[OLED] 04/Oct r3: Superboot Root + MCRi

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest flash2004
How big was the file you transfered to your SD? I know my macbook unzips all the files I download and puts the orginal file in trash. I then have to go into trash and move the file to my desktop and delete the unzipped file. I have no idea why it does this???

Anyway the tar.gz file you put on your SD card should be around 82mb

That is done by safari (being clever where not needed)

Use some other browser (chrome or firefox) to circumvent that issue

Guest pandasman

Hey all,

Just tried to root the San Francisco, and upon entering the "fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img" command I get the following error:

"sending 'boot' <3152 KB>... FAILED <command write failed <Unkown error>"

As far as I can tell I have installed the correct drivers for XP as it shows up as an ABD Interface (Android Sooner Single ADB Interface).

I also tried the command on Ubuntu linux and get the error "fastboot-linux command: command not found"

The worst part of all this is that the phone loads to the Orange logo, then the Orange splash screen then back to the Orange logo. Any ideas how I can salvage this from being a £90 paperweight?

Thanks

Guest ptdborth
Hey all,

Just tried to root the San Francisco, and upon entering the "fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img" command I get the following error:

"sending 'boot' <3152 KB>... FAILED <command write failed <Unkown error>"

As far as I can tell I have installed the correct drivers for XP as it shows up as an ABD Interface (Android Sooner Single ADB Interface).

I also tried the command on Ubuntu linux and get the error "fastboot-linux command: command not found"

The worst part of all this is that the phone loads to the Orange logo, then the Orange splash screen then back to the Orange logo. Any ideas how I can salvage this from being a £90 paperweight?

Thanks

Hi, I got that aswell..but, as Paul says, just whack the stock image back on, or do what I did and put the Custom Rom on (put mcri-system.tar.gz in the root of your SD card).

Guest pandasman
pandasman, that's weird!

Try flashing back on the stock boot image...

P

Update:

Just tried it on mac and got this error:

"-bash: fastboot-mac: command not found"

Do I need SU access when running the command through terminal?

Will try revert to the stock boot image and see what happens...

"•From a command prompt (at the directory containing these new files!)"

Can you elaborate on this please Paul? Do i open a command prompt from accessories or somewhere else? Its the (at the directory containing these new files!) Thats got me confused. Ive never done anything like this before and dont want to ruin my new phone.

Ditto. I have all the files on my desktop but how do you open a command prompt from the directory? I've read and re-read the thread but can't see any instruction. I'm also following the video but it starts with the window already open.

Can't wait to get this on hope someone can help.

Guest flash2004
Update:

Just tried it on mac and got this error:

"-bash: fastboot-mac: command not found"

Do I need SU access when running the command through terminal?

Will try revert to the stock boot image and see what happens...

Try this (make sure that fastboot is in the same directory)

./fastboot-mac

If this doesn't work try this

chmod +x fastboot-mac

and then try the above command again.

Guest ancientyne

UBER NEWB mac terminal instructions, i wrote this for myself, usefull only for Mac user only, and again only those who followed the instructional video once but it didnt work for some reason or another, especially for those, who terminal brings out in a rash :lol: first watch pauls video at least twice, for the general instruction, this method varies in that all the files are placed in the same folder and not root, i probably made it more difficult for myself but it succeeded so I guess this might help someone on the mac, whos having real trouble, and when they type the commands shown in the video into terminal they didnt get the results they expected, things not found commands/devices/files etc.

download all the files as per pauls instruction make sure os x hasnt tried to expand the mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz file ie it should be 86mb etc also you will need to expand the fastboot.zip file and get the adb-mac and fastboot-mac commands from within it : copy the following files :

adb-mac

boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

fastboot-mac

mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz

into a folder inside the top of your hard drive (macintosh HD whatever youve named it) I called my folder 'blade' for instance, remember all the text in bold that follows is commands you are entering in the terminal and a return is required after each one :

open up terminal and type :

cd ..

