19 Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root

Guest PaulOBrien

visionary.r14.png

Note: This application is no longer being updated and is only recommended for use on Froyo builds.

VISIONary (so named because it was originally an application designed for the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision) is an application you install on your device that allows you to Temproot or optionally Permroot your device, using the 'rageagainstthecage' exploit.

How do I use it?

It's pretty simple really. The options appear as follows:

• Temproot on boot - use this to automatically Temproot on each boot (I suggest Temprooting manually first to confirm all is well before enabling this)
  • Run visionary.sh after root - this allows you to run a script (as root) after rooting. The script file is /data/local/visionary.sh
  • Set system r/w after root - this allows you to leave the /system partition read/write after root
  • Temproot now - root temporarily (the root wil be lost after reboot)
  • Attempt permroot now - attempt to apply a permanent root (please read the safety information below before doing this!)
  • Unroot now - this will unroot your device

Safety information!

You use VISIONary at your own risk! Although we test it as much as possible, we are unable to guarantee that weird things won't happen.

As a rule, the 'Temproot' option of VISIONary should be completely safe. It installs an application (Superuser) in the conventional way and then sets up a 'ramdisk' for the other parts, which is wiped on boot. As such, no changes are made to the system partition of your device, hence it is considered a 'safe options'.

Permroot on the other hand is inherently more risky. Permroot does make changes to the /system partition of your device. Technically speaking the only change that is made is the installation of a small file to /system/xbin, but any system partition change comes with risks. If you try to permroot, be aware that you might get into a situation where your device will not boot. For this reason, we recommend you have a 'safety net'.

In general, the best 'safety net' for going ahead and doing a Permroot is ensuring that you have a copy of the stock ROM to reinstall should things go wrong. This should be an original update EXE or zip from your device manufacturer / provider which matches the software version currently installed on your device. Bear in mind that flashing older versions is often not possible, so if your device has been updated over-the-air, an update may not yet be available in this form. Hence, you may not be able to find a 'safety net' and attempting to Permroot would be inherently risky. For HTC devices at least, one option would be to Temproot, edit the MISC partition to revert the 'mainver' to an older version, thereby allowing you to flash an update older than the currently installed version should things go wrong. That option is currently outside the scope of this post, although I will provide details on how to accomplish this in another post.

Got your safety net? Aware of the risks? The download is below.

Download

• r14 - (see changelog below for details) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: abc88d92524a6eeebda1f8908f1e0725

• The download is in APK format (if it is downloaded with a 'zip' extension simply rename). Copy to your device and click to install (or run 'adb install -r com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk' if you have the SDK installed).

NOTE: USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

And finally

If you would like to support VISIONary (and other MoDaCo work), please consider signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free / MoDaCo Plus account.

Enjoy!

P

Changelog

r14

• Minor fixes, wider release version
  • Information post updated
    • Test release is now the default
      • Temproot is now the default
      • Added option to try to Permroot (test on Desire HD, Desire Z and G2)
      • After permroot, required kernel module is placed in /data/local for your convenience
      • Added option to unroot
      • Note: this does NOT rewrite your hboot - you will need to do this manually to get S-OFF.
        • Added option to mount system r/w on boot (subject to the usual NAND / eMMC lock limitations)
        • Added option to enable / disable visionary.sh on boot
          • Now permanent rather than temp on non NAND/EMMC locked devices
          • Default launch now loads preference screen, where 'run on boot' can be configured
          • Other minor fixes
            • Much faster - thanks lilHermit for your help with the native code
              • More optimisations - please re-read inital post for an update.

• Far more reliable root sequence
                • r6

[*]Optimisations

r5 - MAJOR UPDATE!

[*]Process is now faster and ultra reliable!

[*]Run on boot can now be toggled from the main screen

[*]Application will no longer let you root if you're already rooted

r4

[*]Changes for Market compability (regular download not updated).

r3

[*]Application now warns if USB debugging is not enabled

r2

[*]Added run-on-boot version

[*]Now using tmpfs for reliability (thanks disconn3ct)

[*]Superuser.apk now lives on /data/app so settings persist (thanks disconn3ct)

r1

[*]Initial Release

Does This mean that something like Market Enabler is already good to go on the Desire HD? :-D

If so.. I'm off to order it now......................................

Guest appelflap

Great, great job! Thanks Paul.

BTW is it possible to send a Android broadcast message when root is finished, so other apps can run after the device is rooted? That would be great.

Edited by appelflap

Guest Bay Harbor Butcher

Is possible to make this app working for an untethered root in the future?

For the lucky people who has the new Desire HD..is it really the best Android phone ever?!

Guest appelflap
Is possible to make this app working for an untethered root in the future?

For the lucky people who has the new Desire HD..is it really the best Android phone ever?!

(Off topic: yep! :P It's fast, it's beautiful, it has a great camera, and o yes, it has a really big screen: I find me doing a lot of stuff on Android that I didn't before on my Galaxy S. It looks like it even replaces my iPad... BTW the density tweak is so nice on this device)

So, where were we...

this app is brilliant! i actually prefer it to full root given that the option to roll back is just an off-and-on away! ha

Edited by cezent

Guest AndyCr15

Can anyone give me the apk?

Market seems broken and I've just hard reset... only way to put apps back is Titanium Backup, which needs root... Catch 22!

Thanks.

Guest StefanCh

Cannot seem to find a list of compatible devices? Does it work for the Samsung Galaxy S? It is nicer to have something similar to Universal Androot :rolleyes:

S

VISIONary + is now in the Android Market @ £1.99. This is a COMPLETE OPTIONAL donate version with new features for testing.

I'll be updating the main VISIONary post with details on the Plus version and also adding a list of tested devices.

P

Guest redmongoose
VISIONary + is now in the Android Market @ £1.99. This is a COMPLETE OPTIONAL donate version with new features for testing.

I'll be updating the main VISIONary post with details on the Plus version and also adding a list of tested devices.

P

Just bought a copy. Nice to see perm root coming tomorrow :rolleyes:

Guest worcester4x4

VISIONary is not showing up in the Market - should it be?

As to the version from the D/L link on this thread - copy it to SD card root and run it from there? Or what?

EDIT - I hadn't even looked at the file when I posted the above, didn't realise it was an apk, sorry.

Edited by worcester4x4

r12 test version online! :rolleyes:

P

Changelog

r12 [test version]

• Temproot is now the default
  • Added option to try to Permroot (test on Desire HD, Desire Z and G2)
  • After permroot, required kernel module is placed in /data/local for your convenience
  • Added option to unroot
  • Note: this does NOT rewrite your hboot - you will need to do this manually to get S-OFF.

Guest mohit1234

i have the r10 version of visionary right now

so do i need to uninstall it b4 installing r12 or can i install r12 over it??

is the r12 working or is it still unstable?