Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest charlie_82
18th October? Not sure where you got that idea from because as far as I am aware the initial speculation date was 1st November but recent news put it as being released on 18th November.

Not sure how much of the thread you've gone through, but that was Paul's initial tip-off from some PR people IIRC... The opening post infact...

The devices are scheduled to hit retail from the 18th October

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1437982

1st of November was speculation, yes. The most official dates offered were the 14th November and then the 18th November as this is what has posted on various sites & reviews. I don't feel like going through 24 pages of this thread but the info is all in here somewhere

Edited by charlie_82

Hi,

I was hoping I could get a few straight questions answered here, I am totally new to android just about to ditch my iphone 3g for a new phone probably desire hd or the like so will be learning fast.

I currently use my iphone for streaming video from my network storage at home problem is the video standards the iphone does not recognise severly hampers its use.

Secondly I also stream live TV to it from net based servers like tvcatchup etc.

I was thinking of getting a netbook untill I stumbled across the Vega which seems on the surface a lot better format.

So firstly will the Vega be sutable for streaming video from a NAS drive on the home network and which formats will it be able to use. I presume it will not come preloaded with any suitable apps so is 'sideloading'? going to be possible if so how easy is it, I can find my way round a PC but cant work with Linux and havent seen any android stuff yet.

Secondly as my new phone will be android based and hopfully 2.2 or better will it be easy to use the wireless link and therfore the 3G signal when needed ( I know the carrier may charge for the tethering bit) or will a USB link be required.

Lastly I have a N+ router and if the speed of the included 'G' on the vega is not enough to stream Hi Def stuff can I use a usb based N+ dongle?

I realise the Vega has not been seen yet but I think the questions are probably generic enough for some of you Gurus to be able to offer opinions,

Many thanks.

Guest swarrans
Grrrrr they've just reduced the price to 489 so code no longer valid.

Thanks anyway

Ill wait to see if there is any truth in the vega post above

Seems to be down to £479 today so it's going in the right direction!

I've decided I'm definitely going to buy the Vega when/if it comes out (BTW Carbonize, my car has inferior performance to a Ferrari, but I've decided I can live with it!)

Simon

Guest firedup
Seems to be down to £479 today so it's going in the right direction!

I've decided I'm definitely going to buy the Vega when/if it comes out (BTW Carbonize, my car has inferior performance to a Ferrari, but I've decided I can live with it!)

Simon

These seem like pretty desperate measures! This would only happen if the sales figures were poor. Oh dear. Who would have thought it was too expensive?

Guest firedup
These seem like pretty desperate measures! This would only happen if the sales figures were poor. Oh dear. Who would have thought it was too expensive?

PS it will have to fall to about £350 before I would consider it now, based on the reviews.

Guest charlie_82
PS it will have to fall to about £350 before I would consider it now, based on the reviews.

Haha definitely agree with you here. It's much too over-priced

Guest Carbonize

Having rewatched the Vega videos I would be tempted to get one but the main reason I went with the Archos 70 is that it has uPNP built in and I have yet found an easy way to stream the videos from my PC to my Android device like I do with my Xbox 360. Andromote seemed to download video files rather than stream them and setting up VLC each time is a pain.

Guest charlie_82
Having rewatched the Vega videos I would be tempted to get one but the main reason I went with the Archos 70 is that it has uPNP built in and I have yet found an easy way to stream the videos from my PC to my Android device like I do with my Xbox 360. Andromote seemed to download video files rather than stream them and setting up VLC each time is a pain.

Were you able to get Android Market on your Archos?

I've seen this but not sure how well it works: http://archosfans.com/2010/10/08/google-ma...ternet-tablets/

Guest amarko5
WTF??!!!

The Folio is now priced at £999 at PC World! ha ha ha, I'm guessing this is a mistake.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-foli...173544-pdt.html

i was in store today and its priced at the same LOL :huh:

I quizzed 3 different employees and could not get anything intelligable from them at all ( there was a destinct apathy of "I couldn't give a F$ck" ) it makes my blood boil that i see genuine kids with some nouse unemployed and then see these gibbons with a full time job.

