Battery charging... veeeeery slow...

Guest mastakila

Guest mastakila

As we all know battery life is not great with our SF but what is more annoying for me is charging time.

My battery completley died about 9.30 this morning so i plugged it into USB port of my workstation. Within first 1.5h battery level was 47% but last hour it had only gone up by 10% :/

My previous chargin times were really high as well close to 6h and it looks like this one is going to be the same.

I would expect device like this to be fully charged in less than two hours...

At the moment I'm running Paul's custom ROM r2.

Could you please post your charging time/battery life together with ROM you are using...

Thanks

Guest mastakila
If you want the phone to charge quicker then you'll need to use the power adapter. It's all down to USB power draw.

should have mentioned that two previous charges were done using Mains to USB power adapters (bundled and my old iphone one) still the same.

My old iphone3G took under 2h fully charged regardless of power source. Extensive charging times are real problem for me...

EDIT:

Could you please post your charging time, power source and ROM?

Edited by mastakila

Guest Simon O
should have mentioned that two previous charges were done using Mains to USB power adapters (bundled and my old iphone one) still the same.

My old iphone3G took under 2h fully charged regardless of power source. Extensive charging times are real problem for me...

EDIT:

I don't actually know how long it takes my phone to charge as I usually just leave it connected to USB when at home.

Guest oh!dougal
... old iphone3G took under 2h fully charged regardless of power source. Extensive charging times are real problem for me...

EDIT:

I think that power draw during charging is going to affect charge time.

Which is to say, its going to take longer to charge if you are running wifi, bt, gps, 3g data with Google Latitude (or a similar constantly active app) running while you are charging ...

With wifi sleeping with the screen, and bt, gps, and mobile data off -- ie as a phone just waiting for a call, the battery life is just fine (like about a week).

However, turn all the goodies on, and it does suck power fast.

If you are a constant twiddler, you'll be wanting to take every opportunity of keeping the battery topped up.

Might be one reason Orange were positioning it as a PAYG phone rather than a contract-poweruser phone?

If you are really worried about the consequences of being landed with a flat battery, invest in one of those external usb-connect battery-to-charge-your-phone-battery packs.

Otherwise, it seems like a good thing to be "energy concious", and turn stuff off when it ain't being used.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Andyroid

Mine does take an eternity to charge and that's via the mains charger supplied.

Having said that its never switched off, i keep it on the lock screen purely because it tells me the charge status xx%

Do you get any indication when its switched off (totally black screen) that its fully charged, ie a beep or whatever?

When the back button lights white, you're charged. That's what I've noticed, although that doesn't help much in bright surroundings. I still can't get my mains charger to work, but don't wanna have to swap the whole package just because of that.

Guest mastakila

Fully charged 5.5h since it was plugged :)

WiFi/Off, BT/Off, 3G/On, GPS/Off

Can anyone recommend power management software that will turn WiFi/3G on when phone in use and turn it off when sleep button is pressed...

Guest oh!dougal
When the back button lights white, you're charged. That's what I've noticed, although that doesn't help much in bright surroundings. ...

Actually the manual (p 37) says that that LED ("green' :) ) indicates 90+% full.

So if anyone is stopping at that point, they could be missing out on an extra 10% charge ... ;)

Guest AndyHibberd
Fully charged 5.5h since it was plugged :)

WiFi/Off, BT/Off, 3G/On, GPS/Off

Can anyone recommend power management software that will turn WiFi/3G on when phone in use and turn it off when sleep button is pressed...

I'm trying out Juice Defender atm and it says I've boosted by about 30%. Haven't had extensive use so can't compare to not using the app.

I do understand what it does, aka when the phone goes to sleep (locks) it shuts off things like wifi, 3g, and sets 3g to come on for a short time every so often...very customisable, might invest in the pro version.