So, can anyone answer with certainty? Glass or Plastic?

Guest grcd

Is the touch-screen on our U8220/Pulse plastic or glass? It does feel like glass to me, but I am not sure...

If it is glass, does that mean that it can't be scratched, or just that it scratches less frequently/harder?

Guest BigBearMDC

For me it really looks like plastic. My screen bursted today in a few pieces, and the edges weren't sharp at all. I think they would be if the screen was made of glass.

Best regards

bb

This is confusing - Early reviews suggested it was plastic, but on examining it, I was first convinced it was glass, then someone persuaded me it was plastic by saying that they managed to melt it with a soldering iron, and now this photo of a smashed glass-like screen...

Perhaps it was something plastic on the rear side that they melted - some kind of laminated touchscreen film thing. Maybe the screen construction varies by region or submodel.

One thing is for certain, my screen is not scratch-proof - I have a couple of small scratches from grit that got stuck next to the screen.

It does seem to be highly scratch resistant - ie. so far immune to keys, pocket change, and (I just tested) my penknife blade. Test this at your own risk anyway, it's just my experience.

Anything will scratch if abraded by a harder material, ie. glass may be scratched by diamonds and some gemstones, some types of grit and sand etc. Lots of things really, but hopefully not the sort of things that show up regularly in pockets.

Of course if you have the original plastic screen protector installed then that will probably be scratchable by many hard things, but should peel off.

Guest LorianNod
its glass....tap it on your teeth and you can tell. :)

Mine was glass (no proof) but came with an almost perfect, hardly detectable, plastic screen saver already attached.

Edited by LorianNod

Guest BigBearMDC
Mine is glass for sure!

Just try to put your canine tooth into the top speaker and you feel it is glass.

Shouldn't the screens splinters be extremely sharp if it was glass? Because they aren't ... not at all :)

I think its not glass, but some sort of super - scratch resistant plastic. Not as hard as glass is, but by far harder than normal plastic. That would also explain why those broken screens look like they do. If the screen was made off glass there would very likely be more very small splitters at the point where the phone hit the ground. But that isn't the case - at least for me :) If it was plastic it should have by far less cracks and bigger splitters. So I think its something in-between. But I am really sure that it is not pure glass. Therefore its by far too elastic. I managed to punch my front-cover that hard that I was able to touch the screen behind it! If it was glass it would surely have broken into thousands of pieces :(

Best regards,

BB

Guest dino_mk

My front cover is cracked too ,fall on the cement floor, and it has a crack like glass.

There are no scratches just crack so I think it is a some type of glass.

Now a question, is the front cover part of the screen or it is just protective cover???