Works perfectly on rooted froyo.

@paullong

thank's for the fm hcitool

@moneytoo

@Reecemac

@XsCode

Thanks for all your efforts and time!!!

EDIT

I yanked the FM app off cyanogen and tried to run it on froyo. FCd as expected.

Edited by watermelun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest keithwwalker

Thanks to all. I have the app running on my Streak now.

Would be great to get volume control to work with with the regular phone speaker, big speaker and bluetooth. Apparently you can buy an antenna to fit into the 3.5mm port. That would allow reception, just need the sound sent somewhere else!

$(KGrHqV,!lkE2EPD5(NvBNqR(hJD7g~~0_3.JPG

Mobile_Phone_External_FM_Antenna_Adapter_for_Sony_Ericsson_Nokia_Motorola_SamsunLG_under_developed.jpg

Edited by keithwwalker

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fu0212
Hello all,

Where does one need to write this code on dell streak?

Sorry! But i am new to android

Look forward for a reply.

use eclipse write code

Guest XsCode

nice job!

much better than my effort :P

Based on your files fm_hcitool

i've got it made GUI

my English is poor sorry

Chinese interface

Thanks your job

Guest dbsjacky

It can not control the volume, please tell me how can I set up to control the volume. Thank you!

Edited by dbsjacky

• 3 weeks later...
Guest A freddled gruntbuggly

I've been playing with StreakRadio a bit… well, a lot. Works mostly fine on rooted 2.2 with setuid+setgid fm_hcitool here, though sometimes the audio hardware and/or the audio drivers in the kernel get stuck.

I haven't tested with it invoking fm_hcitool via a root shell (since I have su locked down and slightly out of the way). It does prefer su, though I suspect that it'll need to read from the root shell's stdout & stderr…

If anybody knows how to set the radio volume level, I'd like to know. (I do know that it'll be done via SetVolumeControlStream(), but it doesn't seem to be any of 0…9, and 10 causes the volume control tool to abort.)

I would attach the source, but I need clarification here: there's no licence information in the archive which I downloaded (from this thread) therefore no rights are granted (in addition to any granted by law) so technically I have no rights to distribute it.

XsCode – want to clarify the licensing?

As for setuid+setgid fm_hcitool (assuming that it's in /system/bin):

# chown 0.0 /system/bin/hci_tool

# chmod 6755 /system/bin/fm_hcitool

Guest XsCode

You can't change the volume without the fm_hcitool source, it doesn't hook into the android volume API's and my app just acts as a GUI to it..

The source is completely opensource and Licenceless as long as it's not compiled and stuck on the market to make money..

If anybody knows how to set the radio volume level, I'd like to know. (I do know that it'll be done via SetVolumeControlStream(), but it doesn't seem to be any of 0…9, and 10 causes the volume control tool to abort.)

XsCode – want to clarify the licensing?

Guest A freddled gruntbuggly
You can't change the volume without the fm_hcitool source, it doesn't hook into the android volume API's and my app just acts as a GUI to it..

Hmm… Source or relevant details?

The source is completely opensource

Fine so far. (OSI definition?)

and Licenceless

No licence == no rights granted. What's needed is you saying what's permitted, be it here or in a text file in the source archive.

as long as it's not compiled and stuck on the market to make money..

That to me looks like a licence condition.

If you've done anything to it since 6 Oct, could you perhaps post a diff or fresh source?

On the assumption that you won't object, here's what I've done to it. Licence is… basically up to you: what I've done to it I consider to be modifiable and redistributable, but if you distribute the binary, you must also make available the corresponding source (ref. GPLv2 and later). I provide it as is, without warranty of any sort.

Source (no .apk) streakradio.zip

It's still far from ideal: for instance, typed values aren't handled until you use an adjustment button, and leaving the UI doesn't yet work well. But it does work on 2.2 :)

I just hope that it doesn't cause nasal demons. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cedarman

https://market.andro...mikersmicros.fm

would this app work with the streak? .... Nevermind, answering my own question.

