More Alternative Launchers in MCR Kitchen?

Guest chipyy

So, sorry if it is bad form to make a seperate thread about this but having posted it on the MCR R9 thread a couple of times, no-one seems to have even noticed the post let alone reply to it so I'd like to know how people feel about this.

I personally would like to have the option in the kitchen to bake in more alternative launchers like ADW and LP. I know the MCR ROMs are as close to stock as possible, however a lot of people use these launchers and it would be nice for the the sake of performance to be able to have them installed to /system.

Would anyone but me be interested in having such an option, and Paul, would you ever consider allowing these options in the Kitchen?

You can always add them yourself to the ZIP once baked and then flash the ROM...takes 2 seconds

OR

Add a ZIP to the baking process with the Launcher you want in it

Edited by EddyOS

Yeah, I know, I just thought it would be nice to have them in the kitchen, since we are getting other non-stock mods added now.

For example, I personally would wager that more people use alternative launchers than they do things like the Smooth Sense battery icon thing.

By the same tack you could argue that ADW/LPP are just enhancements of the stock launcher :lol:

edit: By the way, a question. If I added LPP for example by the method you suggested, could I completely remove Rosie/Launcher2 from my ROM before flashing or would that sod things up? Would the phone know to use the alternative launcher on first boot or would it try and use the stock one and fail?

edit#2. I'm not massively fussed, by the way. If Paul's not up for adding these and no-one else is interested then that's fair enough, it's just one of those "nice to have" things.

Edited by chipyy

LPP should go in as it would do removing Sense and adding L2 I believe, if not it'd give you the option at startup to choose between LPP and whichever Launcher is left (might be worth leaving Sense and add LPP and choose at first boot)

Guest dchuraman

id like to remove the stock launchers, but last time i did this by accident, the phone would not work, obviously as it had no launcher, but i couldnt even get anywhere to install LPP.

does baking in your own zip add it to /system? also, how do i get a zip from the APK for the launcher?

Guest Sleepydude
So if you flashed a ROM that only contained Launcher Pro for example, would it work?

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Bake your Rom & download it, then open the zip file and from /system delete the Sense/Launcher2 apk and just add the Launcher Pro apk. Works like a charm.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Bake your Rom & download it, then open the zip file and from /system delete the Sense/Launcher2 apk and just add the Launcher Pro apk. Works like a charm.

Sweet. I will give it a bash. I still think it would be a really nice kitchen option though to be honest.