06/Dec v27 (2.1/2.2): HTC_IME mod by jonasl repacked for the Blade

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Seagull81
can somebody tell me how after i download this zip file, do i get it onto my san francisco and install it?

I downloaded it to my pc, extracted the zip which gave me 2 x apk files in the folder. I then used Estrong file explorer over my wifi to tranfer to phone. Alternatively, plug your phone in to your pc by usb, select 'disk drive' (not charge) from the drop down menu and copy the files to your sd card. You can then use a file explorer on your phone (if you've installed one), to browse to where you placed the apk files. Select them one at a time to install.

Did you get any joy with this problem? I too have it and can't seem to find a workaround anywhere.

Nope, still haven't found a solution. I would love if somebody knew how to make it work.

Nope, still haven't found a solution. I would love if somebody knew how to make it work.

I have tried everything. It loses the inputted words as soon as I exit the message. Is there any similar keyboard input that is as well laid out as this that I could use instead? The stock Android one has smaller buttons.

User Dictionary work around

---------------------------------

If you keep losing your custom words then this'll help but isn't the perfect solution. It'll remember your words until you reboot the phone. When you reboot the phone you have to import your wordlist back in (only takes a few seconds). At least you won't have lost all your custom spellings.

Settings > Language & Keyboard > HTC_IME mod settings > User Dictionary (Import, Export and Clear)

NOT User Dictionary (Add, delete and edit words in your personal dictionary)

Select 'Export Dictionary'

Edit the text file /sdcard/htcimedict.txt on your computer or phone and add your custom words.

Import Dictionary in

Settings > Language & Keyboard > HTC_IME mod settings > User Dictionary (Import, Export and Clear)

Any use to anyone?

Guest deusum86
User Dictionary work around

---------------------------------

If you keep losing your custom words then this'll help but isn't the perfect solution. It'll remember your words until you reboot the phone. When you reboot the phone you have to import your wordlist back in (only takes a few seconds). At least you won't have lost all your custom spellings.

NOT User Dictionary (Add, delete and edit words in your personal dictionary)

Select 'Export Dictionary'

Edit the text file /sdcard/htcimedict.txt on your computer or phone and add your custom words.

Import Dictionary in

Any use to anyone?

Ok so nice to see that i'm not the only one who struggles with this issue. I already startet to think that there might be a corelation between losing of the htc ime dictionary and adding the gingerbread keyboard. Can at least someone confirm, that the user dictionary is working for him or do we have a general problem?

I'm going to try another workaround. Couldn't we extract the apk, find the standard userdictionary that comes with the apk, edit it or replace it with our custom built user dictionary and resign the apk? Do you think this would be worth a try?

Best regards

EDIT: I just tried to find the user dictionary. I indeed found a udb (which is the HTC User Dictionary as far as I remember my time with HTC Magic) but it's all English and not correctly shown in windows texteditor (strange symbols between the words).

So I assume it will be quite tricky till impossible to find the userdictionary...

EDIT 2: I probably found the issue. It seems that the the userdictionary isn't stored in your phone (don't know why). If you open data/data/jonasl.ime

you get two folders lib and shared_prefs. As far as I remember from my magic times..:) there should also be a file called udb (at least in stock htc keyboard) which stores the user dictionary. I have to admit that I'm not absolutely sure about this. But could someone with another android phone (my magic is bricked) install the HTC-Ime mod from XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624416). Be sure to take the correct version for your other android phone!! install it. Try it out, enter a few custom words to the user dictionary (Just start a short message draft), kill the kb. Now enter with rootexplorer or any other capable file browser the data/data/jonasl.ime folder and tell us what's there...

Thx in advance

Edited by deusum86

Ok so nice to see that i'm not the only one who struggles with this issue...

I reckon those with a working setup aren't interested in this thread (understandable as their dictionary works) so we are struggling for feedback.

I've upgraded to Paul's froyo alpha3, reinstalled the HTC keyboard but still it forgets words. Importing now and again is a bit irksome. The keyboard still trumps the Touchpal imo

Edited by piab

Guest deusum86

Meanwhile I uninstalled the HTC IME mod and switched over to the gingerbread keyboard. It's working pretty good. To me it seems even slightly faster then the HTC IME mod and more accurate. The prediction is working and the easy and fast switching between languages is another plus. The only disadvantage is that you manually have to set lcddensity to 240 (although it is at 240 if you boot) after every boot which results in another "soft" reboot to make the gingiekbd appear in correct size.

