Android Market Install?

Guest Ledgerous

Guest Ledgerous

Hey everyone,

I purchased my Galaxy Tab a few days ago and annoyingly it doesn't have the android market app installed. The reason? I live in Dubai and they have decided in all their wisdom that I can't have the market. :P

I'm seriously pissed about this.

This is my first Android device, I use an iPhone as my daily... and from what I can see, without the Android Market this new shiny tab of mine is kinda disabled.

I've managed to Root it with advice from here, but I'm a bit stuck on what to do next to get market on there... I've tried to find an APK with no luck.

I dont even have the Facebook app ffs!!! :D

Little help?

Guest stevenz
Hey everyone,

I purchased my Galaxy Tab a few days ago and annoyingly it doesn't have the android market app installed. The reason? I live in Dubai and they have decided in all their wisdom that I can't have the mark

If you can enable debug mode, and use "adb install" via the android SDK, then you can probably install it. It's possible that they've removed some of the other framework so you might need a few extra files other than just the main .apk. You could get a dump of the /system partition and upload that, but if it goes wrong you'd need to be able to boot into a recovery menu and flash a new firmware, assuming one is available from anywhere.

Guest Ledgerous

Hey stevenz,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been able to install an app by copying it to the external memory of the tab, going to the file manager and 'installing' from there. That worked fine. Thing is I had an APK to install... I can't seem to find an APK for the android market app?

Guest mohsinalishah

Hi,

I bought by Galaxy Tab last week from Dubai as well and no market app here.

I have rooted it.

Can someone give a step by step guide to install the market app manuall on a rooted Tab.

Guest stevenz

If you download any custom ROM for any Android device, and look in the /system/app/ folder within the .ZIP file, the .APKs will be in there. You could try just copying that into your /system/app/ using "adb push Vending.apk /system/app/" and try your luck. The main marketplace app should be device-independant.

You _might_ also need:

DownloadProvider.apk

DrmProvider.apk

MarketUpdater.apk

If they're not already there. Make sure you can remove them if something goes wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stevenz
Try appbrain.com

No use whatsoever, Appbrain installs apps by sending links to the Market app, which won't work as it's not installed.

The latest GAPPS (Google Apps) package for HDPI devices (480x800) is available from here: http://db.tt/TOiJXvL

You can extract the Marketupdater.apk and Vending.apk from this and push them into the system app folder on the Tab and see if they work.

Alternatively, you can try updating the firmware as per elsewhere on this forum & XDA and see if that gives you the Market.