1/Sep 6.0.0 Release / Nightly - CyanogenMod members only and FREE Online Kitchens

Guest PaulOBrien

Welcome to an experiment... members only AND FREE online kitchens for CyanogenMod 6.0.0 Release and Nightly builds.

Update: The auto-updating nightly kitchens are now online!

About the MoDaCo Online Kitchen infrastructure

Regular readers will know we've been running an online kitchen for a while, providing ROM building services to AdFree and Plus members. The reason the kitchens have only been available to members is simple - load. The infrastructure required to support kitchens for a large number of users and devices just isn't economically viable.

At the time of writing, the MoDaCo infrastructure consists of four dedicated servers (all running quad core processors with large disks and a large amount of memory). These servers run custom load balancing software designed to ensure that all of the servers are utilised as optimally as possible to provide the best possible build experience.

The experiment

I have set up two free kitchens below to use one of these servers, leaving the other 3 servers load balancing for Ad Free and Plus members. Now, there's a possibility that the free kitchen could become overloaded and collapse in a big heap, but to a certain extent that is the point of this exercise. To get a gauge on the impact of making an online kitchen more widely available. This is a very limited test and won't be extended to all kitchen ROMs.

The kitchen provides both the stable release build and the current unstable 'nightly' build (with update checks hourly).

Is there a difference between the members only and free kitchens?

The biggest difference of course is the allocation of servers in the farm, which equates to speed and availability. The other difference is that the member kitchen can create signed builds, whereas the free kitchen cannot.

Awesome! How do I support future kitchen developments?

Simples... just sign up for an Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account (which also gets you access to the main kitchens of course!)

Do we post feedback on the CM 6 ROM here?

Only feedback on any issues relating to the kitchen... feedback on the ROM itself should be posted at the CyanogenMod forum.

Anything else?

The members only kitchens are in post 2, the free kitchens are in post 3. Enjoy! :)

P

MEMBERS ONLY KITCHENS (Release and Nightly)

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

FREE KITCHENS (Release and Nightly)

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Excellent work Paul! Have you considered putting Gearman in front of the free kitchen to try and stop the free kitchen imploding?

Never used gearman, but I don't see how it'd be useful in this situation? :)

P

Guest sublimino

From their site: http://gearman.org/#introduction

Essentially it performs load balancing and request queuing. In the case of the free kitchen, it would queue requests until the server was able to bake them, preventing it from reaching burnout-level load averages. And for the three full kitchens, it would load balance and request queue so you have a lower response time and never overload the servers. Even if this does result in slightly less throughput, the "average bake latency" will be lower :D

An example here: http://gearman.org/index.php?id=php_-_sync...us_image_resize

HTH

Edited by sublimino

Guest babelac

Could you let me know what is different between Free Kitchen and Member Only Kitchen. And how about the connection between them and Ad Free or Plus Account??

From their site: http://gearman.org/#introduction

Essentially it performs load balancing and request queuing. In the case of the free kitchen, it would queue requests until the server was able to bake them, preventing it from reaching burnout-level load averages. And for the three full kitchens, it would load balance and request queue so you have a lower response time and never overload the servers. Even if this does result in slightly less throughput, the "average bake latency" will be lower :D

An example here: http://gearman.org/index.php?id=php_-_sync...us_image_resize

HTH

We have this already using our own software...

P

I've been testing CM6 RCs and nightlies for a couple of weeks, and I gotta say since RC2 they really are REALLY awesome.

tip: if your ADW.Launcher crashes often, go in Settings -> CM Settings -> Performance

and set the VM Stack size to 24 instead of 32, and reboot. This seems to fix it for everyone, did it for me, too.

Guest Cyberdelia

wHAT? This ROM isn't A2SD? so.. how we can install our 200 apps (more or less?)

And how should the 4GB SD Card should be partitioned?, because the r21 hangs up all the time when I try to install a lot of apps...

Guest Cyberdelia

Really, how the SD card should be partitioned to install this rom in my N1? I get the error:

E: missing file:

system/app/Torch.apk

E: Verification failed

wHAT? This ROM isn't A2SD? so.. how we can install our 200 apps (more or less?)

And how should the 4GB SD Card should be partitioned?, because the r21 hangs up all the time when I try to install a lot of apps...

A2SD will not be in Cyanogen 6.0; it will be integrated in 6.1.

In the meantime, you can use the Froyo method (there's an option in the CM settings to enable froyo a2sd for all apps, rather than just the apps for which the dev has enabled it), which is good enough for me (I don't have 200 apps either lol)

Guest haven80
A2SD will not be in Cyanogen 6.0; it will be integrated in 6.1.

In the meantime, you can use the Froyo method (there's an option in the CM settings to enable froyo a2sd for all apps, rather than just the apps for which the dev has enabled it), which is good enough for me (I don't have 200 apps either lol)

Did you know if its possible to include Darktremor's App2Sd with this nighlty?

Thx

Thx

no idea, I have no interest in A2sd, froyo's way works fine for me. Check the xda dev forums, lots of CM6-based ROMs with A2sd.

Guest iconoclastic

Thx

Sounds like a job for that "custom ingredients" box. Now all we need is a guinea pig.

Guest iconoclastic

Thx

yep, at a glance it seems to work. I dropped the Darktremor zip into the "custom ingredients" slot and baked a nightly. apps and dalvik-cache moved to sd and seem fine. swap partition fails but that is apparently a known limitation of cm6.

Guest Cyberdelia

Ok, I found that settings, I think... For the apps be installed (Automatic is better than External?) and checked the "Allow Moving all apps"... BUT.. now I have a problem: by the way, I used ROM Manager to install this ROM... the RC2.. I connect to my WiFi, but NO NAVIGATION is possible...! ¿Is it because it's the unsigned version? I can't use the browser, or add my Google account, so.. I stil can't install all my apps, but because I can't connect to the market to install some file browser (I have almost all my apps in .apks to install). Anyway, even if my N1 get connected to WiFi, it can't navigate, so, what's the point to install apps (like twitter, facebook, gReader, etc) if there is no navigation?

Does anybody knows how to solve this?