22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest fredphoesh
Try unmounting your internal SD and formatting it, see what happens.

JP3 out now, damn Samsung is really pushing these out! Would be cool to see a FroYo ROM Paul :(

Hi there and thanks,

I used ODIN to reflash JG5 then used recovery to flash to pauls r3...

And yeah, dang, I tried JP2 but was too problematic for me, so I guess I will stay on Eclair for at least 5 more minutes ;-)

Cheers,

Mark.

Guest ragflan

Hey guys. I just got my Galaxy S today. I've been using Desire upto now and I've been reading a lot on SGS and its overwhelming. If someone could kindly answer these questions for me, I'd really appreciate the help.

1. I am in Australia. I bought a phone which was shipped from Singapore (and it's got Singtel carrier apps on it). I'm guessing its unlocked since I use '3' in Australia and my sim works fine. Am I wrong about my phone being unlocked?

2. The desire custom rom was straightforward. With Samsung, there's the firmware thing. When I press *#1234#, I see PDA: I9000DXJF4, PHONE: I9000DXJF4 and CSC: I9000OLBJF4. Can I use ODIN to flash JG5 which is required for R3? Will that be a problem to flash over my existing firmware?

3. Do I need to root before flashing the firmware? I understand how to root. That process was very clear.

4. Finally, should I wait for the next update from Paul as he said the next ROM won't need ODIN process anymore.

The reason I want to put the custom ROM is because Singtel has like 7 carrier things (mostly URLs and some apps) that I don't want installed in my phone. And 2, the phone is really slow. I had R6 on my Desire (with 2.2) and that was blazing. I understand that SGS is still 2.1 but I don't remember Desire being this slow on 2.1.

When I click on dialer it literally takes 7-10 seconds for dialer to show. Same goes for most apps. This is the stalling issue which is all over the forum. I'd really appreciate any help.

Edited by ragflan

Guest kennyboy
Hey guys. I just got my Galaxy S today. I've been using Desire upto now and I've been reading a lot on SGS and its overwhelming. If someone could kindly answer these questions for me, I'd really appreciate the help.

1. I am in Australia. I bought a phone which was shipped from Singapore (and it's got Singtel carrier apps on it). I'm guessing its unlocked since I use '3' in Australia and my sim works fine. Am I wrong about my phone being unlocked?

2. The desire custom rom was straightforward. With Samsung, there's the firmware thing. When I press *#1234#, I see PDA: I9000DXJF4, PHONE: I9000DXJF4 and CSC: I9000OLBJF4. Can I use ODIN to flash JG5 which is required for R3? Will that be a problem to flash over my existing firmware?

3. Do I need to root before flashing the firmware? I understand how to root. That process was very clear.

4. Finally, should I wait for the next update from Paul as he said the next ROM won't need ODIN process anymore.

The reason I want to put the custom ROM is because Singtel has like 7 carrier things (mostly URLs and some apps) that I don't want installed in my phone. And 2, the phone is really slow. I had R6 on my Desire (with 2.2) and that was blazing. I understand that SGS is still 2.1 but I don't remember Desire being this slow on 2.1.

When I click on dialer it literally takes 7-10 seconds for dialer to show. Same goes for most apps. This is the stalling issue which is all over the forum. I'd really appreciate any help.

1. Yes, it's unlocked. Singapore phones are required by law to be unlocked.

2. Yes, you use ODIN to flash JG5, then use the update.zip method to flash R3.

3. No, root is not needed for flash either JG5 or R3. In fact, R3 give you root access.

4. No point waiting. It's a simple process anyway. And yes, going from Singtel firmware to JG5 (even better JM2) makes a hell of a difference.

Guest ragflan
1. Yes, it's unlocked. Singapore phones are required by law to be unlocked.

2. Yes, you use ODIN to flash JG5, then use the update.zip method to flash R3.

3. No, root is not needed for flash either JG5 or R3. In fact, R3 give you root access.

4. No point waiting. It's a simple process anyway. And yes, going from Singtel firmware to JG5 (even better JM2) makes a hell of a difference.

Thanks man! I was reading the XDA post (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723596) and got most of my answers. You answered the remaining ones.

Last question. In #2, you said use the update.zip method to flash R3 (I'll just bake and rename the baked file to update.zip). This will automatically root my phone as well right? Or do I need to be pre-rooted before applying R3?

Guest ragflan

Please help, I am flashing the firmware JG5 on my Galaxy S using ODIN and it's stuck at factoryfs.rfs.. What should I do now? Please help

Guest Low Keng Siang
Please help, I am flashing the firmware JG5 on my Galaxy S using ODIN and it's stuck at factoryfs.rfs.. What should I do now? Please help

try disconnect your cable, "redo" odin, pull out battery go to download mode, then connect back cable. it will solve your problem.

Guest kennyboy
Thanks man! I was reading the XDA post (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723596) and got most of my answers. You answered the remaining ones.

Last question. In #2, you said use the update.zip method to flash R3 (I'll just bake and rename the baked file to update.zip). This will automatically root my phone as well right? Or do I need to be pre-rooted before applying R3?

I'm guessing you did not read my answer to #3 carefully?

Guest DistortedLoop
Hey gang,

Does these bakes work on ATT Captivate versions or it is only for i9000 galaxy s models?