repeat the last command until your at the root directory of your hard drive ie the top level though to be honest you should probably only need to enter it once,

then using the following command were going to change directory into the folder containing the files in my case 'blade' substitute 'blade' in the following command for whatever you called your folder :

cd blade

then list the files in this directory by typing

ls

and check to see that it lists the files you placed there : ie

adb-mac

fastboot-mac

Leaving the terminal window open, next hook up the android via USB and follow the instructions as shown in pauls video ie open back take battery out put battery back in, close back, hold down the volume up key and turn the phone on and it should pause at the ANDY green robot screen, now in mac os x terminal window, we must start entering the commands and this is where my method went / varied from the video but it worked, at this point i must thank joe998 for saving my bacon with how to use the ./fastboot-mac as i couldnt get it to work without doing what he suggested, this this is what I had to do

were going to enter fastboot in terminal in a slightly different way than the video to get it to work in my terminal had to type the following not really sure why ? > so type the command :

./fastboot-mac

this will then list all the possible modifiers usable with the command fastboot-mac, dont worry about what it shows you, next type :

./fastboot-mac flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

it should then say

sending 'boot' (3152 KB)... OKAY

writing 'boot'... OKAY

then type :

./fastboot-mac ,

then type

./fastboot-mac reboot

it should then say :

rebooting...

once the device has finished rebooting check as per pauls video, that it lists superuser in your application list on the android.

I then tried to do adb-mac push but had no luck, so to make it easier on your self, skip the adb push command and as paul suggests in the video just mount the sd card onto the desktop on the mac, your sd card may not be called sd card mine was called NO NAME for instance, if it isnt mounted unpluging the usb cable from the phone and replugging it should make it mount and appear on the mac. if you still dont see the sd card, check your sd card and usb settings, on the android press menu button > settings > etc once its mounted >

copy the file mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz from your previously created folder to the top level /root of the sd card as mounted

then rename the copied over file on the sd card to mcri-system.tar.gz

make sure the filename is spelt exactly as above

then turn the machine off by holding the power key and selecting "power off", and once its off , turn it back on.

bear in mind this boot will take longer than normal, Andy green robot will come up, then the orange logo, in theory the orange splash thing shouldnt appear but with mine it did at some point then it rebooted a second time and then orange logo again etc, but trust eventually it should make it to the android main screen, hold your nerve … … B)

once its up and running as normal, first press menu button > settings > about phone and check build number at the bottom says modaco etc.

and your done

thanks paul for all your hard work in putting modaco together, I got their in the end now running modaco B) superuser rooted and unlocked phone :lol:)

Edited by ancientyne

Guest tommyj
UBER NEWB mac terminal instructions, i wrote this for myself, usefull only for Mac user only, and again only those who followed the instructional video once but it didnt work for some reason or another, especially for those, who terminal brings out in a rash :lol: first watch pauls video at least twice, for the general instruction, this method varies in that all the files are placed in the same folder and not root, i probably made it more difficult for myself but it succeeded so I guess this might help someone on the mac, whos having real trouble, and when they type the commands shown in the video into terminal they didnt get the results they expected, things not found commands/devices/files etc.

download all the files as per pauls instruction make sure os x hasnt tried to expand the mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz file ie it should be 86mb etc also you will need to expand the fastboot.zip file and get the adb-mac and fastboot-mac commands from within it : copy the following files :

adb-mac

fastboot-mac

into a folder inside the top of your hard drive (macintosh HD whatever youve named it) I called my folder 'blade' for instance, remember all the text in bold that follows is commands you are entering in the terminal and a return is required after each one :

open up terminal and type :

cd ..

