Can I refuse an OTA update?

Guest zkw

Hi,

Would someone be kind enough help me with a newbie question? If a new OTA firmware update appeared in five minutes' time and my new HTC Desire had connectivity, would the Desire install it automatically or would I have an opportunity to postpone/refuse it?[1]

I'm new to smartphones, and I'm assuming that firmware updates get pushed to UK users like me over the air when they appear. I'm definitely going to root my new Desire very soon but I can't make the time to do it properly[2] for a week or so. In the meantime I'd like to at least be able to use the phone without having to worry about an official 2.1 update (or even 2.2!) getting pushed to it, because the description of the Desire rooting process makes it clear that HTC are not a very root-friendly manufacturer. I imagine the next update will close the hole currently exploited by Paul's method and those of us without Paul's superpowers would have to wait for some new hole to be found and safely exploited, and I'd hate to be stuck in that position. (I mean, Sense looks lovely and everything, but I paid good money for this hardware and won't stand for being restricted!)

It has occurred to me that the answer may very well be "there's no way to know until an update *is* pushed", which would be frustrating but I'd just have to live with it til I root.

Thanks in advance,

zkw

[1] I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. While I'm "New to Android? New to MoDaCo?" it seems likely that this is somewhat specific to HTC because their firmware might well have custom behaviour.

[2] I appreciate that the rooting process itself would probably take less time that typing this post. By "properly" I mean fully I want to fully understand what the software stack and partitions on the phone look like both before and after, and how the process changes them, before I do anything. While totally new to smartphones I'm a seasoned Linux sysadmin, and we tend to be cautious types!

Guest Milos SK

If there will be new OTA update you will see notification about that and you should or should not update your phone. It won't update automatically so don't worry.

Guest Abnormal1

You should be able to turn off auto updates by going into settings -> about phone -> System software Updates and un-tick Scheduled check.

At least I assume that's what this option is for.

Guest drchips42
You should be able to turn off auto updates by going into settings -> about phone -> System software Updates and un-tick Scheduled check.

At least I assume that's what this option is for.

This option looks for updates, if you turn it off the phone will therefore not " look" unless promoted by the user .

If the user does not prompt , no updates will come down .

:angry:

Thanks for your help -- and sorry for not fully exploring the phone's settings, Abnormal1!

I made time to root my Desire this afternoon because I couldn't help tweaking things and realised that I'd lose all the tweaks in the process of rooting.

Looking forward to a CyanogenMod 6 release for the Desire now.

zkw