Guest GriZlore

Guest GriZlore

Bloody Hell (as we say in the UK)

Dell Streak retailing for $299 with contract, $549 without

My deal is £40/mth, 18th contract

600mins

Unlimited SMS

Unlimited Data

Unlimited WiFi (from 02 hotspots etc (which I have never used))

Dell Streak = £0

That's a kick in the goolies ! Hope your monthly cost is very low

Source, Engadget --> Dell Streak Prices and pre-order details

Edited by GriZlore

Guest MrPokeylope

My streak was free on the 18 month £30 tarriff.

Got 30% discount on that from my friend laura, who was an O2 jockey, and free o2 to o2 plus unlimited data. (guessing you pay a fiver for one of those boltons.)

Get the same deal. 600 mins, unlimited texts. Don't get the wifi though, which you admitted was a bit pointless.

Don't think many can beat that :( £21 a month.

The poor americans get shafted on both phones and broadband. It's a disgrace! For years I thought they got everything nice and VAT free. Then reality hit when I visited.

It is rather cheap to drive there though!

Guest Alkiera

voice only plans on ATT start at $40/mon, for 450 mins. Data is $15/mon for 200 mb, $25/mon for 2gb. SMS/MMS is additional, something like $5-10/mon.

To get a reasonably usable plan with voice/text/data, you need to spend ~$70/month, on ATT. And there is no reduced fee for buying the phone outright, it's the same whether on contract or not.

That's part of the reason people want TMO, is they do reduced pricing, by a fair bit, if you bought the device outright. If you want subsidized, they'll charge you more(+$10-20/month, usually).

Me... I plan to get the device with no plan, and not put it on one. Use wifi, keep my VirginMobile pre-paid phone($25/mo), and go. If I want, I can get a mifi-device from VirginMobile with better data rates than ATT, and share it with my laptop and the Streak, and 3 other devices.

Most US cellular prices are insane...

Guest pug11111

you get the streak on 02 for free on a £25 a month you get 3gbs no voice or text just data

Edited by pug11111

Guest yosemite-sam
voice only plans on ATT start at $40/mon, for 450 mins. Data is $15/mon for 200 mb, $25/mon for 2gb. SMS/MMS is additional, something like $5-10/mon.

To get a reasonably usable plan with voice/text/data, you need to spend ~$70/month, on ATT. And there is no reduced fee for buying the phone outright, it's the same whether on contract or not.

That's part of the reason people want TMO, is they do reduced pricing, by a fair bit, if you bought the device outright. If you want subsidized, they'll charge you more(+$10-20/month, usually).

Me... I plan to get the device with no plan, and not put it on one. Use wifi, keep my VirginMobile pre-paid phone($25/mo), and go. If I want, I can get a mifi-device from VirginMobile with better data rates than ATT, and share it with my laptop and the Streak, and 3 other devices.

Most US cellular prices are insane...

is it true that in the us you have to pay for receiving a call? im paying £35 per month + £10 for insurance, im sure that racks up some in dollars. granted the handset was free but then it should be at that price.

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest popetodd
My streak was free on the 18 month £30 tarriff.

Got 30% discount on that from my friend laura, who was an O2 jockey, and free o2 to o2 plus unlimited data. (guessing you pay a fiver for one of those boltons.)

Get the same deal. 600 mins, unlimited texts. Don't get the wifi though, which you admitted was a bit pointless.

Don't think many can beat that :( £21 a month.

The poor americans get shafted on both phones and broadband. It's a disgrace! For years I thought they got everything nice and VAT free. Then reality hit when I visited.

It is rather cheap to drive there though!

Same deal here, I can't complain as it's the same plan I had before but with a far better bit of kit. :(

As for the states, I'm a US expat living here in the UK and I used to believe the same thing untiI got here.

Big eye opener, everything for the most part was cheaper (including housing) and I pay less in taxes here as well (when health insurance is included in the US as a tax, and I do think of it that way).

You're right though, the US is king at ripping of the oil and making their polluting a cheap affair.

Funny thing is my American friends don't believe me when I tell them how it is.

Nationalism doesn't pay when you live in the "land of the free".

Edited by popetodd

Guest popetodd
is it true that in the us you have to pay for receiving a call?

Used to be when I lived there, that was a couple of years ago.

Guest GriZlore

pay for receiving a call when you are "home" ?

Goodness me... o2 have just stopped doing that when I travel abroad (into Europe)

Guest Alkiera
Used to be when I lived there, that was a couple of years ago.

Yes, you use minutes whether you are calling or receiving.... Except in many cases your carrier allows free calls within the carrier (ATT to ATT, for example), or all other cell phones, or to/from a list of specific numbers, or have free periods during the evening and weekends.

Basically, they make it so that unless you live on your phone, you never use all the minutes on the most basic plan.

Hence, why I'm on a pre-paid carrier; for the amount I spend on the phone (120-150 mins/month) it makes no sense to have a plan that gives me 450, and costs twice as much.

Guest Phylar

Yeah that $300 price is pretty nuts. I had heard for a long time it would be sold without contract only, so I planned around that and bought an iPhone 4 in the meantime, and it's still the cheapest way :(

1. Buy an iPhone 4 32GB ($300) with 2 year contract

2. Sell the iPhone on eBay for around $800

3. Buy a Streak for $550 unlocked.

So, $50 about, depending on how well your auction sells :( No reason to buy the Streak under contract at all.