So if anyone struggles with the same IME mod problem I would suggest to try the gingerbread kbd..:)

Maybe I will check this thread from time to time to see if there is any progress concerning the dictionary of HTC IME. Till then the gingerbread kbd is my first choice.

Best regards

Edited by deusum86

^^ This. I installed the Gingerbread keyboard for 2.1 today. How can something so tiny on the screen be so much more accurate than the HTC_IME mod? It's also much faster. I'll keep the HTC_IME as a backup, but the Gingerbread keyboard is my new default.

Guest deusum86
^^ This. I installed the Gingerbread keyboard for 2.1 today. How can something so tiny on the screen be so much more accurate than the HTC_IME mod? It's also much faster. I'll keep the HTC_IME as a backup, but the Gingerbread keyboard is my new default.

But you went through the fix to make it proper size? I mean downloading lcd density from market (you need root), open, press continue, scroll down to 240, press 240 and then press apply. The does a "soft reboot", meaning it starts from modaco splash. Then the keyboard should be the correct size. Unfortunately you have to go through this every time you reboot your phone. But it's not such a big thing since it costs you only about 20 seconds.

...it's not such a big thing since it costs you only about 20 seconds.

The small size of the keyboard isn't a problem for me. I have found it to be more accurate than the HTC_IME mod even at the small size, I no longer need to worry about losing dictionary entries, and to be honest, the "fix" you describe is a little half-baked in my opinion.

Guest deusum86
The small size of the keyboard isn't a problem for me. I have found it to be more accurate than the HTC_IME mod even at the small size, I no longer need to worry about losing dictionary entries, and to be honest, the "fix" you describe is a little half-baked in my opinion.

Well you're right it's accurate enough even on small size. But it seems to me more comfortable in proper size. However the fix isn't perfect but it's easy to do, needs not much time and the result is good. So it's your choice :). I rather go through that process after every boot instead typing on min keys...

Guest deusum86
Wouldn't LCD Density change the resolution for the whole environment though and not just the keyboard? Sounds messy to me... :)

You're right. It would change the resolution for the whole environment if it wasn't set already at 240 by standard. I have no idea why but setting it again at 240 affects only the gingerbread keyboard. Obviously the rest will remain as it was by default because in fact you change nothing. Only the gingerbread keyboard changes size..

Don't ask my why... just try it for yourself..;)

Edited by deusum86

You're right. It would change the resolution for the whole environment if it wasn't set already at 240 by standard. I have no idea why but setting it again at 240 affects only the gingerbread keyboard. Obviously the rest will remain as it was by default because in fact you change nothing. Only the gingerbread keyboard changes size..

Don't ask my why... just try it for yourself..:)

Hmm I don't find that to be the case, changing the lcd density changes my whole environment. By default the gingerbread keyboard is too squashed on my 2.1 ROM (BV_1.1.0_RLS2). Setting the lcd density to 240 does make it bigger but its still too small compared to the HTC_IME. For me density at 260 was about the minimum I found usable for the gingerbread keyboard but because the whole environment is affected and not just the keyboard it's not really a usable option, I must have fat fingers. ;)

Just realised the voice text input isn't working though, when i press the button nothing happens.

Can someone check theirs to make sure it isn't just me?

Nope, not working here either (was just searching in case it was just me!).

Guest StevenHarperUK
Is there a way to make this HTC keyboard to be default keyboard?

First in Settings | Keyboards - make sure the keyboard you want is checked (ticked)

Hold down your finger in ANY input box - choose input mode - now select a keyboard to be default.

Guest protocold
First in Settings | Keyboards - make sure the keyboard you want is checked (ticked)

Hold down your finger in ANY input box - choose input mode - now select a keyboard to be default.

Oh I thought this is just for switching the keyboard.... coz somehow mine doesnt stick... i always have to switch keyboard somehow....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IVIetaCreatoR
excellent finally found the blade version with voice search, thanks everyone for their hard work

It always crashes on my 2.2 (alpha3 and Jellyfish RS4) with new kernel for me.

Used to work fine on 2.1 Hungarian Hedgehog.