I then went to the local currys store to the same reception, when i asked to try a tablet i got this response (we cant do that but our workington store can WTF) workington is some 40 miles away from this store.

if it wern't for the fact advent is their own make i am sure i would purchase it somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Guest simon.n.jonez

i got the same thing in bridgend today,i really wanted to buy the folio but the guy just said no coz he would have to sell it for £999.but im just gonna take it as a sign that the vega is out soon.

although im not that hopefull though coz i emailed the head of dixons pr who in in charge of the vega and all she could say is it will be released within the next few weeks BOOOOO!!!

Guest mickey_J
WTF??!!!

The Folio is now priced at £999 at PC World! ha ha ha, I'm guessing this is a mistake.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-foli...173544-pdt.html

I went into pc world bristol today, was about to buy the Folio they couldn't sell it coz its been recalled the guy said its something to do with the screen and battery, just av to wait for the vega now .

Edited by mickey_J

Guest Bisto321
I went into pc world bristol today, was about to buy the Folio they couldn't sell it coz its been recalled the guy said its something to do with the screen and battery, just av to wait for the vega now .

This is shaping up to be an epic fail for toshiba and PCW, bet that 21 day exclusive does not look so hot now :rolleyes:

I really like my folio, now it has flash and has been tamed with launcher pro.

I will keep it, unless the battery issue mentioned above is a safety thing. Mine does seem to leak juice on wifi!

Dont want to spoil your party, but I would think that unless Dixons Group/Advent are 100% sure that a repeat of the folio launch is not going to happen - the 18th might not be on :huh:

I mailed Dixons/PCW to ask if the Advent would have flash from launch and they stated that they had not yet been given the final specs of the device and would not like to speculate on this.

I hope it is out soon and is all it should/could be. Toshiba really would be shamed then.

Edited by Bisto321

Guest mickey_J
This is shaping up to be an epic fail for toshiba and PCW, bet that 21 day exclusive does not look so hot now :rolleyes:

I really like my folio, now it has flash and has been tamed with launcher pro.

I will keep it, unless the battery issue mentioned above is a safety thing. Mine does seem to leak juice on wifi!

Dont want to spoil your party, but I would think that unless Dixons Group/Advent are 100% sure that a repeat of the folio launch is not going to happen - the 18th might not be on :huh:

I mailed Dixons/PCW to ask if the Advent would have flash from launch and they stated that they had not yet been given the final specs of the decive an would not like to speculate on this.

I hope it is out soon and is all it should/could be. Toshiba really would be shamed then.

i really was looking forward to getting one, i just think they recalled it coz they had load of returns so they av to look into it. plus the one i played with was fine.

Edited by mickey_J

Guest ScaredyCat
Tesco is currently doing a 2 for 1 on club card vouchers when used to buy a tablet which is why I was looking the other day as I have £100 in vouchers which would be £200 towards a tablet. Trouble is all they had was iPad, Tab and a new one that is out of stock anyway.

Tesco are advertising the Galaxy Tab for 499 on TV.

SC

Guest Carbonize
I mailed Dixons/PCW to ask if the Advent would have flash from launch and they stated that they had not yet been given the final specs of the device and would not like to speculate on this.

Well in the video that out showing the Dixons rep demonstrating the Vega he shows that it has Flash by visiting the BBC iPlayer.

Guest Unguided
Well in the video that out showing the Dixons rep demonstrating the Vega he shows that it has Flash by visiting the BBC iPlayer.

Yes but do we know it was truly using Flash, as the guy said you this was something you couldn't do on an iPad. Funny thing is iplayer is fine on my iPad as it now uses HTML5

Guest Bisto321

Plenty of videos showing the folio running flash at IFA - looked what happened to that!

The flash apk is being built by Adobe/Nvidia (for all Tegra2 platforms), as I understand it, and IFA demos of the Vega and Folio were running beta's I believe.

No guarantee that a release version will be ready and tested fully for the Vega - probably why Advent/PCW/Dixons are reluctant to commit to it (quite wisely if the Toshiba debacle is to be avoided)

Better to get a good product to market late than to do a ‘folio’*

*now used in my daily conversations – e.g. “he’s made a right folio of that!”

Guest Carbonize
Better to get a good product to market late than to do a ‘folio’*

*now used in my daily conversations – e.g. “he’s made a right folio of that!”

Yes so nothing like the iPhone 4 fiasco then?