30/Jun r1 (4399) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Dell Streak (Android 1.6) with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Dell Streak! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :D

This ROM is the 'starting point' for my Dell Streak custom ROMs.

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM on your device, you must have a custom recovery image installed. You can read more about how to use a CRI on your device in this topic.

Features Included
  • Based on the 4399 release
  • Rooted with Superuser 2.1 by ChainsDD
  • Built with the MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM
  • Rooted boot image with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK
  • busybox with Droid Explorer support
  • terminfo and settings in boot.img to allow nano etc. use
  • Updated Google Maps
  • MCR version displayed in 'About' screen
  • Optional baked in Wavesecure via the online kitchen (installed to system partition for maximum security)
  • Odexed to remove key dex files from the internal for performance reasons.

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:
    • Ensure you have a custom recovery image installed (see 'requirements' above)
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
    • Restart your device in recovery mode by powering on with volume up + volume down pressed, and selecting the 'update pkg' option
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card
    • Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

This ROM is available in the kitchen below, or as a prebake.

r1 (default options) - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: 5ab2a0138645c47104f5789ca1b775b3

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :lol:

P

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest vinokirk

SWEEEEET!

When can we expect Froyo?

How come premium registration is not cheaper for Android users seeing as all those freebies are for WinMo users?

Edited by vinokirk

Guest vinokirk
Does the custom rom include unlocking from O2?

I want to use my own SIM...

No, that is something totally seperate.

@Paul- Does this still have the Dell 'overlay'? Does it wipe all setting and installed apps etc (hard reset)

Guest Dogmann55

Hi Paul,

Great news indeed and this is a great start as it allows me to easily remove some of the things i don't want from the Rom can't wait to see what else follows and like others it's time i got round to upgrading to a premium member account any way as have been meaning to do it for ages thanks again for all your hard work on this and the other things you bring us.

Marc

This is very exciting

Thanks paul!

I am very new to this however and wana take it slow :lol:

One thing i am not clear on is which version of android this is based on... told you i was new :D

Is it 2.1?

Thanks

also is there a rom for us non premium users to download?

if not of course i will signup for that!

Ta

h9k

Guest courtlandre
This is very exciting

Thanks paul!

I am very new to this however and wana take it slow :lol:

One thing i am not clear on is which version of android this is based on... told you i was new :D

Is it 2.1?

Thanks

also is there a rom for us non premium users to download?

if not of course i will signup for that!

Ta

h9k

It's based on a "leaked" rom from dell and is 1.6. You can download the stock rom up in one of the stickies to get the basic stock rom. Otherwise, you will need to wait for some people to post roms they have baked up.

Guest chopper70

Nice one. Just cooked my first rom, one without all the guff that comes with stock (mp3 store, facecock, twatter etc). Well worth the subs fee and I am mighty chuffed, Roll on FroYo.

Thanks to all who have contributed to root, roms etc, nice work everyone :lol:

Guest Spinstorm

Thanks for the custom ROM Paul. It's awesome!

Do you have plans for a Froyo update bringing flash!? That would be so awesome on the streak's screen!

Guest popetodd

In the words of Nathan Explosion:

"Aaaawwwww... that's awesome... that's... that's just f****** brutal man!"

You freakin rock!

Time to upgrade my account to help pay for this fine bit of work.

You know what would also rock?

The ability to upload our own splash screens into the kitchen for that custom startup love.

That would be brutal.

Edited by popetodd

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

May be a silly question but i have created a Rom and then transferred to the my SD card and then followed the instructions and done the Nandroid back up and everything is fine how ever when i then choose to apply an update zip it returns it can't find it message. Do i need to rename it to updatepackage.zip? as opposed to long name it currently has?

Marc

Guest popetodd
Hi all,

May be a silly question but i have created a Rom and then transferred to the my SD card and then followed the instructions and done the Nandroid back up and everything is fine how ever when i then choose to apply an update zip it returns it can't find it message. Do i need to rename it to updatepackage.zip? as opposed to long name it currently has?

Marc

Try naming it Update.zip, it has to have a capitalized U.

Guest Dogmann55

Hi Andy and popetodd,

Many thanks for your fast answers thought that may of been my issue but thought better to check first before doing something and mucking it up will do it now thanks again for your help.

Marc

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

OK well that hasn't worked yet i have renamed it to Update.zip and the message i am getting is

Install from sdcard...

E:can't find MSC:

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

E: Can't open/sdcard/update.zip

(No such files or directory)

Installation aborted

E:Can't find MISC:

The only other thing i can think of is that i use Winrar for compressing files do i need to change this to Win.Zip?

Marc

Guest Magxs

I'm having problems with the custom ROM. It boots up to the locked home screen. But when I unlock it, I get the message that the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. The home screen in blank and unresponsive. The menu works though. I have tried with two different custom ROMs.

Restoring the 3883 or 4399 stock build works and is fine, so I have a useable Streak. Just can't use the custom ROM. Any ideas?

Many thanks

magxs

Edited by Magxs

Guest Magxs
Hi all,

OK well that hasn't worked yet i have renamed it to Update.zip and the message i am getting is

Install from sdcard...

E:can't find MSC:

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

E: Can't open/sdcard/update.zip

(No such files or directory)

Installation aborted

E:Can't find MISC:

The only other thing i can think of is that i use Winrar for compressing files do i need to change this to Win.Zip?

Marc

Why do you compress files? I just use zip files as I download them.

The way I understand it is that you can either rename it to update.zip and then launch it from the recovery image with one click or you go to the menu item saying something like "Install zip" or similar and then "select file from sd card". Don't have the exact wording now, but something to that extend. That let's you choose any zip file, no matter the name.

Guest Dogmann55

Hi Magxs

Sorry i most probably worded that badly i don't compress files what i meant is that when i download files the program that i use is WinRar, so that's how all my downloaded files are stored anyway i changed it to zip format and am still getting the same message. I have no idea why when everything else works and the SD card is definitely being seen by the Streak it just won't update yet. I'm really at a loss as what to try next.

UPDATED INFO:

OK i fixed it and it's installing now as i was staring at the screen trying to work out was going wrong i realised that it was searching E: whilst my SD card is actually D: so thanks to Magxs extra instructions i choose to search and install it from the SD card instead and thankfully that has now worked. Although I'm also in shock as just hadn't realised or appreciated that my set up would all still be there as it was before applying the new Rom so no repeat installs or setting anything up needed just my nice new Rom minus the things i didn't want and Wavesecure added simply brilliant.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest Magxs

But why do you change it to the zip format? Aren't the files already in zip format? At least the custom ROMs from the kitchen or the stock ROMs are you can download from here. So you shouldn't need to convert them to zip or do anything with them other than copy them to the sd card.

Perhaps I am missing something here. I can't get the custom ROMs to work for me, but I got it installed. And the process works for me with the stock ROMs. I am new to Android, so I am not really sure what I am doing. Hopefully one the experts has a comment.