Archos 501582 70 Internet Tablet

Guest sharaf

Guest niko1986
If it doesn't come with it you can just go to the built in firmware updater and it will update it's self.

How has Froyo improved the Archos? Almost time to choose whether to get this or the advent vega ;)

Guest trishmac

Hmm..if I'd read these posts first I prob wouldn't have gone for my archos 70..I'm so glad I didn't because it's awesome! Very bright and responsive..everything works great! Had to download an app to get the market on but it installed easily even for a noob like me. Just waiting on my leather case to keep the little dude safe..and recommend it to all..so there! ;) :P

Guest Bisto321

Sorry, ignore my original post below. Its the 7 not the 70 the in store tickets show 70 not 7! and the website shows the 70 spec too. The resistive screen should have made me think. Doh!

If anyone is dithering about getting a 70 or not - Staples now have the 70 8Gb model for sale at £129, that is great value.

Archos probably want to get customers from the Advent baby tab and need to price match it to compete.

Just been playing with one in store, resistive is not for me anymore ;) , but it is a great spec mini tab at that price.

Edited by Bisto321

Guest niko1986
Sorry, ignore my original post below. Its the 7 not the 70 the in store tickets show 70 not 7! and the website shows the 70 spec too. The resistive screen should have made me think. Doh!

http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/pcs-an...ternet-tablet-7

Is this link the one you were talking about. If they sent out a archos home 7, someone needs shooting for putting up the totally wrong specs, even the pdf shows capacative and 250gb hard drive ... bargain if those were the specs though.

Guest Bisto321
http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/pcs-an...ternet-tablet-7

Is this link the one you were talking about. If they sent out a archos home 7, someone needs shooting for putting up the totally wrong specs, even the pdf shows capacative and 250gb hard drive ... bargain if those were the specs though.

Yes. The staples site specs are a bit messed up I think ;) The one I played with in store had a resistive screen - they do look very similar, but I am sure the 70 has got to be miles better than the 7 - hence the price difference.

The store tags show Archos70 though, so I will pop in tomorrow and let them know.

If by a miracle they are Archos70's for £129, how many do you think I should buy? :P

Guest niko1986
Yes. The staples site specs are a bit messed up I think ;) The one I played with in store had a resistive screen - they do look very similar, but I am sure the 70 has got to be miles better than the 7 - hence the price difference.

The store tags show Archos70 though, so I will pop in tomorrow and let them know.

If by a miracle they are Archos70's for £129, how many do you think I should buy? :P

Seeing as pixmania is sold out and is selling them for about 160 i'd maybe get a spare and ebay it :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest max-greece
Seeing as pixmania is sold out and is selling them for about 160 i'd maybe get a spare and ebay it :(

Its hard to imagine how Archos could make this range any more confusing. The 70 looks to be the one to have - saw it in a store today and it seems great - even though the description says its 2.2 but settings say 2.1

Funnily enough the store had it marked as the 7 rather than the 70 - so the retailers ain't getting the range either.

From the short play the capacitance screen looks very good and the price is incredibly reasonable - lower than many phones. Not sure if it will support Flash - it will depend on whether the CPU is supported or not. Couldn't find the marketplace on there - so I guess its their own using a different icon that my eye didn't pick up on.

Aldiko is included - I read a couple of pages - that, at least, seems to work very well. Video didn't look all that good - I think the resolution is a bit low considering they are boasting about HD playback (720p). Seems a bit pointless on a 800*400 screen.

Certainly if you are looking at the likes of the Dell 5 inch then this one is a bargain at just under half the price.

Guest Carbonize
The 70 looks to be the one to have - saw it in a store today and it seems great - even though the description says its 2.2 but settings say 2.1

The 2.2 update was released November 30th and a subsequent bug fix was released on December 16th. 2.2.1 to be precise.

Not sure if it will support Flash - it will depend on whether the CPU is supported or not.

It happily supports Flash but we are waiting on Adobe to certify the optimised version of Flash Archos has made for these devices.

Couldn't find the marketplace on there - so I guess its their own using a different icon that my eye didn't pick up on.

It comes with AppsLib which is Archos's own variation of marketplace. I believe Google will not allow marketplace on tablet devices at present as it was initially only designed for phones. You can put market on the Archos device though by simply downloading the APK that can be found out there.

Video didn't look all that good - I think the resolution is a bit low considering they are boasting about HD playback (720p). Seems a bit pointless on a 800*400 screen.

The HD support is mainly to show that you do not have to convert your movies to watch them on the tablet. Also it has HDMI out so you can put your HD movies on there and watch them through the TV.