Froyo on a Branded Orange HTC Desire?

Guest mobad

Guest mobad

I've seen few posts but it eas related to the Tatoo or Hero.

I want to put a custom Froyo rom onto my Orange branded Desire?

Any one know the guides for a compelte newbie please?

Guest bigdan35

Well mate, I've recently done this myself, and to be honest with you it's the best thing I've ever done.

1. You can either use unrevoked, which can root your phone fast. Or if you fancy doing command line, follow this, it's what I used: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696189 and go to the "Branded Desire" part, you will also have to make a GoldCard, so remember if you don't have a spare MicroSD Card, just back up everything off your memory card first.

2. Once you've done that, your phone will be rooted. You will notice because there will be no Orange Branding on it, including Orange Maps, etc. Which is no real loss in all honesty. Now you will want to put Froyo on to your phone :(.

3. I highly recommend you unlocking your phone first, so buy a code from eBay, from a recommended and trustworthy seller (average around £8.99). This is required so you can flash the new Radio on to your phone so Froyo will work properly with Wifi, GPS, GSM, HSDPA, etc. Average takes like 30mins to 2 hours to get a code, so just be patient.

4. Now the easy part, your phone is rooted. Download "ROM Manager" from the Market, open up the app and download the latest version of Clockwork Mod through the app, this'll be required to put a ROM on your phone fast, easily, efficiently and most of all, it's the safest way to do anything.

5. Download the ROM of your choice, I recommend the one on the Kitchen on this forum, £9.99 for an "Ad Free" year membership. But you can trawl xda-developers forum also, or you can download the r5 prebakes which Paul has set up.

6. Once you've downloaded a ROM, put it on the SD Card, but make sure it's renamed "Update.zip", then go to ROM Manager, and select "Reboot into Recovery". Once you've done that you'll be in the ClockworkMod Recovery, back up things if you wish, then go to "Install Update.zip" and select it, this will flash a new ROM on to your phone easily, safe and everything. READ CAREFULLY. You will need to update to the newest Radio, so BE SURE that you DO NOT, I REPEAT.. DO NOT touch your phone when flashing the new Radio, it will switch on and off a few times, but it will reboot properly, this will take around 4-5 minutes, give or take.

7. It will load up, you will have to go through a phone set up as usual, once that's done, you'll be running Froyo.

I know this guide is a little bit vague, but follow these steps, and each step, find the relevant information and you'll be sorted. If you need anymore help feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you as much as I can :(

Dan

Guest mobad
Well mate, I've recently done this myself, and to be honest with you it's the best thing I've ever done.

1. You can either use unrevoked, which can root your phone fast. Or if you fancy doing command line, follow this, it's what I used: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696189 and go to the "Branded Desire" part, you will also have to make a GoldCard, so remember if you don't have a spare MicroSD Card, just back up everything off your memory card first.

2. Once you've done that, your phone will be rooted. You will notice because there will be no Orange Branding on it, including Orange Maps, etc. Which is no real loss in all honesty. Now you will want to put Froyo on to your phone :(.

3. I highly recommend you unlocking your phone first, so buy a code from eBay, from a recommended and trustworthy seller (average around £8.99). This is required so you can flash the new Radio on to your phone so Froyo will work properly with Wifi, GPS, GSM, HSDPA, etc. Average takes like 30mins to 2 hours to get a code, so just be patient.

4. Now the easy part, your phone is rooted. Download "ROM Manager" from the Market, open up the app and download the latest version of Clockwork Mod through the app, this'll be required to put a ROM on your phone fast, easily, efficiently and most of all, it's the safest way to do anything.

5. Download the ROM of your choice, I recommend the one on the Kitchen on this forum, £9.99 for an "Ad Free" year membership. But you can trawl xda-developers forum also, or you can download the r5 prebakes which Paul has set up.

6. Once you've downloaded a ROM, put it on the SD Card, but make sure it's renamed "Update.zip", then go to ROM Manager, and select "Reboot into Recovery". Once you've done that you'll be in the ClockworkMod Recovery, back up things if you wish, then go to "Install Update.zip" and select it, this will flash a new ROM on to your phone easily, safe and everything. READ CAREFULLY. You will need to update to the newest Radio, so BE SURE that you DO NOT, I REPEAT.. DO NOT touch your phone when flashing the new Radio, it will switch on and off a few times, but it will reboot properly, this will take around 4-5 minutes, give or take.

7. It will load up, you will have to go through a phone set up as usual, once that's done, you'll be running Froyo.

I know this guide is a little bit vague, but follow these steps, and each step, find the relevant information and you'll be sorted. If you need anymore help feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you as much as I can :(

Dan

Hi M8,

Many thanks for your reply.