"No. No it won't."

it will work with the streak PROVIDED you load any one of the two working applications before hand , ie load fm_radio.rar , then load the spirit fm ,

a tricky workaround but it works with rds etc

Guest mrmrmrmr
it will work with the streak PROVIDED you load any one of the two working applications before hand , ie load fm_radio.rar , then load the spirit fm , a tricky workaround but it works with rds etc
<BR><BR>how do you do that ? <BR>"load fm_radio.rar" ? <BR>"then load the spirit fm" ? <BR><BR>I'd love to have a working radio solution with RDS... please let us know how to make it work... <BR><BR>thx <BR><BR><BR>edit:<BR>I've installed the Spirit FM application and it works great on Steve's 1.9.1 ROM.<BR>RDS is also working.<BR> Edited by mrmrmrmr

Guest Mike Reid

it will work with the streak PROVIDED you load any one of the two working applications before hand , ie load fm_radio.rar , then load the spirit fm ,

a tricky workaround but it works with rds etc

Hi. I'm the author of the Spirit FM Radio app.

------

First I have a question. :) Could anyone point me to or send me the bcom_fm.h file I've read here about ? I can't find it in any of the files linked on this thread.

I don't know if this is part of the source code for fm_hcitool (or fm_hcitool_speaker), but if anyone has the source for that it would be wonderful.

If not I will eventually reverse engineer the Ioctls used for setting the audio paths to headset or speaker etc.

I've seen references to arch/arm/mach-msm/include/mach/bcom_fm.h but Google can't find me that source code tree.

--------

In the latest version of my app on the Market, I added an Audio Method setting of "fm_hcitool". At present it just calls this binary that I embedded in my app.

In this post on my XDA thread, cedarman reported success without loading any other FM app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15740471&postcount=738

But he also reported it's only working with the speakers. For the speaker mode I run "fm_hcitool 9 2" and for headset "fm_hcitool 9 1". I'm not sure why headset isn't working.

Guest mrmrmrmr

------

First I have a question. :) Could anyone point me to or send me the bcom_fm.h file I've read here about ? I can't find it in any of the files linked on this thread.

I don't know if this is part of the source code for fm_hcitool (or fm_hcitool_speaker), but if anyone has the source for that it would be wonderful.

If not I will eventually reverse engineer the Ioctls used for setting the audio paths to headset or speaker etc.

I've seen references to arch/arm/mach-msm/include/mach/bcom_fm.h but Google can't find me that source code tree.

--------

In the latest version of my app on the Market, I added an Audio Method setting of "fm_hcitool". At present it just calls this binary that I embedded in my app.

In this post on my XDA thread, cedarman reported success without loading any other FM app: http://forum.xda-dev...1&postcount=738

But he also reported it's only working with the speakers. For the speaker mode I run "fm_hcitool 9 2" and for headset "fm_hcitool 9 1". I'm not sure why headset isn't working.

Hi,

Updated Spirit FM works on my Dell Streak with fm_hcitool method. However, as stated it only outputs to the Speaker. Before that I was able to run it just after starting another radio app which uses fm_hcitool. IF Irun that way, I can get sound to headphones.

Just let me know if you want me to test anything else.

Guest XsCode

https://github.com/c.../mach/bcom_fm.h

this isn't the file i referred to tho.. i'll keep looking for that..

Edit: Found the file i was working with before i gave up...

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base/blob/gingerbread/core/jni/android_hardware_fm_bcm4325.cpp

------

--------

In this post on my XDA thread, cedarman reported success without loading any other FM app: http://forum.xda-dev...1&postcount=738

Edited by XsCode

Guest Mike Reid

https://github.com/c.../mach/bcom_fm.h

this isn't the file i referred to tho.. i'll keep looking for that..

Edit: Found the file i was working with before i gave up...

https://github.com/C..._fm_bcm4325.cpp

Thanks a lot !

I saw android_hardware_fm_bcm4325.cpp long ago, but was hoping bcom_fm.h would reveal more "secrets" about Broadcom FM.

I DID find a few new bits of information in the bcom_fm.h you linked. It's too bad Broadcom keeps their chip specs so secret.

Guest Mike Reid

Hi,

Updated Spirit FM works on my Dell Streak with fm_hcitool method. However, as stated it only outputs to the Speaker. Before that I was able to run it just after starting another radio app which uses fm_hcitool. IF Irun that way, I can get sound to headphones.

Just let me know if you want me to test anything else.

Hopefully when I reverse engineer fm_hcitool, I will learn more about that.

Guest mrmrmrmr

Hopefully when I reverse engineer fm_hcitool, I will learn more about that.

I noticed that if I run your app and then exit, my battery drains faster.

To stop the drain, I have to restart phone after exiting app.

I believe radio power stays runningbackground.