repeat the last command until your at the root directory of your hard drive ie the top level though to be honest you should probably only need to enter it once,

then using the following command were going to change directory into the folder containing the files in my case 'blade' substitute 'blade' in the following command for whatever you called your folder :

cd blade

then list the files in this directory by typing

ls

and check to see that it lists the files you placed there : ie

adb-mac

fastboot-mac

Leaving the terminal window open, next hook up the android via USB and follow the instructions as shown in pauls video ie open back take battery out put battery back in, close back, hold down the volume up key and turn the phone on and it should pause at the ANDY green robot screen, now in mac os x terminal window, we must start entering the commands and this is where my method went / varied from the video but it worked, at this point i must thank joe998 for saving my bacon with how to use the ./fastboot-mac as i couldnt get it to work without doing what he suggested, this this is what I had to do

were going to enter fastboot in terminal in a slightly different way than the video to get it to work in my terminal had to type the following not really sure why ? > so type the command :

./fastboot-mac

this will then list all the possible modifiers usable with the command fastboot-mac, dont worry about what it shows you, next type :

./fastboot-mac flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

it should then say

sending 'boot' (3152 KB)... OKAY

writing 'boot'... OKAY

then type :

./fastboot-mac ,

then type

./fastboot-mac reboot

it should then say :

rebooting...

once the device has finished rebooting check as per pauls video, that it lists superuser in your application list on the android.

I then tried to do adb-mac push but had no luck, so to make it easier on your self, skip the adb push command and as paul suggests in the video just mount the sd card onto the desktop on the mac, your sd card may not be called sd card mine was called NO NAME for instance, if it isnt mounted unpluging the usb cable from the phone and replugging it should make it mount and appear on the mac. if you still dont see the sd card, check your sd card and usb settings, on the android press menu button > settings > etc once its mounted >

copy the file mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz from your previously created folder to the top level /root of the sd card as mounted

then rename the copied over file on the sd card to mcri-system.tar.gz

make sure the filename is spelt exactly as above

then turn the machine off by holding the power key and selecting "power off", and once its off , turn it back on.

bear in mind this boot will take longer than normal, Andy green robot will come up, then the orange logo, in theory the orange splash thing shouldnt appear but with mine it did at some point then it rebooted a second time and then orange logo again etc, but trust eventually it should make it to the android main screen, hold your nerve … … B)

once its up and running as normal, first press menu button > settings > about phone and check build number at the bottom says modaco etc.

and your done

thanks paul for all your hard work in putting modaco together, I got their in the end now running modaco B) superuser rooted and unlocked phone :lol:)

Great guide!

Guest tigermain

FYI anyone following Pauls original instructions, I found that I had to also rename the tar file to (thanks tommyj):

mcri-system.tar.gz

before my device would pick it up on boot up

Edited by tigermain

Guest john306
"•From a command prompt (at the directory containing these new files!)"

Can you elaborate on this please Paul? Do i open a command prompt from accessories or somewhere else? Its the (at the directory containing these new files!) Thats got me confused. Ive never done anything like this before and dont want to ruin my new phone.

Thanks

Sorry but I don't get this either, I've read and re-read but don't know whats required to get to the command prompt stage from Win 7, the rest I'm fine with.

Help appreciated

Edited by john306

Guest xeyaztian

Is it possible to have an even easier walk threw guide, I cant do the command prompt, I have both a Windows 7 machine and a Ubuntu latest one machine, and on ethie rof them through command prompts and terminal, i cant even get passed any of it.

Am I right in thinking that in order to do this, I only need the two downloadable files from the first post?

Guest bignred84

Hi folks, new member here, been advised to join up here from HUKD

Could someone please advise of the best way forward, have bought the San Francisco

have read various posts (read the whole 50 pages on HUKD) then bought the phone

now for my problem,

I'm trying to download the MCRI file/download, no matter how or what way I've tried

Have been trying since last night, countless times now, I'm getting an error message

THE ERROR MESSAGE BEING, Error: Internal error processing ISO image

then I get a empty zip folder ???

tried used Firefox, get an error message, tried via I/E, seem to work till I used winrar to unrar the download, then I got a long error message, similar to one posted earlier on HUKD

tried a download last night posted from a separate site, also got the error message

can any one shed any light on why I can't download this file/folder

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP

Thanks in advance

Edited by bignred84

Guest Tidy_Sammy

First of all great job to Paul and the community here for all that you've done with this, great stuff!

