(FIXED) Issues with T-mobile apn when using google maps

Guest bobby-gg

Guest bobby-gg

I'm still having issue's with google maps on my Blade

It's rooted and running Paul's R2 software and I don't have any issues using the internet over a 3g+ network using either the APN backup/restore program settings or any number of manually inputted APN settings, including having no user name and password, to using 'user' and 'pass' or 'tm' and many others I can find listed

The problem I constantly have is every time I try to use google maps, or maverick for the that matter, I get a small square of map downloaded and then it drops the 3g connection, the download arrow never shows any data download, upload yes, but no download.

Then once this has happened I can't send or receive calls or texts, of connect to the 'net again, got to restart the phone before using it again.

I upgraded to the latest google maps the other day, and have also installed 'older' version but still the small problem happens

and this is regardless of where I am, home, work, out and about - always have a good 3g+ signal, but drops out on maps

Today I messed on with the APN settings and managed to get it to work, but then decided to tidy up all my apn's and guess what, it don't work again.....

just tried it again, watched 20 minutes of youtube over 3g no problem but drops out on google maps

what exact setting are people using for their T-Mobile APN settings?

can you please share, I'm really getting sick of not being able to use google maps

Edited by bobby-gg

Guest Stuart_f

If only there was a thread that lists the APN details.

If only there was an easy way of finding it. Something like a search tool perhaps?

------

Seriously - this is the umpteenth pointless thread that has already been answered and the OP could have found the info with a simple search. Are we being trolled by 4chan or something this week?

Guest bobby-gg
If only there was a thread that lists the APN details.

If only there was an easy way of finding it. Something like a search tool perhaps?

------

Seriously - this is the umpteenth pointless thread that has already been answered and the OP could have found the info with a simple search. Are we being trolled by 4chan or something this week?

mate, it's not a pointless thread, I've tried those setting, in fact I've tried everything I can get my hands on

I've did the search, tried the setting settings and guess what, I can't get google maps to connect, thats why I'm asking for help - nicely

and if you don't believe me this is what I've tried so far off the top of my head

APN Backup & Restore

T-Mobile

APN: general.t-mobile.uk

Username: leave blank

Password: leave blank

APN general.t-mobile.uk

Username user

Password tm

Homepage: http://wap.t-mobile.co.uk/ or http://www.t-zones.co.uk/

Access Point: general.t-mobile.uk

Gateway (IP) address :149.254.1.10 (alt: 149.254.201.132)

Username : user (alt: wapuser)

Password: wap

Session type: Continuous / permanent

Port number: 8080 (alt: 9201)

Authentication: Normal

tried changing the user name to tmobile with password as wap and many other combinations too

it all works for internet access, just not google maps

Edited by bobby-gg

Guest Stuart_f

T-Mobile settings

The settings in post 7 are the simplest and are the ones I have that work for me. My Google maps is v 4.6.0 (#4686).

You could try resetting the maps cache data in Settings -> Applications Settings -> Manage Applications

Guest bobby-gg
T-Mobile settings

The settings in post 7 are the simplest and are the ones I have that work for me. My Google maps is v 4.6.0 (#4686).

You could try resetting the maps cache data in Settings -> Applications Settings -> Manage Applications

those are the settings I've listed as trying, just after apn restore and backup in my post above

I'm also running v4.6, just updated again this morning from the market

and my clear cache button is greyed out because it's got no data in since I can't connect

Guest Stuart_f

Sounds very much like the problem is Google Maps not the APN settings.

Stab in the dark - does your google account end in gmail.com, googlemail.com or is it another address you have linked to a google account?

Guest bobby-gg
Sounds very much like the problem is Google Maps not the APN settings.

Stab in the dark - does your google account end in gmail.com, googlemail.com or is it another address you have linked to a google account?

it's googlemail.com, syncing with google works fine tho

gonna remove it again, I've got v 3.3 maps here that I'll install again tomorrow and start from scratch and see what happens

thanks for your help,

I'll post here just before I through it against the wall............

Guest legolamb
I'll post here just before I through it against the wall............

Know how you feel, I had to look all over the place (i.e. not on this site) before I found settings that worked with t-mobile.

Just tried my settings with maps and it works fine

name t-mobile internet

APN general.t-mobile.uk

username user

password tm

server http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002

mms proxy 149.254.201.135

mms port 8080

mcc 234

mnc 30

Authentication pap

apn type default

If I've not listed an option it's because it's not set.

some of these settings may not be required as I was trying to get my MMS messaging working at the same time, I had to set a different apn to do that in the end.

Let us know ow you get on

Edited by legolamb

Guest bobby-gg

thanks legolamb,

I deleted all my existing apn's and loaded your setting, still no joy, created another one with just general.t-mobile.uk as both it's name and apn so I've now got two apn listed, rebooted the phone

and it works, scanned around the whole local area and not once has it dropped out and I can come out of google maps and then still connect to the internet.

don't exactly know whats different from waht I've done before but it's a working combination so I'm leaving well alone for now.

Will test it over the next few days to make sure it's stable

thanks for all your help guys,

Rob.

Guest bobby-gg

failed twice yesterday whilst testing :)

I'm going to try another rom in the phone next just to see if that makes a difference

but on the bright side I found a nice phone reset app in the market that makes shutting down so much easier :)

Guest m_w_clarke

I had that APN set up and I couldnt send MMS!

Ive had to create a seperate APN for MMS (and rmeove the MMS setting from the default internet APN).

If you go to T-mobiles support pages and say your phone is the HTC DEsire you can get all the APN infomation there!

Guest bobby-gg

well guys, after still having problems from my testing the other day I installed Pauls R4 with clockwork last night

Still had problems with google maps but everything else fine.

Swapped this T-Mobile sim into my LG 620 running andriod 1.5 - maps ran no problem, but that version is not anywhere as good as andriod 2.1 maps

Put a Orange sim into the San Fran - and that too ran google maps no problem

Really getting pi$$ed off now, so for the hell of it rebooted with r5: Sebastian404's rom, haven't changed any APN's, still using the standard T-mobile one and it seams to be working fine, google maps tracked me all the way home and loaded every page

just downloaded my tracks from the market and I'll give that a go over the next few days and report back

Rob.