setCPU - Underclocking Profile

Guest EMMJAY

I would like to use setCPU for underclocking the CPU when the screen is off.

What setting have you been using?

and have you experienced any problems, e.g. force closes OR delay in receiving incoming calls (especially ring tone)

much appreciate,

Bince

Guest flatnote31

As I recall, the Blade is set to 600MHz max and 122MHz min....

Not sure if it'll be stable at slower speeds, but it's always good to test :rolleyes: :huh: :huh:

with respect to phone call receiving

after some testing i find that the phone rings instantly when you set the cpu to 122mhz, BUT there is 1-2 second delay in displaying who is calling.

to eliminate this use the 'second notch' roughly 245mhz.

I will be reporting on battery life tommorow. the 'mass' of testing will be done tonight when i take my phone off charge at 11pm and wake up at 7am.

noramlly my device will lose 5% of charge over night, this has been true for all the days of last few days.

Guest StevenHarperUK
with respect to phone call receiving

after some testing i find that the phone rings instantly when you set the cpu to 122mhz, BUT there is 1-2 second delay in displaying who is calling.

to eliminate this use the 'second notch' roughly 245mhz.

I will be reporting on battery life tommorow. the 'mass' of testing will be done tonight when i take my phone off charge at 11pm and wake up at 7am.

noramlly my device will lose 5% of charge over night, this has been true for all the days of last few days.

I am interested in this :rolleyes:

Is it possible to change the clockspeed when the phone sleeps (has screen off) It would be a great hack

Guest matt_tee
Can you also undervolt or only underclock at the time being?

What are the best 'optimal' settings for setcpu on the Blade?

What other options do we have for over/under clocking?

Thanks,

Matt.

Guest flatnote31

Is it possible to change the clockspeed when the phone sleeps (has screen off) It would be a great hack

yes, when the phone idles (i.e. screen off), processor would volt down to save power yet at the same time stay at a safe level to maintain responsiveness upon waking up.

not sure though if you leave lots of apps running in the back ground with data ON, if the processor will stay at the low set-poin and struggle synching or step up accordingly to keep up, in which case you're not gonna save on any processor-consumed power and saving will be limited to that from the screen being OFF

I put mine to 245 powersave mode while it slept. Shoved it in to aeroplane mode, because I was using it as a alarm. 8 hours, and NO battery loss :huh:

Lagged like hell when turning off the alarm, but it's livable :rolleyes:

Guest flatnote31
I put mine to 245 powersave mode while it slept. Shoved it in to aeroplane mode, because I was using it as a alarm. 8 hours, and NO battery loss :huh:

Lagged like hell when turning off the alarm, but it's livable :rolleyes:

I tried using mine as an alarm for a couple of weeks and....long story short....my annual leave balance has dropped badly!

that was a good perk about symbian, even when phone was turned off, alarm would still freak the heck out of you!

but regarding power saving, I agree, when I turn data connection OFF or put it in airplane mode, it sleeps like a baby without draining any precious power

i can confirm that it definately saves battery woke up to find it at 98% and browsed on wifi for 3 mins and was still on 98%!!!

i suggest using 'second notch' as max.

happy power saving :huh:

--

Bince MJ

Guest steff.jay

hey,

I lost 11% this night (7 hours) without any connections on! only clock in background. and also in general the battery is empty that fast B)

Is this a ROM-specific problem (using seba's404, wanna change to FLB-Froyo) or am I doing sth. wrong?

If you use the setCPU, is it bad for the phone/CPU in any way?

And will this work at any time (e.g. after 5min of screen off) or on special options (e.g. "use 245mhz from 12pm to 6am")

Thanks for help,

Stefan

• 1 month later...
Guest oh!dougal

This thread needs a comment somewhere that SetCPU (by itself, with stock ZTE kernels, as in most 'roms') does not permit overclocking.

I'm not certain that (on its own) it gives real underclocking - confirmed for example by Android System Info.

SetCPU certainly does control the cpu clockspeed of kallt_kaffe's custom-compiled kernels. (That is a great reason for usibg a rom based on one of kk's kernels.)

And limiting the clockspeed with that combination is very useful in stretching what the battery can deliver.

I have some simple profiles set to limit clockspeed - when the battery falls to 30%, more severely at 10% and always when the screen is off - and I control the clockspeed variation with 'conservative' scaling (and adjust the scaling under the 'Advanced' Tab to make it raise its speed more quickly).

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest deusum86
This thread needs a comment somewhere that SetCPU (by itself, with stock ZTE kernels, as in most 'roms') does not permit overclocking.

I'm not certain that (on its own) it gives real underclocking - confirmed for example by Android System Info.

SetCPU certainly does control the cpu clockspeed of kallt_kaffe's custom-compiled kernels. (That is a great reason for usibg a rom based on one of kk's kernels.)

And limiting the clockspeed with that combination is very useful in stretching what the battery can deliver.

I have some simple profiles set to limit clockspeed - when the battery falls to 30%, more severely at 10% and always when the screen is off - and I control the clockspeed variation with 'conservative' scaling (and adjust the scaling under the 'Advanced' Tab to make it raise its speed more quickly).

What settigs did you choose on advanced mode? I'm especially interested in sampling rate and the up threshold.

Thx in advance

Guest oh!dougal
What settigs did you choose on advanced mode? I'm especially interested in sampling rate and the up threshold.

I'd like it to change up very fast ("responsive") and die back over a few seconds of inactivity. Not easy!

I sample as fast as possible (but it seemingly won't hold anything more frequent than the half second default).

I'm changing up at about 40% by 40% and changing down at about 12%.

Setting 122 as the slowest speed.

Any other ideas welcome.

Especially any to tame "on demand" scaling!

Edited by oh!dougal

My phone goes back to default stock speeds after a reboot. Set speeds on boot (or whatever its called) doesn't work & if I have that option set then I need to force close setcpu to get back into setcpu after a reboot (otherwise it's just a black screen when i tap the icon). Anybody else having this problem?

Guest oh!dougal
My phone goes back to default stock speeds after a reboot. Set speeds on boot (or whatever its called) doesn't work & if I have that option set then I need to force close setcpu to get back into setcpu after a reboot (otherwise it's just a black screen when i tap the icon). Anybody else having this problem?

On FF, I was getting a message about not being able to read the recommended speeds on boot (I am probably paraphrasing slightly), so now on SS I have avoided setting main speeds on boot. A homescreen shortcut and a couple of taps after booting isn't a great pain. (I am not continually rebooting!)

Thought it might just be me ... :unsure:

What's the point in this? The CPU throttles and volts down on it's own anyway without anything additional.

By default the minimum speed is 246mhz, we can set it to 123mhz, so it uses less power while idle. The original poster was talking about setting the maximum to 246 to save even more power, but I think it could lead to a slow phone. Maybe at 400-500mhz max speed it could still be usable & the battery would last longer.

We can also change how quickly it speeds up/slows down, at what thresholds & triggers, etc.

My problem is, it wont save settings between reboots, so it's not worth setting up any complex profiles.

Edited by wbaw

There's a CPU off state when it's in suspend mode, which whilst I don't know what it means, only causes battery drop of 2% or so overnight, or in some cases no drop.

I found Battery History the most useful app for working out what was using what.

Guest EndruBoy

In my phone I can't see setCPU in Android Market. Even when I'm trying to download it through a QR code from xda forum.

Can you find it in Market or it's sg wrong with my phone?