Before I started to do anything I decided to unlock my phone.

Unfortunately after paying, my IMEI was not on their list and I had to pay an etxra £12 to get it, which taks around 5-7 days.

I willl let you know once I get the unlock code, how I get on.

Guest pete_thomson
Unfortunately after paying, my IMEI was not on their list and I had to pay an etxra £12 to get it, which taks around 5-7 days.

Was this a guy on Ebay called (i think) Yasif? If so he sorted mine out and it only took about 3-4 days

Guest landwomble
Was this a guy on Ebay called (i think) Yasif? If so he sorted mine out and it only took about 3-4 days

just to add to the guide above, when you run clockwork mod, use it to partition your SD card to 512MB ext partition and 0kb swap file (this will wipe SD card). This will give you a partition that you can use to install apps to SD card on ROMs that support it. Only takes a minute and will save you from a wipe and reinstall later on when you decide you want it!

Guest mobad
Yup Yasin was the same person

Just used Revoked 3.1 and im up to the clockwork recovery mode but after I restart it still has my branded phone.

How do I put on a custom rom?

after doing unrevoked, download titanium backup from the market. do a back up of system data + apps.

copy the custom rom.zip to your sd card.

1.turn off your phone, disconnect your usb.

2.power on with volume down pressed.

3.select recovery.

do a nandroid backup. this will let you restore your phone to this present state if anything goes wrong. you just repeat the above steps but select nandroid restore

next do a factory reset/wipe.

select install zip from sd card, choose the custom rom.zip

it should then flash the rom.

go back to select reboot.

your phone will boot up.

you can skip the setup if you did the titanium backup, because you open that up and restore the system data etc..

do another power off/ power on.

hopefully things should be perfect now.

if not you will prob have to check you have the right radio installed.

check the baseband in the software info in about phone settings.

if the baseband(radio) is not 5.09..... then download that. move it to your sd card. do 1-3 (this is entering clockwork mod recovery)

select install zip from sd card.

choose the radio.zip

should flash that, may reboot a few times.

should be done now.

do a couple manual reboots for safe measure

Edited by jomu

Guest mobad
after doing unrevoked, download titanium backup from the market. do a back up of system data + apps.

copy the custom rom.zip to your sd card.

1.turn off your phone, disconnect your usb.

2.power on with volume down pressed.

3.select recovery.

do a nandroid backup. this will let you restore your phone to this present state if anything goes wrong. you just repeat the above steps but select nandroid restore

next do a factory reset/wipe.

select install zip from sd card, choose the custom rom.zip

it should then flash the rom.

go back to select reboot.

your phone will boot up.

you can skip the setup if you did the titanium backup, because you open that up and restore the system data etc..

do another power off/ power on.

hopefully things should be perfect now.

if not you will prob have to check you have the right radio installed.

check the baseband in the software info in about phone settings.

if the baseband(radio) is not 5.09..... then download that. move it to your sd card. do 1-3 (this is entering clockwork mod recovery)

select install zip from sd card.

choose the radio.zip

should flash that, may reboot a few times.

should be done now.

do a couple manual reboots for safe measure

Thanks for the guide.

I managed to get the rom to work using more or less wha you instructed me an hour or back butthe baseband I have is 4.05.00.11

All seems to work ok, do i still need to update it?

Thanks for the guide.

I managed to get the rom to work using more or less wha you instructed me an hour or back butthe baseband I have is 4.05.00.11

you may need to update the radio for improved signal stability or if certain features are not working correctly. try out your video camera. that not working correctly probablty means you have to update the radio.

Guest camdenhandbrake
Thanks for the guide.

From my experience, yes, update to the latest radio. Running Froyo with the same radio as you massively reduced my battery life. Did an radio update yesterday and currently losing less than 1% per hour in standyby. Plus, as mentioned, it will also ensure the video camera works.

Guest mobad
From my experience, yes, update to the latest radio. Running Froyo with the same radio as you massively reduced my battery life. Did an radio update yesterday and currently losing less than 1% per hour in standyby. Plus, as mentioned, it will also ensure the video camera works.

Where can I download the latets radio and will I have to reflash again?

Thanks for the info

Guest camdenhandbrake
Where can I download the latets radio and will I have to reflash again?

Thanks for the info

xda have all the radio roms:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=687464

You won't need to re-flash, just install the radio in the same way as you installed your custom rom, using Recovery and running the .zip file using the 'install from SD' option.

This comes with the usual warnings - do the usual back-ups first, read a few threads on the subject and minimise the chances of bricking your phone.

EDIT: I'm assuming that you've already unlocked your phone or have an unlock code.

Edited by camdenhandbrake