THANKS!

And Paul do you think in future releases you can make something in the rom to install unknown sources again? ATT removed it! There is work arounds but its kind of a pain...maybe not but just a thought mate! THANKS again yall!

There's a sticky about this question right at the top of this forum in the same sections as this thread. I've read mixed reports around the net with trying to do this.

Guest masi0

Paul, as I moved from HTC Desire to Galaxy and I used your roms (they great) I am wondering if you could add stock launcher/lock screen for your rom?

Also - does your rom includes the stalling fix builtin?

Thx

Guest Quiksilver78
Paul, as I moved from HTC Desire to Galaxy and I used your roms (they great) I am wondering if you could add stock launcher/lock screen for your rom?

Also - does your rom includes the stalling fix builtin?

Thx

Yes it does. I believe all you have to do is go to the MCR Scripts icon and then run the Stall Fix script.

Now my question is: Even though the first post here says to use JG5. Can we use JM2 to apply r3? and are there any advantages for using Paul's fix over the Mimocan's? which one is better?

Guest ragflan
I'm guessing you did not read my answer to #3 carefully?

Sorry man... Haha. I just read again and I saw it. Sorry sorry. Haha. All is well with my SGS now. Successfully flashed JG5 and R3. Waiting for updates from Paul. Only problem now is Titanium. Every time an app installs, Super User comes up and asks me if I want to grant permission. Dont know if thats Titanium's bad or Super User app's bad. I'm reading through the forum now. Sorry again for skimming through your answer.

Guest Seraji
Sorry man... Haha. I just read again and I saw it. Sorry sorry. Haha. All is well with my SGS now. Successfully flashed JG5 and R3. Waiting for updates from Paul. Only problem now is Titanium. Every time an app installs, Super User comes up and asks me if I want to grant permission. Dont know if thats Titanium's bad or Super User app's bad. I'm reading through the forum now. Sorry again for skimming through your answer.

if I recall correctly then it is r3's superuser that doesn't work properly. Grab the root zip from a few pages back and update the phone using it. It wont remove or overwrite your data.

Guest Grasfer

Hi, can i skip rooting it or something? Don't really need it and it's anoying ih ave to allow programs all the time :D

Some programs (Blizzard Authenticator) works sometimes with root access :D

Like all the other stuff with Madaco thou :)

Edited by Grasfer

Guest ALouie

I have unchecked titanium backup when i baked my rom, but it's still installed. I have baked 3x already and the problem is still there. Is there a way to manually remove titanium backup the easy way on a mac? thanks.

Guest ragflan
if I recall correctly then it is r3's superuser that doesn't work properly. Grab the root zip from a few pages back and update the phone using it. It wont remove or overwrite your data.

This is just a simple thing in Superuser settings. I quote the comment from another thread:

If it's what I think it is it's a really simple fix - open up the superuser application, go to preferences and change the notification option to toast, by default no option is selected which makes it bug out and spam notifications.

Selecting 'Toast' in the Notification Preferences solved this for me.

Guest ragflan
I have unchecked titanium backup when i baked my rom, but it's still installed. I have baked 3x already and the problem is still there. Is there a way to manually remove titanium backup the easy way on a mac? thanks.

Did you ever bake a ROM with Titanium selected and flash it? If you did and you didn't wipe between flashing ROMs, it's probably installed somewhere (esp if you have A2SD installed).

Guest ragflan
Yes it does. I believe all you have to do is go to the MCR Scripts icon and then run the Stall Fix script.

Now my question is: Even though the first post here says to use JG5. Can we use JM2 to apply r3? and are there any advantages for using Paul's fix over the Mimocan's? which one is better?

You can try it but Paul warned against using r3 with anything other than JG5. See the first post of this thread. I haven't tried Mimocan's fix yet but people that did are reporting Quadrant benchmark scores of around 1500+ on 2.1. I get around 900 on R3 and JG5. But again, I read that some people were having problems with the mimocan fix, maybe they didn't follow instructions or something else, but Paul's fix did not give me any troubles. I would love to try mimocan's fix but once everything settles down. I think Paul will be engrossed with the Desire ROMs for now since they are official but hope he gets back to SGS soon - it's the device of his choice according to his Twitter.

Guest Russ-ST24

Hi Paul

Any news on JM2? Would love to use your Rom rather than going native.

Using JP3 but can't live with it.

Returning to 2.1 for now.

Thanks

Russ

Guest masi0
Hi Paul

Any news on JM2? Would love to use your Rom rather than going native.

Using JP3 but can't live with it.

Returning to 2.1 for now.

Thanks

Russ

JM2 eats battery as hell :)

Guest Russ-ST24
JM2 eats battery as hell :)

Is that the general opinion?

Had jg1 and it was fine. Went to jg5 with r3 and GPS was a wreck and Bluetooth audio was not good either.

Don't want to go backwards but might have to.

What's the current best 2.1 rom?

Thanks

Russ

Guest gzero

I just installed R3 as followed:

Install stock JG5 -> factory reset -> cleared cache -> installed modaco rom r3 -> run MCR scripts

All seems to work nicely but I'm getting superuser pop-ups all the time. It seems like superuser does not recognize its setting (yes i selected to remember).

Anyone know how to fix this?