bloatware, it shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed, alot of it seems to be customised browser windows with an address embedded

Guest zedeff

I tried R2 and r3 with JG1 and JG5 respectively. However I get FC on TW and phone is not usable at at all. I keep having to go back to Odin and reflash stock firmware. I did a wipe each time. Do I need to run the ADB root before Custom ROM? Someone please help as Im waiting to give up my Desire once this is smooth.

Edited by zedeff

Guest Matchstick
I tried R2 and r3 with JG1 and JG5 respectively. However I get FC on TW and phone is not usable at at all. I keep having to go back to Odin and reflash stock firmware. I did a wipe each time. Do I need to run the ADB root before Custom ROM? Someone please help as Im waiting to give up my Desire once this is smooth.

Did you apply all 3 bits of the JG1/5 firmware via odin ?

Also just to confirm you do have a Galaxy S i9000 and not the Captivate or Vibrant varients ?

Guest DistortedLoop

I haven't tried R3, but in my opinion R2 was completely unusable within a matter of minutes after booting UNLESS you ran the lag fix (I recommend mimocan's if you can). Probably smart to run the Market Fix while you're at it.

Did you run those?

Guest zedeff
Did you apply all 3 bits of the JG1/5 firmware via odin ?

Also just to confirm you do have a Galaxy S i9000 and not the Captivate or Vibrant varients ?

Yes all three Code, Csc and Modem. Also I have the i9000 asain version. Im in India.

Guest Blackfish

Can you add a MoDaCo Script to remove WaveSecure? I always need to use a root explorer and delete the apk in system/apps...

Guest kanzlr
Can you add a MoDaCo Script to remove WaveSecure? I always need to use a root explorer and delete the apk in system/apps...

become a supporter of this site and you can customize the rom in the online kitchen.

but something completely different: Can anyone confirm that the "Aurora" live-wallpaper is broken? The animations are now pixelated black instead of white/transparent...looks like crap :(

thanks!

Guest Matchstick
Yes all three Code, Csc and Modem. Also I have the i9000 asain version. Im in India.

Hmmm, do you have the same problem with JG5 on it's own without MCR r3 ?

Apart from that I know you are supposed to use the 512 .pit file with JG5 but I think that would stop the phone booting rather than making apps FC, so I'm guessing you're using that already.

Have you tried repartitioning when installing the ROM with Odin ? (it will wipe all data an apps on the phone though)

Guest zedeff
Hmmm, do you have the same problem with JG5 on it's own without MCR r3 ?

Apart from that I know you are supposed to use the 512 .pit file with JG5 but I think that would stop the phone booting rather than making apps FC, so I'm guessing you're using that already.

Have you tried repartitioning when installing the ROM with Odin ? (it will wipe all data an apps on the phone though)

Yup Tried it all. Repartition every time. Wipe always in recovery. Still no luck. I flashed more than 15 ROMs on desire. Even on this the official ROMs work fine ( JG1, JG5 and now JM2). Just the MCR ROMS don't work.

Guest miker71

Just wanted to say that I've just flashed to a custom r3/JG5 bake from the online kitchen and - aside from the known su popup bug - I'm quite impressed at just how much difference the LagFix script makes - seriously worth it. I have a little less buyer's remorse with this phone now - and beebplayer :-)

Hoping in the future things can be made even more idiot proof by using OTA feature of ROM Manager.

Guest miker71
Sometimes it's just a matter of trial and error guys. I've found a fix for the SU popup problem. Now it's working flawless.

How?

Just root again!

Use this zipfile and update your phone, it doesn't matter if you've installed all your apps and data because it's a non intrusive method.

Thanks! I can confirm this fixed the issue for me also. (r3)

Guest SBVerlee
Just wanted to say that I've just flashed to a custom r3/JG5 bake from the online kitchen and - aside from the known su popup bug - I'm quite impressed at just how much difference the LagFix script makes - seriously worth it. I have a little less buyer's remorse with this phone now - and beebplayer :-)

Hoping in the future things can be made even more idiot proof by using OTA feature of ROM Manager.

I have found a fix for this popup problem 3 days ago, just read the topic...

Guest rayman121985

Hey gang,

Does these bakes work on ATT Captivate versions or it is only for i9000 galaxy s models?

THANKS!

And Paul do you think in future releases you can make something in the rom to install unknown sources again? ATT removed it! There is work arounds but its kind of a pain...maybe not but just a thought mate! THANKS again yall!

Guest fredphoesh

Hello guys,

EDITED so maybe someone else will be helped downgrading from froyo to eclair.

I was trying to go back to JG5 R3 from JP2 Froyo and could not do it.

What worked was to

1/ use ODIN to reflash the contents of JG5 (as found on the first post of this thread)

2/ Cook a rom in the kitchen here, rename it update.zip and copy it to the internal sdcard

3/ reboot and vol up power home to go to menu, and flash update.zip

so basically I had to flash to JG5 again first, THEN flash to Paul's r3.

Cheers,

Mark.

BTW

Previously, trying to flash r3 without first using Odin to flash JG5, I had got an error message, something like:

"unmount (/data) attempt 1 (Unknown error: 0)ensure _root_path_unmounted++" etc...

Edited by fredphoesh

Guest MAMBO04

Try unmounting your internal SD and formatting it, see what happens.

JP3 out now, damn Samsung is really pushing these out! Would be cool to see a FroYo ROM Paul :(