Overclocking pulse mini

Guest AndroidKiller

Guest kallt_kaffe

I added the clocklines from the U8220 (pulse) project and also enabled swap. Here's the boot.img that I'm running. It will not boot unless you run RLS5 of my custom ROM because the init.rc expects stuff from that release to work properly but the kernel can be extracted and used with the standrard initrd.gz.

Install setcpu (google it) to mess around with the CPU clock.

To enable swap, partition your SD-card and then use something like this to enable swap (need to be done after every boot unless you put in it in a boot script).

$ su

# swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (assuming your swap is partition 2)

I use 64Mb for swap but feel free to experiment with it.

On an U8100 like mine this kernel won't be able to read battery status so you'd need to tweak build.prop in order to stop it from powering off after 30 seconds. There's a property called rc.config-something-lowbat-something. I can check the exact name if someone need it but it shouldn't be that hard to find it. Just change from 1 to 0 and it will stop turning off. U8110 should not have this problem as it is the pulse mini kernel source that I've used.

This is of course highly experimental and I recommend fastbooting for now, propably not a good idea to flash it until it has gone through some more testing.

EDIT: Not sure the overclocking does anything except changing the displayed value... I think was a but too quick on my cut'n'paste... I'll do some more testing.

EDIT2: Removed attachment!

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

Ok, this one actually seems to be overclocked as got better benchmarks with it. I don't think it's really as high as 780MHz but I left the "cosmetic" speed as it is for the moment. I'll try to learn more about how this works

EDIT: Removed attachment

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

Forget the above boot images... I don't think the method used in the pulse thread is actually working (but I don't mind being proved wrong). I'm know trying the stuff suggested in the first post in this thread. 711MHz did cause a reboot so I'm trying the next below (711 - 19.2).

EDIT: Linpack score 2.812 running 691MHz (or so I think...)

EDIT2: SetCPU (still shows 528), long benchmark 9536ms, was around 12000ms before overclocking.

EDIT3: Linpack score back on 528MHz 2.104 so based on that, linpack score increased with 33% and the CPU increase is around 31% so the benchmark increases matches the MHz increase quite well.

:lol:

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest CodeWarrior
Here you go finally.... 691.2MHz kernel with swap enabled... Have fun. Works only with my custom ROM at the moment due to changes in the initrd.gz but I can make one with thet stock initrd.gz later.

Thanks kallt_kaffe, have you noticed a difference and do you know how I can add this to my Pulse Mini with MGcustomrom?

Guest kallt_kaffe
Thanks kallt_kaffe, have you noticed a difference and do you know how I can add this to my Pulse Mini with MGcustomrom?

I'll make some more boot images later... this one expect my custom ROM RLS5.

Hi, I'm from the Pulse thread & just wanted to say thanks for letting us know about the overclock not actually working. I've just compared acpuclock.c (I'm assuming that's what the patch targets?) in both sources of the Pulse & Mini and fortunately they are the same except for an extra piece of code in the Mini source at 628:623.

Would it please be possible to provide your modified patch/diff based on the xda one so that we could try applying it to our source? Cheers :lol:

Edit: Don't worry, I was being stupid & completely misinterpreted what you had already supplied. Thanks again.

Edited by starkos

Guest kallt_kaffe

New boot image that has 4 steps above 528MHz that are all detectable by SetCPU.

576MHz

614.4MHz

652.8MHz

691.2MHz

This image is to be used with my custom ROM RLS5.

Use fast boot to try it without flashing: fastboot-windows.ext boot boot-swap-overlock-rls5.img

See the superboot thread on how to put the phone in the right mode and to get the fastboot executable.

boot_swap_overclock_rls5.zip

Guest kallt_kaffe
it boots but theres no network and the battary says its empty even thow there was a full battary then after 30 secs it shuts down

I originally thought the battery problem was caused by using the pulse mini source on the U8100 but I was wrong. I've know identified the line in .config that is needed for the battery to work.

I'm going to compile with the original pulse mini .config now. That means it should be exactly like the original kernel except for overclocking. It'll take a while (slow PC) but I'll put ut a new boot.img later today.

Guest rickywyatt
Here you go. Compiled with pulse mini original .config. Only difference between this and original T-mobile UK boot.img should be the overclocking in the kernel.

just testing now ave you added a2sd and swop?

Guest rickywyatt
Here you go. Compiled with pulse mini original .config. Only difference between this and original T-mobile UK boot.img should be the overclocking in the kernel.

phone boots ok cpu can be overclocked battery and network all ok

Guest rickywyatt
What's the difference between using this and SetCPU to overclock? Also can you provide the steps needed to add this to MG rom?

with setcpu you can now overclock to 691mhz

Guest kallt_kaffe
phone boots ok cpu can be overclocked battery and network all ok

Great, how about the electronic compass? I have problems getting it to run on my U8100 with my own compiled kernel.

And no, there is no swap or anything else in this version. I tried to change to nothing but overclocking to make sure everything works before I start readding other stuff.

And setcpu is not needed to overclock, it will run 691.2MHz by default but setcpu can be used to set lower and upper speeds and more things. You can also downclock back to 528MHz with SetCPU to compare benchmarks.

Edited by kallt_kaffe