Now, I'm getting a bit stuck, so I'll explain what I've done..phone arrived today, it's unused apart from being unlocked. I'm running Ubuntu.

- Made a folder on my desktop called 'Root'

- Extracted the fastboot into the 'Root folder', and dowloaded and put the MCRi file into the fastboot folder, here is a picture of my fastboot folder.

- I then open up the terminal and go into the 'Root' directory and put in the prompt, here is a picture of my problem, command not found. I've tried to illustrate my noobness to this phone stuff as best as possible, only thing I can think of is that I need a linux driver for the phone that I haven't gotten or that this folder should be on the phone or somewhere else? Thanks in advance guys..

You've seen the video right? How much easier could it be?

P

The video is great, I've been through it a few times but still don't understand how to open a command prompt from the directory with the files in. I know it probably sounds dumb but I'd really appreciate a simple instruction here.

Massive thanks for all the work that went into this by the way :lol:

Guest con500

Ye all seems to be getting a bit tricky now. are the files mentioned at the top of this thread (thanx Paul) the only three files needed...Or do i need to install the windows drivers first then these 3 files. Also when i D/L the drivers files do i extract them to anywhere in particular or will they be in device manager when i plug the phone in? Sorry but im a total noob to all this.

Will the above install just Root the phone...and will then require me to download and install the custom Rom as a seperate process.

Thanks to paul and everyone here for all the progress you have made on this device...The advice here is awesome. Still slightly confused though lol

Guest john306
Ye all seems to be getting a bit tricky now. are the files mentioned at the top of this thread (thanx Paul) the only three files needed...Or do i need to install the windows drivers first then these 3 files. Also when i D/L the drivers files do i extract them to anywhere in particular or will they be in device manager when i plug the phone in? Sorry but im a total noob to all this.

Will the above install just Root the phone...and will then require me to download and install the custom Rom as a seperate process.

Thanks to paul and everyone here for all the progress you have made on this device...The advice here is awesome. Still slightly confused though lol

Just head over to HDUK for an easy walk through guide.

I'm totally new at this so when paul writes ...•From a command prompt (at the directory containing these new files!)

I've no idea what he's on about, and when I ask he obviously just dismissed me as an idiot.

It's no good him saying

You've seen the video right? How much easier could it be?

Because the video already starts with the command prompt screen up and running.

Thanks all the same for your work as I've gotten there in the end

Guest kaisersolo

Please help I cannot get my phone to flash

win 7 64 bit

rooted the phone as in video

I have copied the im to the device and name it mcri-system.tar.gz

I then turn the phone off and start it again

It just starts normally and doesn't seem to see this file

Any ideas

I have check the spelling and It the file is in the root of the sd card.

Help Please

Guest hyster27
Please help I cannot get my phone to flash

win 7 64 bit

rooted the phone as in video

I have copied the im to the device and name it mcri-system.tar.gz

I then turn the phone off and start it again

It just starts normally and doesn't seem to see this file

Any ideas

I have check the spelling and It the file is in the root of the sd card.

Help Please

I'll watch for an answer with interest, I'm in exactly the same position.

Name of the file on the sd card is exactly as above but it just boots into the standard orange rom....

Guest geezer466

Look at your windows help files for how to get to a command prompt window. You will need a little knowledge of dos commands such as cd and dir/w.

In the later windows systems the command prompt function is in the start menu/accessories folder. Once it is open you will need to navigate the prompt to the folder where you have the files you want to flash. Read a little about dos commands it's not hard.

If you are sure you have the file name correct and it is still not flashing you need to inspect the file extension. Sometimes windows will add another extension that you will not be able to see unless you have set your folders correctly. In vista/7 open a explorer window and go to organise/folder and search options.

Click view (centre tab) and scroll down till you can see 'Hidden Files and Folders' Click show.

2 down from there is 'Hide Extensions for Known File Types' Ensure this is Not selected. Ok all your way out.

Inspect the extension on your flash file and edit as required. Run the dos command again and all should be well.